haitian earthquake

Thread: haitian earthquake

Default haitian earthquake

place to talk about the devastation. two of my nurse friends are shipping out tonight to go there and help for, well until its done.
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

Good god. A magnitude SEVEN, more or less right under Port au Prince. And TWELVE aftershocks at between 5-6. The destruction must be horrendous. And Haiti being very poor a country...

The city cathedral, a hospital, several diffrent schools and ministry buildings were damaged, and the palace, the UN mission to Haiti, a hotel and the World Bank were all destroyed.

A person from UN mission whom I know is apparently missing, but the phone there is very sketchy and he will not be highest priority at the moment so we hope that it is just that - lack of communication.

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

In reality I’m afraid the dead toll is going to be huge, these poor people basically have “Nothing”

They are trying to reach the trapped with bare hands, and the next few weeks are going to be a nightmare.

I hope our Government sends the Marines with our rescue worker as there will be trouble before this is over.
    " So remember that, when they're beating your ass with a metal shovel while you're dressed as Little Bo Peep - it's not deviant...it's art.

Haitian prime minister talks about more than 100.000 dead people. That's absolutely horrible.

With a population of approx. a million, that means one in ten dead! That's horrifying. And add to this the fact that Haiti is one of the poorest nations in the world, that would mean that the number is likely to rise due to lack of pretty much everything.

so awful. ive given what little money i could to the red cross. the people have no resources to help themselves....
    text haiti to 90999 for an automatic $10 donation to the red cross.
    some of the images and videos are just wrenching. dead children on the sidewalk, people just sitting with missing and broken limbs.
    i just saw a story of a girl pulled from the ruins of her home. she said she could hear people dying beneath her in the rubble.

heartbreaking

Oh dear God. First I heard there were a couple of hundred missing, I thought the toll woud probably rise.. but didn't imagine this. Many parts of Port-au-Prince seems to be in ruins. It's just so unfair given the recent history of hurricanes and chaos.
    Last edited by Avelorn; 01-14-2010 at 08:46 AM.

This was said higher up, but it bears repeating.

Text 'Haiti' to 90999 to donate $10 to the Red Cross.

To you and me, ten bucks is a spit in the ocean. To the people of Haiti it's a life line.