Accidents?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accidents?

Default Accidents?

The other day I finished working on a Eldar Ranger that came out real nice. I wanted to take some pics and had a piece of grey wood behind it to make the background nice and plainfor the pic. The wood fell on my piece when I went to take the pic and it literally crushed the Eldar! The gun was bent back and loads of paint got chipped off all the way down to the metal. Just wondering if anybody else has had an accident happen to them after days of working on a piece.

Blog Entries

I've dropped pieces -

Worst accident was grabbing the black primer and spraying a completed figure - instead of sealing it.
    Dr. Walter Bishop: I have used this technique to extract information from a corpse once. You can do that if they haven't been dead for longer than six hours.
    Peter Bishop: [in the background] Right, 'cause after six hours, that's when they're really dead.

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar. S. Clemons

Because I don't have enough madness in my life : http://topographyworkshop.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by steelcult View Post
    I've dropped pieces -

Worst accident was grabbing the black primer and spraying a completed figure - instead of sealing it.
    I did the same with white on a good size dragon
    I had the fire 200mm piece "Fire" finished for a friend went out to dull coat it and because of the humidity in Fl It turned it a green cast,had to repaint it.I ended up painting that very model 3 times in total and the thing is that I painted it and he bought me a duplicate model for myself for payment.

I have not attempted that one yet it is in storage
    Winter is Coming...

http://tabstudio.com

My cat played with my Golden Demon entry mini...he throw it away by the window...

Once spent thirty hours working on just skin via email with Whiz, my first serious attempt at high quality painting. had it looking great, real proud... then my cat jumped into my lap. A fully loaded brush of red paint across the entire mini. I was so pissed i chopped the thing into a dozen bits and used it as aggitators in paint bottles.

Now with more Oni goodness then allowed by the FDA!
    CMON Rank:

Cats seem to be dangerous to the hobby. It's bad enough that my cat likes to jump on my workspace and make off with minis I'm working on to play with, but he's done even worse than that.

Last year during the summer, I was in the kitchen making some lunch while my cat was running around chasing flies (he's got a thing for eating bugs). At one point, I see him on the floor underneath the wall-mounted display cabinet that holds all of my painted miniatures. It's about five feet off the floor, so I didn't even think anything about it.

I turn around and about five seconds later hear a loud crash. Think he tried to jump up and catch a fly, using the cabinet as a springboard and pulled it off the wall. Every mini was either chipped or broken and several of them were completely ruined.

The cat was fine and didn't get hurt - by the case or me.

I've dropped pieces -

aye! back when the varnish looked like the undercoat
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

I've dropped pieces -

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    aye! back when the varnish looked like the undercoat
    After I first heard from someone else about this happening, I always give a quick spray against the wall, just to make sure.

Nephew visited. He saw my newly painted Carnosaur on the shelf and couldn't help but touch it. And play with it. And drop it. And break the tail off. I put the Carnosaur in my closet and haven't looked at it since.

At least he didn't drop my Leman Russ Battle Tank. That only got sticky fingerprints on it.

I hate kids. Even relatives.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

Quote Originally Posted by Hinton View Post
    After I first heard from someone else about this happening, I always give a quick spray against the wall, just to make sure.
    Good idea anyways. You want to test the paint and make sure you clear the paint that's been sitting (an sometimes drying) in the "straw" in the can.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinton View Post
    I always seal with a brush... Because cans can have very nasty manners... and I dont accept accidents with the minis I have spent VERY much time...

My "Schwestern des Zwielichts" (it is a wood elf model of a dragon and two female riders - I dont know the eglish name) was finally, converted. Base was made of shalestone. The whole position was rebuilt bend, greenstuffed... it was half a diorama... I have put the first wing on it and tried to put it into the shelf to tidy up the room. On the top it fittet with touch. At the bottom it hit the shelf. I have reacted fast enough to grap it with both hands. A second later I was standing with the wing in the right hand and the neck in the left hand. Many funny parts covered the floor next to my feet. I hate metal models.

Greetings, Taggi.
    How do you know, that Taggi has been assimilated to borg: "Rezitanz fiutail ist."

Sorry for violating the english language.

Please rate my comments, even if there is critism in it, as a personal point of view. I do not have the absolute truth in minature painting and every word said by me is only a suggestion, that may be thought over or simple ignored. So, happy painting!

And my own Dragons:

@Taggi: they are called the Sisters of Twilight, i believe...

i've had more than my share of accidents...
    some that can be fixed easily, and others that just go in the box of shame, like my Forgeworld Squighopper that's in a million pieces...

animals seem to be a common theme...
    never had one destroy a painted mini, but they do like to hide random pieces of minis...
    i lose more small claws that way...

the worst are always my own fault...
    i was painting the Forgeworld Techpriest for a contest at the L.A. Battle Bunker...
    the day before the comp, i was almost done when i got up and one of my dreadlocks swiped the mini off the table...
    he fell 3 feet onto a nice shag carpet, and exploded into 3 pieces...
    made my night very long, but i fixed it, and came second in the contest...

damn these beautiful long locks...
    hahahahahaha

cheers
    jah

Quote Originally Posted by cheelfy View Post
    My cat played with my Golden Demon entry mini...he throw it away by the window...

Everyone's a art critic!

You see Taggi, That's what you get for trying to tidy up...hehe

Fortunately, I think that the worst that has happen to me is that I'll forget that the green stuff detail that I've just spent two hours modeling is still "wet" and mandible, and lay it down on said fresh green stuff.
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

Worst mini related accident must've been when I was cutting plasticard for my stormblade and thought it would be a great idea to cut 'forwards' with the scalpel... I ended up cutting myself quite deeply with the blunt side of the blade while getting loads of blood all over both plasticard and mini. I might add that cutting yourself with the blunt side of a blade hurts like hell, I nearly fainted. XD For some reason I didn't get any scar.
    Still get that 'itch' in the finger whenever I cut in an awkward angle though.

I've been very lucky and have hardly ever destroyed a mini in any way.
    Except that when I moved this time around I somehow managed to break the banner on my Venerable dread, the one in my gallery. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

My work space was all filled with new paint bottles and things that I hadn't
    managed to sort out, yet.
    I was working on a friends' Cadians for him, but with all that space taken, I was
    putting the varnished pieces on the floor.
    Of course, I got distracted by the tv (or maybe it was my wife being naked at me?)
    and forgot where I'd put them down. So when I got up, naturally, I wound up stepping
    on them all.
    Most expensive commission job ever.
    Had to replace all the minis, and re-do the whole job.

just happened yesterday. i slammed the trunk door onto my tracks for my battlewagon. 2 of the tracks were completely smashed into pieces. lots of pieces. :angry but i built them back up last night and it looks pretty seemless.

oh yeah...and i dropped my entry for golden demon last year on the way in. twas a giant grabbing ahold of a dragon. so much for that one.
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

Quote Originally Posted by mud duck View Post
    Everyone's a art critic!
    This this a strange way to critic a mini but I mind a bit less about it now as I started paintin g something else and it looks a bit better.

Hesitant to really consider this an accident, but aside from the occasional stab wound from an errant craft knife or dropped miniature, this stands out to me.

Back with the "Miss Right (then)", she had a 2year old son. He was curious about what we got up to. The stuff we did in the front room during the day that is, the painting.
    We woke up to find his curiousity had got the better of him. He'd managed to open the box of paints, no small feat that. Managed to open a pot of paint, again no small feat. Managed to use a brush and basecoat a mini with Ultramarine Blue. He'd done a surprisingly good job, used the right end of the brush, the paint was even if a bit gloopy, had only spilt paint on half his limbs and but a small part of the carpet. I was quite happy he'd felt fond enough to want to be included. Unfortunately he'd chosen the Wood Elf Champion I'd gone to bed happy that I'd finally finished. His mum reacted far more harshly than I did. Still got that Ultramarine slathered Wood Elf somewhere.

Way back when I was still at school my mother decided that my Ultramarines army was looking dusty. This was my first fully painted army. 4x 10man tactical squads, 4x terminator squads, command squad, devastator squad, jump pack assault squad, 2 tanks 1 dreadnaught. The works right.

She carefully put all the models in the bath, adding a little bit of fairy liquid, and left them to soak. Needless to say I thought about suicide.... but that would be far too silly so I just started repainting the army.