Funny's warband project - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Funny's warband project

If you're looking for contrast then, if I may suggest, concentrate on complementary colors. Since your squiddy squiggy slimy thing is mostly blue in this last photo, highlight the carapace with yellows instead of the tan neutral colors. If it's mostly greens, pop that shell with lobster red. Stuff like that will probably help.

the shells will be predominantly orange, but will also include hues of purple, pink, red, brown & green, as well as patterning in certain areas. i have a long ways to go. i havent done a genuine wip in a long time because my painting methodology varies so dramatically from what i see other people doing. my painting starts ugly, stays ugly, and finishes crisp.

last time i did one, people kept telling me they didnt like what i was doing the whole way along until it came together at the end.
    the finished model settled at an an 8.2.....

perhaps this will provide some insight in to the madness that is my painting style.

lol Hey madness is what genius does. Whatever it takes to get it done, then that's what is right.

Don't think I don't appreciate your feedback, though. It's been very helpful thus far, and it will only become more so as these crabby patties near completion.

With such chaotic minis, I definitely need to put more thought in to *color* contrasts, and not just light-dark contrasts. Something I dont do enough of. Perhaps my time away from the painting table will give me a chance to think things out a bit.
    Last edited by funnymouth; 07-29-2011 at 03:03 AM.

I for one, am a huge fan of your muted palette. It's quite refreshing.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Yeah, I'm a big fan of more neutral palates .... Well see how it turns out. In the meantime, another update! Yup, I took my minis on the road. I've finished blacklining the whole batch and I've started working on the carapace glazes and color. My appologies for the camera phone pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good! I took your advice and added some red. It isn't eye popping, but I had a limited paint selection available. Ive got to knock out 4 more. Oi! Painting warbands as a group can be grueling.

small update. ive done a lot of work on the carapace, and im just starting to work on the tentacles. i decided to give the shells of different types of mariners a slightly different color - orange, yellow n pink so far.
    at this point the colors are fairly close to what i imagine, but the whole mess has yet to "come together."
    Name:  dark mariners carapace.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  277.5 KB
    thoughts?
    Last edited by funnymouth; 08-08-2011 at 05:43 PM.

They're coming on really nicely Funny, the colours work for me. I'm just painting some coral(ish) bracelets on my Wereshark too

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

I think that's a very, very good-looking 'mess', they look very aquatic. Good job man.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Thanks fellas.
    I'm glad the varied colors went over well.
    The tentacles are proving to be a project; I'm having difficulty getting the exact look I want with the pear & interference paints.
    Sample face...ish....thing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vanguard face.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	7430
    Kiss? No?

Looks ok, but washed out.
    I'll vary hue of the tentacles, so the color palate is flexible.
    Last edited by funnymouth; 08-10-2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: DRUNK POST

ok, ill post some progress on the mariners soon, but im caught up in the joy of speed painting.
    i needed to fill some space in my good warband for an upcoming con,
    so i painted this simple dog bit up in 40 mins. most of the time was spent on the base.
    fun. super simple.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dog.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	7625