airbrush compressor?

Thread: airbrush compressor?

Default airbrush compressor?

hey gang,
    ive been airbrushing for about a year now.i started with a testor airbrush and compressor.
    i just bought a duel action airbrush and figured i should step up my compressor.
    now my question is i can buy a airbrush compressor for anywhere between 70.00-300.00.
    i was checking hardware store and they have a bigger more psi compressor with all the gadgets on it for 65.00.its a ridgid.now my should i buy the airbrush compressor or mini but bigger compressor?any feedback.

The main problem with the larger hardware store compressors is the noise, they are loud. I know people that placed their compressor in the basement or garage and run a hose to their workshop. As which is better the small silent or larger compressors both do the same....blow...air that is. With a regulator both do the same job, it comes down to a noise issue.
    Spanish Balloons? Mongo like spanish balloons!

Definitely do a search for airhead's posts on compressors - lots and lots of info on different compressor types with some specific recommendations (and advice on what not to get) in a few of the threads.

Einion

I have a large compressor and indeed it is in my garage
    It has such a capacity it does not run often but when it does it scares the s*** out of me till I acclimate.

I found it used by a furniture maker for 75 bucks at a yard sale and use it for many things beside the painting thus if you have space I would recommend if you can find a good deal they are handy to have
    I put a moisture trap and a regulator on it to give more control and quality it works well enough for my skill with the brush
    Last edited by TAB Studio; 03-10-2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: well...
    Winter is Coming...

http://tabstudio.com

I have used 'silent' compressors now for years; they are worth every cent if you are a modeler or planning on doing modeling for any length of time. However, there are a variety of smaller compressors from iwata and others that work rather well, aren't noisy and allow you to spray 'inside' and get away with it.

I got some stuff from these last week. Ordered over the phone and parts came next day. They were brilliant.

http://www.airbrush-pro.co.uk/

I forget what kind I'm using, but it's a really simple model that I got for $15 off of Craiglsist. I added a $20 regulator/moisture filter, and it works great- for my purposes, anyway. I'm sure all the experienced airbrushers would hate it. =] It's not silent, but it's not too loud, either. Maybe after a few years I'll upgrade, once I get a feel for just how much I need a better one.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    I forget what kind I'm using, but it's a really simple model that I got for $15 off of Craiglsist. I added a $20 regulator/moisture filter, and it works great- for my purposes, anyway. I'm sure all the experienced airbrushers would hate it. =] It's not silent, but it's not too loud, either. Maybe after a few years I'll upgrade, once I get a feel for just how much I need a better one.
    That sounds like the perfect compressor, cheap and dependable.

I've got an old 1/8 HP airbrush type diaphragm compressor. Over 25 years old and still runs great. I've had to clean the innerds out a couple of times, but it won't die.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.