Elly's WIP - Page 16
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly's WIP

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    I don't think I have told you lately that I hate you, but I do. Seriously, painting the iris? Are you Satan? Just Kidding, Ace.
    Quote Originally Posted by war0827 View Post
    I have to admit...I think I hate him too...he paints so freakin' well and so quickly too. And the detailing that gets done is just crazy. He may not be satan, but he must have made a deal of some sort for super painting powers lol.
    lol! Poor Elly! But I have to admit, as I sit here and stare at my yet another pitiful attempt at NMM. I have to wonder, Elly, did you ever paint like a newb and sit here wanting to beat your head on the table because it looks sooooo bad you wonder how it will ever get better?

Do you have a photo of the very first mini you ever painted?

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    lol! Poor Elly! But I have to admit, as I sit here and stare at my yet another pitiful attempt at NMM. I have to wonder, Elly, did you ever paint like a newb and sit here wanting to beat your head on the table because it looks sooooo bad you wonder how it will ever get better?

Do you have a photo of the very first mini you ever painted?
    Ohhhhhh yes I have some BAD minis I painted years ago. Just ask Trystan - I went through a Testors "Chrome Silver" phase and went nuts with my metals.... a drybrush with white phase, and a few others. All in the attempt to try and figure out how to paint and try new things. Next time I have my light setup I'll take a few pics of some of my first minis so we can all have a good laugh LOL!!!!
    My Rank -

I really like the face on the Gamling. Mind sharing what colors you used?

Haha unlike me, he still has his old painted eldar around. The first thing I did when I got back into the hobby was throw all my old figs into a acid bath. No evidence that I was worse than I am now! (Except for Ulrik, but he's so overshaded I think he'd fit right in with some circles here...)
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Beamo View Post
    I really like the face on the Gamling. Mind sharing what colors you used?
    I use Tallarn Flesh as a base, then shade down with a dab of P3 Sanguine Base mixed in, then shade to the darkest using Scorched Brown. To highlight up I go from Tallarn to a mix of P3 Midlund Flesh and P3 Menoth White Base (or Bleached Bone). Then for the highlight above that I add a dab of white. That's my generic recipe for flesh i use pretty regularly! I would eventually like to get into more interesting skin tones (like Automaton uses), but I have enough on my plate right now - so that will have to wait until later lol

@Trystan - that classic ULRIK! You can never strip that guy hehehehe
    My Rank -

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    Ohhhhhh yes I have some BAD minis I painted years ago. Just ask Trystan - I went through a Testors "Chrome Silver" phase and went nuts with my metals.... a drybrush with white phase, and a few others. All in the attempt to try and figure out how to paint and try new things. Next time I have my light setup I'll take a few pics of some of my first minis so we can all have a good laugh LOL!!!!
    I was just thinking that I may do a set of photos just to show how I have progressed in my 10 years of this hobby. Starting with my craptastic Space Marines and Dark Eldar from the 3rd Edition Boxed set. Then we will have some Laughs!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    I was just thinking that I may do a set of photos just to show how I have progressed in my 10 years of this hobby. Starting with my craptastic Space Marines and Dark Eldar from the 3rd Edition Boxed set. Then we will have some Laughs!
    Hey Chad, I'd thought to do Your First Mini's post for comedy. You start it, I'll get some piccies next time I'm at the olds....they have all my crappies in storage. Got some purely bad kislev mounted archers and some minging imperial guard ;-)

Cheers
    Will
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

hey elly, nice work on gamling..

I was wondering what is the consistency for the paint you use on your skin tones. I have been working on some skin and I think I need to add a bit of water, so what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrescher View Post
    BTW Vern, what's with this commissioning Jeff when you had "no money" to come to Games Day with? Phooey on you, sir. You're coming next year and that's final!
    Next year for certain. I still don't have any money, but Jeff is allowing me to pay him in blood so it works out.
    You are mine now! You belong to me! You're not gonna have your mommies run behind you and wipe your little tushies! No more complaining, no more Mr. Kimball I have to go to the bathroom, nothing! There is no bathroom!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    See? A little preparation makes not wearing any pants so much more practical.

Once I get the models that I'll be working on, I'll post a WiP for GD 2012 too. Gonna be Balin, a Helm's deep Dio for LotR Group, Warhammer Regiment (I haven't really decided yet, suggestions? I was thinking Tomb Guard, maybe some new Ogre stuff), and I think that's about it.
    You are mine now! You belong to me! You're not gonna have your mommies run behind you and wipe your little tushies! No more complaining, no more Mr. Kimball I have to go to the bathroom, nothing! There is no bathroom!

Quote Originally Posted by HoboClown View Post
    Once I get the models that I'll be working on, I'll post a WiP for GD 2012 too. Gonna be Balin, a Helm's deep Dio for LotR Group, Warhammer Regiment (I haven't really decided yet, suggestions? I was thinking Tomb Guard, maybe some new Ogre stuff), and I think that's about it.
    Awesome dude, definitely start a WIP when you get to work!

So no updates today. Wanted to work a lot but ended up screwing up my ankle playing basketball today. Jumped for a rebound, and landed on another guy's foot and turned it with a nice POP! So yeah, spent most the day getting Xrays (it's a chip fracture on my ankle bone), and hopped up on Norco... ah well! I'll get back to it tomorrow~~
    My Rank -

Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    Awesome dude, definitely start a WIP when you get to work!

So no updates today. Wanted to work a lot but ended up screwing up my ankle playing basketball today. Jumped for a rebound, and landed on another guy's foot and turned it with a nice POP! So yeah, spent most the day getting Xrays (it's a chip fracture on my ankle bone), and hopped up on Norco... ah well! I'll get back to it tomorrow~~
    I feel your pain man. I gouged myself up pretty good sliding into second last night. Loving every minute of it though! It's good to be playing sports again.

So another update! More work on Gamling done. He should be done either tomorrow evening or Sunday sometime. (probably Sunday hehe) I have been keeping elements of Erkenbrand on him (like the same color vambraces, the repeated cloak and pant textures, etc), so he fits right in with the collector's "group." I think he may have an armored Eowyn coming up as well as some of the metal Rohan guard dudes for me as well.

Time to rest the leg and then back to work!
    My Rank -

If you're accustomed to painting with both feet firmly planted on the ground, then are in a situation where you're supposed to keep it elevated. It get's tough, believe me I know. lol!

One question for ya tho Elly...and you know I gotta ask since you're painting my favorite group of LOTR - Rohan (oh, there's a surprise, I'm sure! lol!). Any horses coming up?

It sucks. Strip it and do it properly. With lots of metals and overshading. And maybe some blue. LOL
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

The cloth and the vambraces are, of course, spectacular. The scales look all white to me.

Love the Gamling (it is awesome), but is it just me or would those eyes give Jack Nicholson a run for crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by TomasP View Post
    Love the Gamling (it is awesome), but is it just me or would those eyes give Jack Nicholson a run for crazy!
    Haha! Heeeeeeeeeerrre's Gamling!

Hey Hobo, I think the scales came out kind of washed out in these pics. I used white sparingly, only at where the knee is, but it looks like a whole white strip down the leg... hopefully when I take the final pics I can get em to come out right. (good thing there's no scale mail on your grey knights hehehe )
    My Rank -

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    If you're accustomed to painting with both feet firmly planted on the ground, then are in a situation where you're supposed to keep it elevated. It get's tough, believe me I know. lol!

One question for ya tho Elly...and you know I gotta ask since you're painting my favorite group of LOTR - Rohan (oh, there's a surprise, I'm sure! lol!). Any horses coming up?
    Yeah it sucks - I can only stand painting for an hour or two at a time, then I gotta go elevate it up. So I usually just go read or something (reading an Iain Banks culture novel right now - it's some crazy good Sci Fi!!!!) I dont think I have any horses coming up - except for my Warhammer High Elves army. Have a unit of Dragon Princes I'll be painting sometime in the next several months
    My Rank -

Gamling is almost done - Just his cloak and hair left to do! I'll get some pics up tonight when I'm done for the day. I'm hoping to get most of the cloak done tonight, and then finish it up along with the hair and also the base tomorrow morning. I'm hoping to wrap up a couple school things tomorrow as well and maybe, just maybe, get some work done on my own personal projects. That's wishful thinking though
    My Rank -