Elly's WIP - Page 11
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly's WIP

Well, I'll be bumming around all day with Tryst and Drescher so feel free to pick my brain at any time hehe inbetween all the crazy ahhhhnuld madness!
    My Rank -

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    Well, I'll be bumming around all day with Tryst and Drescher so feel free to pick my brain at any time hehe inbetween all the crazy ahhhhnuld madness!
    Too bad there weren't 4 Stooges, or I would tag along. I will just listen for the sounds of Ahhhnuld, and find you guys. That and and looking for a guy carrying a Marine that is the size of a small infant! Have youi had any luck getting in some painting time?

And yes I am aware that there were more than 4 different Stooges, but not at one time...

Yeah I finally started today, after lots of deliberation, thinking, and brainstorming, and have finalized the paint scheme. I have to leave some of it a surprise until later this weekend, as I am doing kind of an experiment with a new technique so hopefully it will come out nicely Pics on Sunday most likely!
    My Rank -

A couple crap pics of a preview of the necrosphinx... the black would NOT photograph well at all, and ended up with some super glare issues. I tried to basecoat a few of the gold areas to really get a feel for how the black was coming along. I went for an "obsidian" look to the main body. I have yet to add some reflections to some of the lower areas - that comes tomorrow as well as the other side
    My Rank -

Oh.
    My.
    God.

The guy who gets this is one lucky S.O.B.

Oh wait... LOL
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

very nice and interesting start =)
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

I bet that beast is freaking sweet in person, it looks great in the pics! Great start.

Cool. Nice start.
    Now available for commissions.
    My Blog
    My Gallery

Jiminy christmas - Let me pick my jaw up off the floor. Holy cow if this is your start it's gonna be a stunner when it's finished. Great job Elly!

Thanks all! I have to say, black is so friggin hard to blend... one side done, hopefully finish the other one and the feet by tonight and can move on to my favorite! The NMM!!!!!
    Also, I'm starting an Erkenbrand on foot as a commission for a local collector, and that will be coming to GD this year as well. So two entries hopefully! Not bad for not even planning on entering this year.
    My Rank -

One trick I like to use for blending black is to have a bunch of pre-mixed dark shades. Do layered highlights first so that you can get the general idea of the color transition first, then blend later (since you have the colors mixed up already you can easily match the colors again, you just have to remember which ones are which on the model).

Another trick is to shade the highlight down with black to do the blending, rather than going from dark to light.

Can't wait to see your progress.

-Matt
    My website: www.msterbenz.com
    My ETSY shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/mattsterbenz
    My miniature painting blog: http://mattsterbenz.blogspot.com/
    My oil painting blog: http://msterbenz.blogspot.com

Thanks Matt - I'll have to give that a try on the other side and see if it saves some time and makes things a bit easier
    My Rank -

This is crazy....you started your entry with about 2 weeks to go! How do you even finish a model of that caliber that quickly?

BTW, entries are suppose to be in by 8-11am (i think), and GW website says that the demon lounge will be open from 9-10am. Are any of you guys going to be there that early? I'd like to bring in my entry to get some critiques and get your opinion on improving.

Dude! Awesome job on the obsidian, brilliant idea and execution.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Jeff, I'm thinking any Q&A we do in tandem should be done completely in Arnold voices:
    "First you meex da Shining Gold wit da Scorched Brown, ja ja, und you paint it over da metal part. I'd use Brazen Brass, but ze bastards don't make it..YEeeeEeAaaaRrrgh!" And so on.

The obsidian made me poop a little. Thanks dude, I'm all the way up in Northbrook this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by war0827 View Post
    This is crazy....you started your entry with about 2 weeks to go! How do you even finish a model of that caliber that quickly?

BTW, entries are suppose to be in by 8-11am (i think), and GW website says that the demon lounge will be open from 9-10am. Are any of you guys going to be there that early? I'd like to bring in my entry to get some critiques and get your opinion on improving.
    I'll be there, but then have no place else to go!

Sooooo new update. After much tweaking and editing and blending and struggles (and also thanks mattsterbenz for the black shading advice ) I have finally finished the obsidian (except for his lower back - it's where I hold him so I'll do that last). You can't see in the photos but I used some scorched brown "under highlights" to kind of reflect the ground. On to the head area, and saving the NMM for last since I know I can paint that the quickest.
    Also this weekend I'll have some pics posted of Erkenbrand - the ideas for him are swirling around! Going to try my hardest to get all this done by GD (well, Erkenbrand will definitely be done - and hoping for the sphinx!)
    My Rank -

That looks damn cool man. Very nice painting. Good luck getting him done.
    Now available for commissions.
    My Blog
    My Gallery