How to paint ruins?

Thread: How to paint ruins?

Default How to paint ruins?

I'm very bad with mixing color and finding which color to use when, so I been trying to get similar effect to this on my base, but i never seem to find the right color... any help? (I'm using all GW paint)

My idea was a Iyanden base, but even that, its an early fail.

Try Charadon Granite, Dheneb Stone, Bleached bone, Ogryn Flesh, Gryphonne Sepia.

That should get you something similar.

Cheers, Gary.

Keep it simple. Drybrush the highlights and use wash's of drab colors.
    Here's a good example of all the grey's browns greens and such........NOT TOO BRIGHT THOUGH....subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by obsidianpainting View Post
    Try Charadon Granite, Dheneb Stone, Bleached bone, Ogryn Flesh, Gryphonne Sepia.

That should get you something similar.

Cheers, Gary.
    that would give a very gray tone to the color no?

Unless Gryphonne Sepia is there to reddish the overall color a bit?

That's an awesome ref pic Shawn. I think I like the idea of the little recipe Obisdian Painting is reccomending. I'll use that on a ruined base I need to do for a mini on my bench. Cool thread so far!

The recipe, with the bleached bone, will give a brownish colour. The charadon granite is a Deep Brown grey, and then the dheneb stone is a light brown grey. and then bleached bone is a yellow colour. Then you wash particular areas with ogryn flesh and gryphonne sepia, the flesh wash will give a reddish tinge, and the sepia a more natural yellow brown tinge. It should be pretty good. To be honest i've never used this mixture, but it just looks like thats similar to the tones in the pic you put.

Check it out and see how it looks. and yah Shawn, Great pic!

cheers, Gary.