Thread: Pig Color?

Newbie, please be gentle Gashrak's Avatar

Default Pig Color?

Hi,

Anyone have a suggestion for an appropriate "pig color"? Im using GW/vallejo and I'm looking for a pink fleshtone like on the pigs below. Anyone have a suggestion for shade/basecoath/ highlight colors?

I tried using the usual fleshtones (dwarf flesh, elf flesh etc) but it just dosent look right.

//Gash

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

The only time I've ever seen pigs that pink is when they are on the BBQ.

Most are in the brown to black range with bits of white if they are cross bred with ferel domestic pigs.

But here's about the closest I've ever seen to a pink pig:

Pink undercoat with a heavy white drybrush to simulate the hair should do it...
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

Hi GashRak, I have a GW Orc Raider with a pig under his arm, I was going to paint it like a Gloucester Old Spot, which gives you the porcine pink but you can bung black patches on to break it up a little A Google Image search for "pig breed" rather than just "pig" seems to bring up plenty of options though. Good luck, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Thx Guys

Yeah those spotted ones are nice. You have any suggestions for the actual colors to use?

If you want them to be that pink then flesh mixtures won't be right since most are orange or scarlet and you want something quite a bit more red.

The simplest way of doing this is just finding (or mixing) a basic red or rose/crimson colour and then just adding more and more white as needed for the lighter colours.

Einion

Hi GashRack, "...actual colours...", well the mini is in my pile of unpainted metal but off the top of my head: White basecoat, Tittilating Pink wash (unstirred, just the clearer redder liquid off the top), Black spots, Scorched Brown highlight on spots, thin Bleached Bone over the pink to tone it down a little. With lots of room to smear him in mud too B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Thx

Ive been experiment with lots of different reds.As Einion says most fleshtones turn more towards ornange than pink when I add white.

Vallejo flat red+blood red+ white did the trick. I dont know if its the most realistic pig color but it sure is pink enough..

will post the result soon