Rock texture terrain help

Thread: Rock texture terrain help

Default Rock texture terrain help

Hi all! For the last week I've been working on a project which I really want to get done before januari 31.
    I'm still stuck at a point though. I need to cover the foam (pictures below) in some sort of putty and make it rock-textured. I was thinking of isolationputty from a spray can which expands 2/3 itself. But I don't know if I can shape that putty into a rocky texture after it hardened.

The other plan was to use clay which I don't have to bake to get hard. But I'll need a good lot of it and I have to shape it all too.

Last: paper mache. But that won't end up as a rocky texture in anyway, it just makes it sturdy and fills up the gaps... or will it have a rocky texture?

Please CMON! I need idea's for this as I really don't know what to do next.

Quote Originally Posted by uberdark View Post
    i prefer to get two miniatures and rub them around on my gaming bobos.
    Totally going for #1 -->

I really wouldn't recommend the spray insulation unless you want a complete headache. I actually have a couple "minis" that I did using the foam in my gallery. The paint just slid all over it and never looked right. Thus, they became swamp creatures.

Maybe a quick trip to the hardware store for some lightweight wall spackle. I've actually got a tub of textured stuff from the previous house owner that I'm eventually (possibly) going to use as terrain. I've bought some stuff before that felt like paste foam. That might do the trick as it would be lightweight.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Hmmm, I saw your 'swamp creature' Would have to find out if I could scrape some off so it looks more rocky textured.
    As for the wall spackle, I thought of that, but I think it is to sticky and it'll just stick to my equipment. But I guess that's the same with clay.
    Totally going for #1 -->

Quote Originally Posted by A Luna View Post
    Hmmm, I saw your 'swamp creature' Would have to find out if I could scrape some off so it looks more rocky textured.
    As for the wall spackle, I thought of that, but I think it is to sticky and it'll just stick to my equipment. But I guess that's the same with clay.
    Once the foam is cured, it's smooth on the outside and much like floral foam on the inside. Figure even if you slice things off, you'll still need to apply some sort of coating to fill in the holes. Might make a good volcanic look, or maybe if it got bashed real good. Hmm... now you've got me thinking. Wonder if I've still got the stuff lying around.

In any case, I think it's pretty cheap. Nothing says you can't grab a can and make a test base on something that you don't mind tossing in the trash.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Maybe let the wall spackle sit it sit up some before sculpting so it's not as sticky? I've used course pumice gel for rock/sand/grass texture that works wonderfully. Maybe add a tad bit water to make it runny, then add in some truely rough sand for a more rocky texture. However the pumice gel is really expensive for the amount you want to cover since it's $15 for 16 ounces. If you went witht he pumice gel i would suggest useing wall spackle to fill in the gaps, general coverage and rough shape then define it with a layer of the pumice gel.

I've not made terrain in years but I think polyfilla (or equivalent) is pretty standard. Hasn't every home-owner got half a box at the back of a cupboard somewhere? It'll give you some weight to the base as well to keep it steady if arms knock the tower during play. Cheers, B.

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/p...lla_powder.jsp
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

If you want to learn to paint minis, you come to CMON. You want to learn to make terrain you go here.
    I would suggest this article for one and this one as another. The forums are always packed full of great advice as well, just like here.
    It pays to learn from the best the world has to offer, especially when its free . But then thats just my 2¢ worth.
    Oh, sure. Throw logic at the problem! - BarstoolProphet
    Hmm. I always thought the crease in my hand and some sweat did a better job than my mouth. - evil tendencies
    Oh, how bad could it be? It's only for one day. - BarstoolProphet

I'd take a bit of sandpaper to all the edges first, as it's obviously been eroding for a while, then slather it in filler that you've added grit and sand to.

Marc
    Help me to hatch my eggs , click on it

Plaster of Paris, cheap, plentiful, easy to carve, easy to texture, not too heavy, 's good stuff.

Squig

either poloy filler or plaster of paris, then while still wet press a suitable rock (one with lots of texture) into the filler in places this will give you some good texture.
    Or buy insulation poloystyrene (usually pink or blue) break it up and sand a few edges then stick on where to want it,fill in gaps with filler paint with a dark gray outdoor masonary paint (go for the non smooth stuff) when dry a few good dry brushes will have it looking a treat

PS. make your bed LOL
    Come join the Fun

Try Woodland Scenics ROCK MOLDS

There is also a tutorial to show how the molds work.

Railway modellers use Cork Bark.
    Easy to cut with a saw looks reasonably rock like.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

i would use deep gap pollyfiller. it's like a normal filler but airier. it means it dries hard but is lighter than a massive lump of filler. it also has a great rough texture that you don't get with normal filler (unless you mix grit with it). fab stuff
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

@Onis Lair: I could give that a try but yes its expensive I guess filler seems to be a good one.

@exilesjjb: Yes ma'am I've already got the blue and pink foam, but I guess its too thickto fill in any holes.

@DaGoz: Thanks, I had that site in my favourites for a while but I lost it somehow and I couldn't recall the name. Thanks for the articles, but I don't think they are really useable for this stage :\

@BPI & Squig & Freak: I'm going to give the deep gap filler a shot, it'll cost me something but I've used the normal filler before. I just thought it would be too sticky and that it would only stick to the tool I'd be texturing with. I trust on all your expertise

@DXM: Thanks for the link, I'll certainly order something from them sooner or later, but for now I can't, just don't have the time for that.

@Dragonsreach: I've searched the web for some, but I will need almost flat pieces who aren't to thick. I just need a fast solution, but I really like that stuff
    I will look into a hobby shop sooner or later.

Thank you very much everyone! You really helped me out a lot and I'll let you know who it turned out with deep gap filler.

I also got a lot of idea's for later projects, what to use 'n such. Thanks again! Have one on me
    Totally going for #1 -->

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

what type of terrain are you shooting for? Eroded rock? Rough beach sand/shale? stacked rock retaining wall?

All will be different. Some of your hirst arts bits suggest old walkways and retaining walls, so I'll assume you are looking to fill in the remainder with beach sand?

Get a tub of drywall texture or lightweight Spackle or PlayDo makes large tubs of air dry clay. Get the desired shape within 1/8" to 1/4" of where you want the finished product. Use metal or plastic putty knives (spatulas) to work it. Keep the knives wet and it won't stick to the tool. Don't put on too much at once, work in layers.

Let dry. It will shrink. Repeat - fill in the void and cracks that open up. The lightweight shrinks less so is worth the difference in cost. If you put on too much and it shrinks too much, it will warp your Styrofoam.

On the final coat, develop the texture you want with press molds (rocky outcrops, bricks, etc.) or get a bag of play sand and a big bit of carpenter's glue (yellow) Thin the glue about 3 parts glue/1 part water. Brush on liberally. Sprinkle sand into the glue. Let cure. Repeat as necessary to fill in any areas that seem sparse.

Larger rocks? Hit the aquarium stores. The under gravel is sold in several sizes - natural or polished.

DXM's idea on the rock molds is great. I've got a few of their molds and throw bits of leftover plaster into them. Great things for throwing on bases.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.