WIP: Ambush in the sewers - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Ambush in the sewers

hey! nice to see you havent given up on this, if i remember correctly you painted some rats at the same time i did...2yrs ago? hope everything works well with the water, you deserve it!

I didnt see this thread previously, but wow that looks like a hell of a diorama. I can see why it might take
    a while. keep up the good work.

Yes great diorama, keep up the good work
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Man that OSL is something else. I keep looking for the LEDs.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Thx all Feels good to hear your encouragement.

SkelS, yes, you remember correctly. Topic was about that rats which had coincidentally the same colour scheme And yes, it might be up to 2yrs ago. Feels as if my project is becoming an epic task; even slaying some wererats and their champion in the sewers probably is done quicker - perhaps I should hire some well equiped professional heroes for it

First flooding yesterday everning worked well as far as I can judge it already right now. Just a picture of the sewer with 1st filling (approx. 5 mm) under a made-to-measure dust protection box.

Now, I'll have to wait for approx. 1 week before I can fill in the next 5 mm

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    Man that OSL is something else. I keep looking for the LEDs.
    Well - don't laugh: Since I bought very tiny optical fibre for modelling 2 weeks ago, I do regret a bit for not having found them earlier. Of course it would be a very hard work to integrat the fibre into the torches and the magic sphere, but... wow... but though I wonder how it would like with LED's I think I'll leave it as it is considering the stage I am now.
    Last edited by DunErwit; 04-25-2013 at 04:19 AM.

I've seen it done before, usually in the modelling community. It takes a lot of planning, and usually a controlled environment (like a shadow box) to make it really work. Which reminds me - I wonder why we don't see any shadow boxes in the mini community? Talk about a great way to manage both viewing angle and lighting.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Just found this thread today. Such an awesome job. Congratulations on sticking with the project for so long. I understand completely how things change when children come. I didn't paint again until my little girl was 5. Really looking forward to see how the water comes together.

Very nice to see this thread alive again. was a bit surprised when it showed up again Looking forward too see this until the end of the project.

/Kretcher
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

Thx once again, happy you like it.
    BTW, me too, I was a bit surprised when yesterday I suddenly was in the mood to start the flooding Originally I wanted to continue with an other, new project, my illuminated LED Star Wars Mouse Pad. But for some unknown reason, I decided that finally time had come to fill in the modelling water.

While I am waiting for the epoxy to harden, I have painted the last torch today:

Will see what I can do tomorrow. Won't be very much time since my sister-in-law and her family will come in the afternoon, staying for the week-end.
    Cheers

These family members always there and disrupting things
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

Hey, welcome back!! What material are you using for the water?

Hi,

I finally use Epoxy Glosscoat (High Gloss Coating Resin) from VossChemie, purchased it via lksshop.de, 40 € + shipping: http://store.lksshop.de/epages/61600...oducts/000.086

As the Woodland Scenics Realistic Water in my tests did not work always 100% as expected, I did some Internet research and found, that this Epoxy from VossChemie is used by some master model railway makers. It has a very very slight yellowish tone (which I had read before already), but as sewer water usually isn't crystal clear and ment for drinking , it's perfectly ok for me. Not at least I did add a couple of drops of brown/umbra ink anyway.
    And finally almost no Epoxy modelling water is 100% colourless clear in the end - depends only of the colour tone.

This one from VossChemie certainly isn't the cheapest solution; any hardware store might have cheaper (noname) Epoxy materials. But I worked for so long on this scenery, and I always was quite anxious about this water filling step - I don't want to take any risks at all.

Super ambitious project, I doff my online cap to you! Great job so far, you must be excited to finish?
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DunErwit View Post
    Hi,

I finally use Epoxy Glosscoat (High Gloss Coating Resin) from VossChemie, purchased it via lksshop.de, 40 € + shipping: http://store.lksshop.de/epages/61600...oducts/000.086

As the Woodland Scenics Realistic Water in my tests did not work always 100% as expected, I did some Internet research and found, that this Epoxy from VossChemie is used by some master model railway makers. It has a very very slight yellowish tone (which I had read before already), but as sewer water usually isn't crystal clear and ment for drinking , it's perfectly ok for me. Not at least I did add a couple of drops of brown/umbra ink anyway.
    And finally almost no Epoxy modelling water is 100% colourless clear in the end - depends only of the colour tone.

This one from VossChemie certainly isn't the cheapest solution; any hardware store might have cheaper (noname) Epoxy materials. But I worked for so long on this scenery, and I always was quite anxious about this water filling step - I don't want to take any risks at all.
    I'm asking because you also have the polyester resin option. It comes in crystal or normal, being the first clear and the second yellowish ( although the crystal one tends to get yellow after some time ). Depending on the amount of catalyst you use, it can cure much faster, especially if you are doing it by layers.

http://www.resin-supplies.co.uk/resins.htm

@Willdorling:
    Thx. And yeeesss, really excited to finish it... since years. And in my dreams, it is already...

@Alexandra:
    Thanks for that tip.
    But as I've already started with the Epoxy, I'll stay with it - don't know if Epoxy and Resin work together... Nevertheless, the investment is already done, too

But I'll keep the Resin option in mind if my Epoxy charge is empty and the next diorama with water comes - though my next projects won't need any (or only so small quantitites, that the Woodland Realistic should do it).

Glad to see progression this. I like your tenacity.

i dont seem to have commented on this earlier. that´s wierd, since i´ve been following the progress for a while and really liked what i saw! the old school diorama style appeals to me. cant wait to see what happens with the water!

Question Help / advice needed for decision about female warrior

Hi everbody,

I did the 2nd filling last Wednesday, once again everything worked fine until now. That epoxy glosscoat really is an excellent casting material.
    Only 2 more fillings (the next one on Thursday, I think), and I’m done – with the lower sewer level. Soon, I’ll have to give thoughts to the upper level and especially that little waterfall. And the edge and the bars need some more greens hanging downwards.

PS, @Ischa: Hopefully, there’s not happening much more with the water than curing and looking (very) good

Meanwhile, I finally ordered a couple of female warriors/paladins for my front hero combatant standing next to the dwarf. It took me until now to decide which minis to short-list cause I want a really well equipped and experienced looking female fighter instead of those many only lightly dressed beauties. Not to mention that she should show a combat-ready posture, of course.

Unfortunately it’s quite difficult to decide which one of them to take in the end:
    - I already excluded Monique Denoir (Reaper): On the one hand she looks quite experienced and cool, but on the other hand perhaps just a bit too cool and easygoing, considering the fact that the whole party has been trapped and surrounded.
    - Loryn Stromblade (Reaper) excluded, too: Well armored, equipped and ready for combat, but I’d have to position her in a way, so her shield and cloak would obscure the observer’s view too much.

Leaves me with two of the Fenryll 3-stage-Paladins and Jana Blackfire (Reaper, too).

And that’s where I would need your help and advice:

Which one to choose ? - I simply can't make up my mind. None of them feels completely right there, and last but not least that area might look a bit crowded then… I am still not sure whether it wouldn’t be better to remove the female fighter and let the dwarf deal alone with the attacking rats…?!?
    Thx a lot

(Besides: Originally I had in mind to create a green stuff female warrior with a two-handed axe by myself, and torso and arms are pre-shaped since three years already But I canceled when I tried to model head and face – I simply lack some techniques and the time to concentrate on this. Perhaps I finish her some time, but certainly not now.
    At least, the two-handed axe is finished – since many years already, too )
    Last edited by DunErwit; 05-07-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Stage 3, option 1. I like the pose of the Fenryll mini best, and having her behind the dwarf works given her pose.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Agree with Trystan adds to the story with her moving to help the Dwarf.
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk