Funny's warband project
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny's warband project

Default Funny's warband project

hi everyone!
    im starting this thread to chronicle my ongoing goal of building my miniatures collection in the form of warbands. for whatever reason ive always enjoyed the aesthetic of coordinated groups of minis and, accordingly, i tend to paint similar minis along a similar theme. this trend has been heightened by my recent interest in the indie miniatures game "song of blades and heroes" which gave me something fun to do with my diverse and growing collection. notable groupings in my gallery are "humans," "undeads," "kobolds," "great orcs," and most recently "greenskins." ill be working on all of these intermittently, and a few more in the future (demons, cultists, snakemen), but for now im focusing on the greenskins. without further delay, my most recently finished mini, never before seen by the likes of you:

(pic linked to vote)

if you havent seen my other gobbos yet, this'll catch you up:
    goblin archer
    goblin fanatic
    goblin with sword and shield
    so...um....thats my warband so far. thoughts, comments, suggestions?
    Last edited by funnymouth; 02-27-2010 at 07:26 PM.

The shield and sword are really nice and the little mushroom detail on the base is so good.

Really nice guy. The shield is good and I like the crazy face. The mushrooms on the base are a really good touch.

im glad you guys like the shield. i didnt have one that fit so i made that one out of GS.

Looking awesome mate. I really like you goblins.

Hi FunnyMouth, I hadn't realised that you'd sculpted the shield, nice work Mirroring the eye device from the sword is a quality touch. How many goblins to make up a warband? Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

shield looks great, would never guess it's homemade a nice one gobbo!
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

im not exactly sure how many models ill include. im thinking 20 something; with that many i could have a few different builds. ill include a bunch of orcs too (i have some great old figs) and a troll. honestly ive lacked focus lately, and ive been working on my other warbands.
    most recently ive been re-basing a bunch of models to make warbands of 'em, and ive started a few more.
    here is the "good human" warband (recently re-based). most of these models are old, and it shows, but they go well together i think. breaths a lil' new life in to minis i rarely use.

I was looking at the middle guy, and the left shoulder pad looks a little like it needs a bit more washing or shading. It might just be my monitor, but that's what I'm thinking at the moment.
    Last edited by delta 408; 03-28-2010 at 02:49 AM. Reason: spelling

They're nice but you have to work a bit more on the metals, especially on the middle guy as he wears an armour. I also think you could add a bit more the skins, especially on the two girls.

thanks for the feedback guys, ill put it to use on my next human mini. these minis are "as is" though, i painted them many (~4) years ago and were i to have another hack at them id probably just strip them as there is so much to change. humans aren't really my favorite subject anyhow.

more gobbos on the way though, and a few demons.

cool minis! their faces are really good, lots of character there!
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

thanks! i always spend a little extra time on the face as a focal point. owe a lot of what i know about painting faces to wren.

here is a mini i posted in '06. recently re-based it and did a touchup so it could be part of the goblin warband. sucks to dilute the overall paint quality of the warband but i needed a piece to use. surprising how much of a difference a more engaging base makes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nasty little guy *smile*

Greetings, Taggi
    How do you know, that Taggi has been assimilated to borg: "Rezitanz fiutail ist."

Sorry for violating the english language.

Please rate my comments, even if there is critism in it, as a personal point of view. I do not have the absolute truth in minature painting and every word said by me is only a suggestion, that may be thought over or simple ignored. So, happy painting!

And my own Dragons:

Cool looking guy.

Default a loooong overdue update.

i feel like ive been stagnating with all my work projects and moving (again), so as soon as i finished this guy i took some shots and slaped 'em together for your viewing enjoyment. probably not the best presentation, but you get the idea. of course i notice flaws now...

a face only a mother could love. i gave my impressions of this piece in my gallery. but oi, all that detail on such a tiny mini. i really should stop posting my work with such a zoom. im sure it hurts my scores a lot.
    thoughts?

as a side note, it seems that metals photograph well in poor lighting condidtions.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by funnymouth; 06-24-2010 at 02:51 PM.

It looks nice but so strange. Maybe you could have done deeper shades for the skin, by using blue for example.

Looking good! I really like the idea of warbands as well. Good to see you're moving foward with this.

Quote Originally Posted by cheelfy View Post
    It looks nice but so strange. Maybe you could have done deeper shades for the skin, by using blue for example.
    yeah, as i mentioned in the photo's comments i wasnt satisfied with the skin but i didnt want to deviate from my previous goblins. im kinda surprised that its doing so much worse than the others, when i like it quite a bit. it never was a popular model i suppose.

im happy about the progress ive made with the group thus far, i have a few more in the works that should probably please the masses to a greater extent (more of the classic 90's gobbos). i think these will really shine as a group.

edit: ok, i took down the pic. after looking at it again i became really dissatisfied with the photography to the point where i couldnt take it. ill repost later. sorry for the wasted votes.
    Last edited by funnymouth; 01-27-2011 at 03:06 AM.

im continuing to expand my warband project (dont worry, still working on gobbos). lots of cool stuff in the pipeline.
    but...i want to use this as a platform for expanding my skill set. ive dabbled in sculpting a bit, and id like to sculpt a complete warband (to call my very own).
    so im
    toying with an idea thats been on the work bench for a good long time - mushroom/fungus men.
    drew up a very rough concept sketch of a basic trooper model. i figure ill make three or four of this kind before i move on to the cool bosses and monsters n' stuff. other possibilities included plant men, and rock men (silly, i know). im not stuck on the mushies or anything, so if if youve got any cool ideas for a themed warband, im game.

Attachment 2948
    Last edited by funnymouth; 07-11-2011 at 02:55 PM.