Joek's attempt to start a mini company. - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Joek's attempt to start a mini company.

Nicely done. I'd suggest a bit more red tone to his face. I'm assuming he's angry and not dancing and irish jig.

Im going to watch your website with interest and as soon as you get one of the elfs in stock order one as i love the whole model.
    www.ohmodels.co.uk - My buisness.

Ive nearlly finished the skin on my barbarian. Should hopefully get him finished today or tomorrow.

I want to paint some minis for your company

Thought folks might want to see the latest sculpt for JoeK Minis.

The new figure is what I like to think of as my 'special' piece. It's the figure that out of all others I wanted to make, and damned to the consequences. I found a sculptor willing to do it (which is nice), and not just any sculptor, I managed to bag Allan Carrasco

This - I think - is a good thing.

Anyhoo, he's called 'Servant Prime', is the chief 'bad guy' in an old 4 issue comic called 'Hieroglyph' by Ricardo Delgado, who has been kind enough to give me permission to use his likeness! Much info to come, but for now, I'll show you the sculpt

I hope you like it! I don't think anyone can like it quite as much as me, but then I'm...erm...a fanboy.

I like this one and im definatly going to have to order one.

Well, the idea of pre-ordering sounded like a good idea, but I've been reliably informed it's actually a rather dodgy thing to do in the eyes of the law (not completely sure I understand it all exactly, but enough to know I don't want any undue hassle for something that will be coming in the next week or so!), so when I have the figures, I'll do the usual thing, send out an email to folk a couple of days before I release it on the website.

The big thing I have decided to do, and this will apply to all figures going forwards is that I'm dropping the selling price of all new figures to £10 including postage world-wide. Quite honestly, I despair of folk moaning about the excessive prices of figures out on the market, and all I want to do is have enough to restock and develop. Working it all out, £10 is pretty much the limit I can go to whilst still ensuring all bases are covered - I'm probably going to put an end to the 300 limited edition thing too - quite honestly, if any of the figures I sell get close to selling 300, I'll be very happy, but it'll take an awful long time. Also, far be it for me to cut off my nose to spite myself, and stop selling something that people actually still want to buy!

However, what I'm intending to do is set up a raffle thing for the first 100 sold - all of these will come with the certificate of entry, and the when 100 are sold, the winner will get one of each of the new releases throughout 2010, and until the end of 2011. Which, I hope sounds fair and dandy to all of you!

Increasing my web of retail partners is something which I've been thinking of too - believe me when I say that I don't really get much in the way of profit by doing it, but I do get an enormous amount of extra publicity which more than makes up for it. The fun thing with getting the figures into shops is that I use funky blister packaging - I'm a sucker for packaging at the best of times, and I rather like the home-made charm of mine . I can honestly say that each and every figure I sell has been lovingly packaged by yours truly! With my filthy, filthy hands....snigger.

Good luck with the changes and thats often the way things happen. I like your packaging style, ive seen some on sale at a model show recantly.

As for the price of course you dont want to price yourself out of the market but unless your giving the stuff away for free you will always get a few grumbles. The thing is to have faith in the quality of what you produce and sell them on that and your passion and drive.

As for pre orders i agree it can get nasty, ive seen it happen and thats one reason i wont take cash for pre orders. There is no harm in taking names and email adress and contacting them once the product is available. I do it that way, i have a list on my website of whats coming next and then people email me expressing an interest and i will then let them know when the product is ready. Feel free to have a look at my website to see what i mean.

I've been on CMON for a while, but I found your thread while googling for something completely different (Dark Horse comics; specifically Hieroglyph, of course).

Holy crap man, you're releasing a figure of Prime! I saw you got permission from Mr. Delgado, which is awesome! Without going into too much detail about whatever agreement you guys made, is he interested in this? Do you plan on sending him either a cast or a painted one?

I just signed up for your newsletter. Not a fan of the barbarian, but I'm a little dissapointed that the Elf is sold out. You can bet I'll be placing an order for Servant Prime. Glad your company is doing well!
    Blasting forth in three part harmony!

Quote Originally Posted by Prophecy07 View Post
    I've been on CMON for a while, but I found your thread while googling for something completely different (Dark Horse comics; specifically Hieroglyph, of course).

Holy crap man, you're releasing a figure of Prime! I saw you got permission from Mr. Delgado, which is awesome! Without going into too much detail about whatever agreement you guys made, is he interested in this? Do you plan on sending him either a cast or a painted one?

I just signed up for your newsletter. Not a fan of the barbarian, but I'm a little dissapointed that the Elf is sold out. You can bet I'll be placing an order for Servant Prime. Glad your company is doing well!
    Sorry! I missed this

Ricardo's really happy with how he's turned out. Which is a bit of a relief! Early on, it did take some convincing to get him to come on board - simply because the comic has long since passed out of most folks' consciousness (11 years now!), and it's not that often you get a stranger emailing you enquiring whether he could make little resin figures of your stuff! However, when he realised I wasn't a crank, he was very happy to say yes (I think...He might have just wanted me to go away...). And happily, he's very happy with the end result. I mean, I'm happy with him! I love him to bits

I think everyone should have one in their home.

Yes indeed.

Blog Entries

I love the latest one Joek. The reason the last one intrigues me more than the others is because I feel the need to know what is going on under that cloak. Normally I am not one for poking around under peoples cloaks, but because this guy kind of looks shorter than he should be it intrigues me. Very cool, not heard of the comic mind.

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Quote Originally Posted by dogfacedboy uk1 View Post
    I love the latest one Joek. The reason the last one intrigues me more than the others is because I feel the need to know what is going on under that cloak. Normally I am not one for poking around under peoples cloaks, but because this guy kind of looks shorter than he should be it intrigues me. Very cool, not heard of the comic mind.

dfb
    Cheers DFB!

I won't spoil it for you, but the model does have a face of sorts (it's just a bugger to photograph!). It was something that's never shown in the comics, but I was lucky enough to have access to a few sketches to know what was going on. I'm fairly certain it's not what you'd imagine lurking underneath there.

Well, unless you've see a model in the flesh, and then you'd know

i never knew this thread existed!

joek I'm well impressed!

love the elf and the prime! (tho i may be too late to get one)

Tommie!

I'VE ADDED WEBCAM LESSONS NOW TOO!
    And a YOUTUBE channel
    Instagram and FaceBook too

Beautiful minis. I saw the Servant Prime at WAMP and had already put it in my "to buy" list, i didn't knew it was from a fellow CMON member. I'll sure pay a buying visit to your site in the future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joek View Post
    Cheers DFB!

I won't spoil it for you, but the model does have a face of sorts (it's just a bugger to photograph!). It was something that's never shown in the comics, but I was lucky enough to have access to a few sketches to know what was going on. I'm fairly certain it's not what you'd imagine lurking underneath there.

Well, unless you've see a model in the flesh, and then you'd know
    Its not a bunch of halflings standing on each others shoulders and pretending to talk in an ominous scary voice is it ??? !!!

dfb

ps, would like to get one, but you ain't seen the piles I already have!!! Ought to paint them I 'spose...

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...