Paint Organizers
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paint Organizers

Default Paint Organizers

So... I have a question about what you use to organize your paints. I like the concept of the Paintier. But I hate how it looks.

I'm wondering if any of you have something that essentially accomplishes the same thing but looks more visually appealing (my painting space is my living room). Wood and metal are great. Spice rack? If so, what kind do you use? I have GW, P3, Reaper, old Ral Partha and Vallejo.

Any suggestions would be awesome!

I acquired a pair of tower CD racks, and as most of my CD's are stored elsewhere I had one left over. Managed to find some plastic trays that were perfectly sized for it, and so now have the paints seperated into 8 trays. Inks in one, foundation paints in another, one for metallics, another for black/grey/white, one with all the red/orange/yellows etc.
    Got a couple of double sized trays for the lowest hole in the CD rack for all the tools an all.

With space at such a premium where I paint (and do pretty much everything else for that matter), been needing storage solutions that were economical. Can't get much more so than stacks of small trays and boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by kirara View Post
    So... I have a question about what you use to organize your paints.
    The floor.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

army carrier case....

easy to organise,
    easy to store (pretty much anywhere)
    easy to search
    easy to transport

i use one myself:
    top layer is organised by color,
    second is black/white/gray and metalics,
    third is inks, washes, oddball stuff and transport for minis i'm working on...

I have several shelves just for my paints in my work area, all within arm's reach.

I use a rolling kitchen cart with shallow a low wire basket

I eventually bought an extra cart for the extra basket...It has a butcher block top and now 2 wire shelves and 2 wire baskets for the paints. It's too tall to paint on the table top but still worth the money for storage..

I have quite a bit of stuff on it not just paint but everything I need tool box etc on the shelves it does not collect a load of dust because of the open wire shelves.

I roll it away when I have no time and used foam core for dividers so the Vallejo paint stands upright then I paint the caps with the color as I go along so they are easy to ID.
    I bought the carts at Target
    Winter is Coming...

http://tabstudio.com

I topped willy wonka and stole his umpa lumpas, they do the sorting for me now.

need a basing monkey next.

The floor.
    Except that I have a toddler who will eat them.

I want to clarify: by Paintier-style organizer I mean something that shows the side,vertically, of all the paints. A box or anything stackable doesn't work because with the P3 paints I can only see the white tops, thus I have to take half of them out before I find the color I want. What I am looking for is something cheap that allows me to see all the colors.

I want to clarify: by Paintier-style organizer I mean something that shows the side,vertically, of all the paints. A box or anything stackable doesn't work because with the P3 paints I can only see the white tops, thus I have to take half of them out before I find the color I want. What I am looking for is something cheap that allows me to see all the colors.

How much space do you have to work with? Is it the corner of a table? A workbench? Knowing something like might help narrow things down a bit.

I use this: http://www.miniaturescenery.com/DataPage.asp?Code=RKP

It holds 33 bottles of paint as well as all of my brushes. That's more than enough for all the colours I will use to paint one mini. I've thought about getting another couple so all my paints will fit but I don't think I need them all out at one time.

The rest of my paints are just stored in a drawer of a repurposed plastic 5 drawer storage unit (I think it was designed for scrapbooking). All the other paint pots I have fit in 1 drawer (organised by colour) with the remaining 4 drawers taken up with tools like files, plastic cutters, etc. as well as my unpainted minis.

Olaf the Stout

A box or anything stackable doesn't work because with the P3 paints I can only see the white tops, thus I have to take half of them out before I find the color I want. What I am looking for is something cheap that allows me to see all the colors.
    A blob of paint on the lid solves this problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    The floor.
    Except that I have a toddler who will eat them.

Hmmmn; I was going to suggest The Really Usefull Box Company as they do a series of boxes which are idea for holding modelling cr*p.
    http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/
    But if you really need to see the sides of the bottle then to be honest if you buy something "off the shelf" it'll be a compromise for what you are after. If either you or Hubby are at all DIY capable then you should be able to make something suitable. If you have a DIY centre anywhere near then look for plastic 30mm pipe as that size will hold Vallejo bottles. Sections of that cut to 20mm should hold the bottles upright if glued to an MDF strip and said strip could be glued to a stepped frame.
    But as with all things there is the problem of the racks footprint on the painting table.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I have a rolling RAC tool chest bought from Argos that has all my paints in one slide out drawer, all my tools in another, my wips under the lid, and my unopened packs of minis in the cupboard at the bottom, ideal, and if needs be I can carry the top part away. Otherwise I would look at the Miniature Scenery stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemunkie View Post
    A blob of paint on the lid solves this problem...
    *smacks face*

Yeah... that would work. You know, I had actually thought of that a long time ago and totally forgot. Feel like a real idiot now.

Thanks guys for the contributions - I think I now have a sense for what is out there - not a lot that is like the Paintier I guess!

These are pretty good too http://www.silicon-dragons.com/site-...aint-rack.html
    I got one second hand and if I could afford the shipping, I'd get more.

Marc
    Help me to hatch my eggs , click on it

Blog Entries

I have the paintier and it is really not that hot. The bottles aren't held securely enough so when you spin it to look for something they frequently tip over.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboyjjb View Post
    I have the paintier and it is really not that hot. The bottles aren't held securely enough so when you spin it to look for something they frequently tip over.
    Can't say I ever had that problem, how fast are you spinning it? lol

Marc

Blog Entries

As fast as I can. At least a couple times. Most of the time it isn't that bad. It did just fine with the GW pots but the Vallejo bottles get knocked over all the time. Maybe its just my fat hands.

I must be behind the times because all I use is a desk with a lamp on it. Lol. Or if I want to paint while sitting on the sofa I use one of those dinner trays with the bean-bags attached to the bottom. Lol.

Wedge them in, that's what I do, almost overfill the tray.