Elly's WIP - Page 15
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly's WIP

Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    It was my first time in about 12+ years I painted metallics, so any metallics tips I can definitely use lol BTW
    I don't mean to be a buttinsky here, Ellie. lol! But I really like Matt's washing technique for metallics. That might be a possibility for you. I actually like the look much better than NMM so I'm rather torn on what to use at times. If the piece is for a contest I feel that it's almost a requirement to at least demonstrate the ability to do NMM to show that I at least have a grasp on the subject.

When I realized what I was thinking, I paused...wondering where in the world that idea came from. I have no clue.

Anyway, I think you might like Matt's technique.

@Kath - What is this washing technique you speak of?
    My Rank -

It's in his WIP thread, after the demon he made to look like a phoenix.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?34154-Matt\-s-WIP-2.0/page14

Scroll down. I know there's a way to link to the actual post but I can't remember how to do it. Anyway, Chad and I both ask him about the technique and he lists it - he also lists some recipes on his blog. It's pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    It's in his WIP thread, after the demon he made to look like a phoenix.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?34154-Matt\-s-WIP-2.0/page14

Scroll down. I know there's a way to link to the actual post but I can't remember how to do it. Anyway, Chad and I both ask him about the technique and he lists it - he also lists some recipes on his blog. It's pretty cool!
    Ahhh cool thanks!!!! Most appreciated
    My Rank -

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

He also has a good article for it here:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/article...citadel-washes
    It is the same technique I tried for my metals on my Orc and Chariot.

Finally another update. Painted 34 American War of Independence - Southern Militia (by the Perry Brothers) minis for a commission. These guys were kind of time consuming, and every one of them is different. Sorry for the HORRID pics but I just didn't have enough time to get good lighting set up and it's not like I'm going to submit them anyways lol Now I have 64 British to work up over the next couple of months. Fun stuff... hehe

And for my next commissions! I have the sphinx of course, and a Gamling... and in September some NMM Grey Knights!!! Those will be super fun to paint!!!
    My Rank -

what would you highlight the gold with? I mixed in a little mithril, but I didn't go up to pure because I think that looks a little funny.
    Mithril silver is not really good for highlighting gold with, I think. You should get yourself some Vallejo Model Color Metallic Medium. It is basically regular metallic paint that is white. Not silver, but white! I use this for final highlights on all metallics (pretty much as you use white when doing NMM), and I find it invaluable for any coloured metallics.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Ritual View Post
    Mithril silver is not really good for highlighting gold with, I think. You should get yourself some Vallejo Model Color Metallic Medium. It is basically regular metallic paint that is white. Not silver, but white! I use this for final highlights on all metallics (pretty much as you use white when doing NMM), and I find it invaluable for any coloured metallics.
    Interesting! I'm about to order some paints today to replenish a few, but I think I will pick that up as well and give it a shot. Is it this?
    http://www.thewarstore.com/product43299.html
    Thanks!
    My Rank -

Yeah, I think so. Definitely worth having if you want to do real metallics.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

In the game are 34 Southern Militia equal to 64 British Regulars? I think historically they might have been...

... just kidding to all the Loyalists out there...

They are looking SWEET! Are the Grey Knights going to be NMM?

and in September some NMM Grey Knights!!! Those will be super fun to paint!!!
    In case you missed it.

I'm so jazzed!
    You are mine now! You belong to me! You're not gonna have your mommies run behind you and wipe your little tushies! No more complaining, no more Mr. Kimball I have to go to the bathroom, nothing! There is no bathroom!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    See? A little preparation makes not wearing any pants so much more practical.

Especially since he's using this:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/278910

as a guideline LOL. Lucky you.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    In the game are 34 Southern Militia equal to 64 British Regulars? I think historically they might have been...

... just kidding to all the Loyalists out there...

They are looking SWEET! Are the Grey Knights going to be NMM?
    Nah, you're getting all mixed up there buddy, British soldiers are the finest in the world lol.

Historically speaking I would have supported the Americans colonies anyway, they were quite right to break away. I'll get around to swotting up on it one day, I love history.

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Tough act to follow matey....that Grey Knight is ace! After what I've seen on the Tomb Kings thingy though I am really looking forward to seeing your work on these.

Cheers
    Will
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

Finished Gamling's face today, despite the migraine that took me out of commission for most of the day more work coming soon on this dude!
    My Rank -

I don't think I have told you lately that I hate you, but I do. Seriously, painting the iris? Are you Satan? Just Kidding, Ace.

About time we got some updates. Jeez...
    You are mine now! You belong to me! You're not gonna have your mommies run behind you and wipe your little tushies! No more complaining, no more Mr. Kimball I have to go to the bathroom, nothing! There is no bathroom!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    See? A little preparation makes not wearing any pants so much more practical.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboClown View Post
    About time we got some updates. Jeez...
    Haha! I've been really busy getting ready for school, plus I had a super busy weekend. Drescher, Max and I (plus the Mrs.) all went out and saw Conan on Friday. It was pretty bad.... but filled with lots of Ahhhhnulding to make up for the crappiness. YYyYyyYYYYEEEAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!
    My Rank -

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    I don't think I have told you lately that I hate you, but I do. Seriously, painting the iris? Are you Satan? Just Kidding, Ace.
    I have to admit...I think I hate him too...he paints so freakin' well and so quickly too. And the detailing that gets done is just crazy. He may not be satan, but he must have made a deal of some sort for super painting powers lol.

As always, love the work you put up. It's inspiring for us to just keep a tab on the painting you do and to try to copy it. More updates plz

Oh, what did the people sitting around us think? Who cares, it was fun! Liking the face on Gamling, Jeff. Your characters always look so expressive. I must steal this technique when next we meet.

BTW Vern, what's with this commissioning Jeff when you had "no money" to come to Games Day with? Phooey on you, sir. You're coming next year and that's final!