Elly's WIP - Page 14
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly's WIP

Don't forget to wipe the sphinx down before you resume painting it LOL
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    Don't forget to wipe the sphinx down before you resume painting it LOL
    I told you I was sorry about that, I just really, really liked the Necrosphinx.

Yeah. The scale mail looks much better! Well done sir.

Erkenbrand's looking really very nice Elly I guess you might have one of the best painted sets of LotR minis in the world by now!

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Update on the Erkenbrand - he will definitely be done by tomorrow afternoon. You can see I have blocked out an area for some freehand on the cloak. Then its just the top hair and the shield and he is done! I went for three different cloth textures - the subtle texture on the inner robe, the woven texture on the green part, and more of a satin smooth finish on the inside of the cloak. Thanks to Mattsterbenz for some advice on painting the woven look!
    My Rank -

Oh, that's coming together nicely mate!
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Yeah, thats really nice. Great work on the textures.
    Now available for commissions.
    My Blog
    My Gallery

You really pulled off the woven look. Well done.

That's pretty insane. I so wished that you could have finished him for GD this year. I would have loved to see him in person. Looks awesome!

Yeah I wished I would have finished him as well! I think he would have added to the competition and racked the judges brains a little more. Ah well! I like the way he came out and I'm glad I didn't rush him.
    Erkenbrand is finished, and I also posted pics of my Blood Angels Sergeant I worked up to work on my red armor. Here are there votey links:
    Erkenbrand: http://www.coolminiornot.com/284635
    BA Sarge: http://www.coolminiornot.com/284633

Here are the pics for the thread:

Thanks for taking a look! Now on to my two other commissions - a squad of tabletop historical War of Independence figs and the SPHINX! Yay!!
    Last edited by Elly3438; 08-05-2011 at 09:32 PM.
    My Rank -

Absolutely gorgeous Elly! Beautiful work! It's honestly just stunning to look at.

BAH! It's not a sphinx. Who cares.

LOL
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Ky, U.S., Earth, Milky Way, Known Univers

Good grief...... You sir, are RIDICULOUSLY talented..... Maybe I'll accidently bump into you one day and hope I got close enough for osmosis to siphon some of that talent away Incredible work. Nuff said.

I like that everything metal on the sarge is metallics except the grenade! You sir, are a maverick!
    You are mine now! You belong to me! You're not gonna have your mommies run behind you and wipe your little tushies! No more complaining, no more Mr. Kimball I have to go to the bathroom, nothing! There is no bathroom!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    See? A little preparation makes not wearing any pants so much more practical.

Very nice work sir, erkenbrand is a pleasure to look at. I bow before your talent.
    If you dont mind me asking, how did you do the texturing on his front skirt?
    My Blog
    My Gallery

Erkenbrand is a marvel, sir! I like how the cloak turned out and the whole model really seems to pop. The red on the BA sarge is looking good as well. The only thing I noticed is that the gold work on the banner pole turned out a bit flat (at least in the photo). I know you said it was primarly a test model for the red, but if you went back and hit it with a couple highlights (especially on the wings) it would show a lot more depth there.

Thanks all!
    @Drescher - what would you highlight the gold with? I mixed in a little mithril, but I didn't go up to pure because I think that looks a little funny. Maybe go deeper in the shadows? It was my first time in about 12+ years I painted metallics, so any metallics tips I can definitely use lol BTW - I need some advice on battle damage/scratches - for an upcoming commission! Your DK damage looked awesome, we need to set up the next Team Shorewood meeting! YEEAGGHHHHAHAHAHAAGGGH!

@Nodd - I used a "stippling" technique for the inner skirt. I have noticed Alexi_Z using it a lot in her minis and thought I would give it a try. It's just a bunch of little "dots" and working those dots up to a lighter shade rather than blending. It actually takes longer than you would think to get it to look good lol
    Last edited by Elly3438; 08-06-2011 at 08:51 AM.
    My Rank -

I use a lot of purple and green washes for my golds, it helps to darken and age it. Then I highlight up, but I haven't done the mithril silver highlighting, so I can't say how that would look.

Thanks Elly, will have to give it a go as it looks really neat.
    For my golds, I use alot of brown washes and then purple washes and the highlight up to bright brass from VMA. Its really bright but more yellow than mithril.
    My Blog
    My Gallery

I....HATE....STIPPLING! I agree it takes forever and a day. My recipe for gold is generally a base of Citadel Brazen Brass or the non GW equivalent thereof with a light wash of brown ink in the recesses. After that the brazen brass is highlighted with watered down coats of shining gold, then burnished gold, then the edges get a line of 50/50 burnished gold and mithril silver. We'll review at the paint club as I intend to use a lot of gold work on the first entry I have planned for next year. YeeeaeeaAEAghh!