Elly's WIP - Page 13
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly's WIP

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

That is the most beautiful skull I have ever seen, how did you do it? Colors and technique. Did you feather it, wet blend it, or layer it? Maybe selective glazing for the shading? I gotta know, 'cause I wanna learn! And obviously the NMM. Finished or not, I can't wait to see this beast. It is so amazing, I bet it is mind blowing in person...

Wow! It's looking fantastic. With all those tiny details...I hope you get it done by Saturday but you'd probably kill yourself trying. Still I love the bone almost as much as the NMM!

The smoothness of your paint job is gorgeous, truly.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Exceptional as usual Jeff. I knew it would be stellar when you said you thought it turned out "decent". I'm looking forward to eavesdropping on your NMM presentation.

I saw a woman wearing a sweatshirt with 'Guess' on it. I said, 'Thyroid problem?'
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrescher View Post
    ....I'm looking forward to eavesdropping on your NMM presentation.... [/SIZE]
    Me too! The way he deceptively makes it looks easy is sickening!

I think I have to change my underpants after seeing this!

I will most definately by eavesdropping on your NMM presentation as well. I guess there will be a fairly large gathering

I'm going to have to talk to the smithsonian and find out who did their security setup for the Hope Diamond. I'm going to need it to safely store this when it's done LOL
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Feel free to drop some eaves for sure! I'll probably be mainly around the demon lounge all day - though I will of course have to hit up the forge world line and store and also the Speed Demon hehe
    Not much painting done today. I think I was feeling a little burnt so I took it easy today. Needed a little time to clear my head and get ready for a three day paint a thon! Erkenbrand here we come! He will have a textured cloak with some freehand, NMM scale mail, and some detailing on the inside of the cloak - as well as the helmet and bracers. Should be a fun paint! And of course more sphinx work as it fits in~
    Super excited for Games Day!
    My Rank -

Blog Entries

Wow man, I just saw that sphinx progress and crapped my pants!!! Excellent work. Incredibly smooth.

Well, better clean up the crap I 'spose....

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

I'm not prone to crudeness but I have a boner for your bone! That skull is brilliant and not to be outdone the NMM gold is awesome too. Cannot wait to see the finished article. Your NMM session sounds very interesting, is the even a tiny chance that it could me made available online? Some sort of video share or something. I'd be interested!

Cheers
    Will
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

Looks like there was some codex grey in that bone mixture, am I right? I'll have to pick your brain on that later!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrescher View Post
    Looks like there was some codex grey in that bone mixture, am I right? I'll have to pick your brain on that later!
    Maybe some Dehneb Stone too?

Nope! hehe Bone = P3 Battlefield Brown (my favorite color! lol) up to P3 Menoth White Base to a few shades higher with white - the teeth and tusk just replace Battlefield with Chaos Black... pretty simple really!
    Got some work done on Erkenbrand today... not as much as I wanted, but just had another off day. One of my wife's friends got in a very nasty car accident (more like run over by a trucker... one of the pumpkin trucks) - and the news threw me off any kind of focus I needed. Anyways, I still have two days to finish this guy! Here is the WIP:
    My Rank -

Oh my goodness! Hope your wife's friend is OK. Pretty crazy stuff. I can't imagine being focused to paint after hearing news like that.

The model on the other hand is so amazing to look at. I can't keep my eye off of it. It's just amazing how quickly you can paint, an at such a high level too! I wish you'd pass me over some of that talent

i think it is time for me to reveal some of elly's secret's,

I have been pming him for some time and he sent this back to me trying to explain his blending method for NMM.

"Heya! I don't have much time, so I am going to try and write this out for ya. My method of blending is hard to explain in text, but I will try for you!
    I generally work from dark colors to light colors. I know a lot of people work opposite to that, but I prefer to go from dark to light as I feel the colors have more substance - a more "thicker" feel to them. I have tried painting with "glazing" and all that, but I feel the colors are too pastel-like and too translucent.
    So, for shading my NMM gold for example, using a wet palette of course, I basecoat with some P3 Battlefield Brown. This may take a coat or two to get a nice, even base. After this I mix in a little GW Bubonic Brown, to get a shade above Battlefield, and then I basecoat all the raised areas with this, leaving Battlefield in the cracks for definition. Now I'll usually mix up 5 or 6 in between shades and have some pure bubonic on the side. I'll start to put down some medium shades in spots and planning my attack on the NMM. you can start to figure out where to put the future shines and stuff at this point. So, Ill usually paint some areas with a shade or two below bubonic, and then I will blend those areas in. To do this, I'll use those shades of in between and work them in between the two colors usually feathering them (like in Matt's article) to blend them in. I usually go back and forth between the shades (remember to keep your paints thinned a little, or at this point your paint will gunk up) until it looks good. Then I will work up to Bubonic in the same manner. And then I will mix 4-5 shades of Bubonic up to pure White and repeat the process again on a much smaller level with the shines. On larger areas like on my Sanguinor with his round cylinders on his back, I will now mix up 3-4 shades of color - 1 darker, one bubonic, one lighter, and I will make some really thin glazes. (I'm sure you know how to make these) for the darker shade, I start at the bubonic part of the blend and brush stroke down to the dark area a few times, each time getting a little closer to the darker area. Now you can use the bubonic glaze and reverse the process. Then use the lighter glaze in the same manner - from bubonic to the lighter area a few times, and then back with the bubonic. Sometimes I'll reverse the order and do the bubonic glazes first on both sides, then work in the others, and go back to another and so on until I'm satisfied. You can also use this technique to tint your darks or lights after you have blended your area.
    Anyways, if you have any questions on this let me know. I hope that made sense. It's very hard to describe lol
    ~Jeff~"

there you go, i can understand that it is really difficult to explain, so if any of you guys feel like you figured out something or just have any comments, Post em!

feanorthenoldor

I'm not sure what it is, but there's just something not quite right about the Erkenbrand. If I had to say, I think that the scales on his thigh have a bit too much shine. They look almost entirely white in the photos. They should, obviously, be shinier than the rest but something just strikes me wrong about them.
    Sorry man, wish I could be more specific, but the best I can do is say that it 'feels wrong.'

Edit: The cloth is magnificent though.

I know what you mean Vern... I have adjusted them a couple times today but haven't had much time to really get to it thanks to having to write another program for class today (two in one week right before GD ugh!). I'll play around a little more but I'll have to move on in order to finish. Ill post more pics later or in the morning and maybe some specifics can come to mind. If so, please post em! I only have one day to fix it hehehe
    My Rank -

Hey - that doesn't look like a sphinx to me ><
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Ok, so far the only ting I've gotten from looking at dozens of pictures of scale mail on people is that the light acts very similar on it as it does to any other armor. The only difference being that there are, obviously, shadows at the top of each scale.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is do what you do best and it will look right!
    Luck!

Name:  Scale mail.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  13.1 KB

Here's a great one that I found. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by HoboClown; 07-29-2011 at 12:28 AM.

A small update on Erkenbrand. He will be complete by Friday! I don't know why but in this photo his sword looks really weird....

As far as upcoming projects - The sphinx is coming up after Erk - then I have a diorama I am planning for crystal brush and/or GD, Treebeard, and some Sanguinary Guard commissions. Fun times!!
    My Rank -