avatar just broke 1.18 billion (us)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: avatar just broke 1.18 billion (us)

Default avatar just broke 1.18 billion (us)

i mean....is anyone else amazed at how fast this movie has made money? i just find it crazy. and might i add it really is the best movie i have seen in 10 years. estimates put this movie at toppling titanic sometime in february or march. most are saying it will easily break 2 billion dollars worldwide.
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

Everybody goes on about Titanic but Gone with the Wind is the highest grossing movie ever and Star Wars: A New Hope is second. Got to take inflation into account. The big deal is how many people went to see it.

oh i understand inflation and what not.... but its still pretty amazing none the less. could someone post a link or how much gone with the wind would have made adjusted to today's money?
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

Well, it certainly had enough publicity, it even got an extended advertisement in an episode of Bones.

Marc
    Help me to hatch my eggs , click on it

It has been earning at a prodigious rate, by next week it's sure to have passed the US gross of The Return of the King for its entire run, which is really quite something. Already far surpassed The Two Towers, Iron Man and The Sixth Sense.

@SJB, worth reading: Why I Don't Like the 'Adjusted for Inflation' Box-Office Argument and Geek Trivia: Grossest of the gross

Got to remember too that those adjusted figures are for US gross only. Don't know if adjusted figures for worldwide are possible.

Einion

found this, thought it might be applicable.

Marc
    Help me to hatch my eggs , click on it

Why don't they just go by 'seats sold' as opposed to money figures?

Because the facts aren't as important as the 'pow!' you get with the story.

Either way, I still wanna see the movie...I just hate going to the theatre however. Cell phones and chatty people have ruined it for me.

gosh, that movie must be something then. wonder why i feel just so uninterested of it, to me it seems like another boring semi-animated movie but i must be wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    Why don't they just go by 'seats sold' as opposed to money figures?

Because the facts aren't as important as the 'pow!' you get with the story.

Either way, I still wanna see the movie...I just hate going to the theatre however. Cell phones and chatty people have ruined it for me.
    Theatres tend to keep track of money earned, not how many seats they sold. Maybe it's a business thing.

I saw it in the first week, in 3D, and was blown away.
    In the jungle scenes, the bugs were so life-like that I kept trying to swat at them.
    I wasn't alone in that.
    That's as close to a spoiler as I'm going to put up for you people that haven't seen it, yet.

Blog Entries

Ah, but in the way Hollywood figures a movies profits, it still hasn't made one -
    Dr. Walter Bishop: I have used this technique to extract information from a corpse once. You can do that if they haven't been dead for longer than six hours.
    Peter Bishop: [in the background] Right, 'cause after six hours, that's when they're really dead.

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar. S. Clemons

Because I don't have enough madness in my life : http://topographyworkshop.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    Either way, I still wanna see the movie...1
    I just hate going to the theatre however. 2
    Cell phones and chatty people have ruined it for me.3
    1: It's an enjoyable piece of Sci-fi as well as "eye candy". Despite several descriers on here the main storyline has been taken from LOTS of Sci-Fi stories over the years and I don't have an issue with it. AND the gunships have such an appeal to converters. Oh and Dragons, man those colour schemes made me go all "twitchy" to try em.
    2: Its a Cinema not a Theatre.

3: Well having seen it twice, I have to admit that over here we had NO issues with either cell phones or noise at either showing. However I admit to falling into the "Grumpy Old Men" category by telling someone to shut their phone off once.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

It's a decent action flick but it's a looooooooong way shy of being the fantastic epic it's been made out to be.

The amount it's taking will assure the inevitable piss-poor sequels and prequels.

I wanna see the sequel. 3d made the film even better! Plus we all looked silly wearing the glasses :P

I've chosen my side.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    2: Its a Cinema not a Theatre.
    Actually, it's a movie theatre, not a cinema.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post

3: Well having seen it twice, I have to admit that over here we had NO issues with either cell phones or noise at either showing. However I admit to falling into the "Grumpy Old Men" category by telling someone to shut their phone off once.
    yeah i have never had noise issues in the cinema. i do have issues with pay the 900% price on fucking popcorn though. i hate the fact that for the price of a decent take away you get corn and a drink. thats a right not a damn privilege!!! they should give it to me for the bloody price i am paying for that seat!!!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Saw it twice myself, first time in 3D and then in reg. Much better in 3D, even if the glasses make my eyes all twitchy at times. As to popcorn Freak... Movie Theaters only make a profit off the junk food sales, not the ticket prices. The distributers of the movie set the ticket prices for the most part. HOWEVER 7 fickin bucks for sme popcorn and 4 bucks for a drink is downright insane.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy2k View Post
    Actually, it's a movie theatre, not a cinema.
    Actually, he is right. The difference is American and Proper English.

"Outside of North America, most English-speaking countries use the term cinema (pronounced /ˈsɪnɨmə/, but formerly spelt "kinema" and pronounced /ˈkɪnɨmə/). Both terms, as well as their derivative adjectives "cinematic" and "kinematic," ultimately derive from the Greek κινῆμα, -ατος, "movement." In these areas the term "theatre" is usually restricted to live-performance venues.
    In the United States, the customary spelling is "theater", but the National Association of Theatre Owners uses the spelling "theatre" to refer to a movie theater."
    Yeah, I know, It's Wikipedia
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
    Actually, he is right. The difference is American and Proper English.
    Ah. So, Americans don't speak proper English? I'll have to tell the girlfriend that...

I think what you're referring to is BRITISH English...

That's what I said! Proper English!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.