Elly's WIP - Page 17
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly's WIP

Neat stuff, lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    I dont think I have any horses coming up - except for my Warhammer High Elves army. Have a unit of Dragon Princes I'll be painting sometime in the next several months

Cool! If they're mounted, I want to check 'em out. I always enjoy seeing the various techniques of different artists on just about anything they paint but especially horses. While I specialize in painting the equine, I'm always learning more and more. So I'll just sit back here with the popcorn.

i'm painting injured right now, too...
    gouged up the bottom of my foot yesterday on the reef, on my first wave...
    kept surfing for an hour with 3 nice chunks out of my foot, hobbled around all day, and then put in 6 hours at the painting table...
    no way i felt up to surfing this morning, but i have to keep at the painting since the Hasslefree contest deadline on Wamp is tomorrow...
    the swell is building, so i'll be back in the water tomorrow...
    that salt water is gonna burn so good...

keep up the good work...

cheers
    jah

Haha! Heeeeeeeeeerrre's Gamling!
    (good thing there's no scale mail on your grey knights hehehe )
    Ha! Yeah, I'm gonna have my own problems with Balin. I'm actually thinking about having a run at resculpting those though. They're such a weird shape...
    http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...d=prod1160087a
    ugh...
    You are mine now! You belong to me! You're not gonna have your mommies run behind you and wipe your little tushies! No more complaining, no more Mr. Kimball I have to go to the bathroom, nothing! There is no bathroom!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    See? A little preparation makes not wearing any pants so much more practical.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboClown View Post
    Ha! Yeah, I'm gonna have my own problems with Balin. I'm actually thinking about having a run at resculpting those though. They're such a weird shape...
    http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...d=prod1160087a
    ugh...
    Yeah they are... they are like little rectangles LOL! Painting scale mail has to be one of the toughest things to master for NMM - it still takes me a lot of tweaking to get to look ok

@Jah - ouch! That sounds painful - but at least you can bear the pain and get back out there right away. Sucks but I think I'll have another 4-6 weeks of hobbling around waiting for this thing to heal up >< booooooo and its so nice out right now too!!
    My Rank -

Gamling is done! Except for the base of course...

My Rank -

Woot. /hand clap to that cape! Another impressive mini.

Oh to be so good. Great job :-)

Cheers
    Will
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

very interesting cape, I hope you didn't individually paint in those lines on the cloak..

that would just drive me crazy,

That's fantastic!

Thanks for the skin recipe; worked out great!

Quote Originally Posted by Beamo View Post
    That's fantastic!

Thanks for the skin recipe; worked out great!
    Glad that worked out for ya!

@fear - yes, I did paint all the individual lines hehe

So I went to the Ortho doc today, and I ended up getting fitted with a moon boot! Woohoo I am now part machine YyYyyYYYYYEEEARRRGGHHHH!!! Seriously though, it means I am now more mobile, and can hobble around the apartment without crutches, which makes things waaaay better!!!!
    My Rank -

Gamling looks fantastic!

The last time I talked to Matt he said he might post a bit about the technique on his blog but I haven't seen anything yet. Of course he's been awful busy lately. I'm still very interested in learning it. I wanted to see if my premise on how it would be done is correct.

So I went to the Ortho doc today, and I ended up getting fitted with a moon boot! Woohoo I am now part machine YyYyyYYYYYEEEARRRGGHHHH!!! Seriously though, it means I am now more mobile, and can hobble around the apartment without crutches, which makes things waaaay better!!!!
    lol! I had one of those when I broke my leg. 2 plates and 18 screws on the tibia and fibula and going on down to the ankle joint. All because my dog took off across some grass. I chased and because of the grass I didn't see the hole. Hit it at a dead run. I couldn't get back into the house - thank God for portable phones but when the medics came to help me, one of the poor guys also stepped in the hole and nearly fell. Luckily he was okay otherwise we would have both been in the ER.

Hope the leg keeps improving!!!!

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Come with me if you want to liahve.

Hate to hear that about the leg, man. But it could have been worse, at least you are mobile. I screwed up both ankles a few days ago, and still have to hobble around about 5 miles a day for my classes.

But that Gamling is awesome. That cloak may be my favorite thing on the whole mini. I just love the woven look. Well done.

i did a version of balin, and i must admit i enjoyed the scales. they´re rather big and easy to work with according to me!

Soooo at school right now so no pics yet (I need to download them off my camera still) for Gamling (for submission), but I'll also have another little surprise later. I dug up some old ass minis I painted, showing my different "phases." The pure newbie phase, the drybrush everything with bleached bone or white phase, finally figuring out how to mix paint but blending "crustily," and then a first attempt at NMM with some really poorly shaded red lol... Stay tuned for that! haha!!!!

On a different note, I thought I would reveal my next big project! This will hopefully be done for Crystal Brush, but if not it will show up at GD (or both lol). It will be a diorama - a Chaos Sorcerer vs a Farseer. The Chaos Sorcerer has just vanquished his foes. His potent magical powers and brute strength were too much for the weak and insignificant Seer Council. He has marred the sacred Eldar temple of worship, and wishes to do more so by performing a sacred ritual - one to call a grotesque unbending daemon to tear the place down to rubble. His familiar "friends" are all too happy to desecrate the place of worship, when one isn't holding the magick book of summoning. Just as he rips the heart out of one of his victims, almost completing the ritual, a livid Farseer stealthily enters the temple, and seeing as she knows the battle between her and the sorcerer would be a close match, and if the daemon gets summoned it would be her own demise, she performs a last ditch effort to throw the unsuspecting sorcerer into the abyss. She slams her staff into the ground with all of her might and focus of will, sending out a shockwave of immense power and magickal energies - shattering the pews around her and sending her cloak flailing almost off of her shoulders. Over the next split second, the ground opens up like an earthquake, the wraithbone of the temple floor ripping apart in the direction of the flabbergasted sorcerer. His familiars try to shout out, but as the sorcerer looks over his shoulder, he knows his utter demise is coming, unless he can pull off some sort of miracle....

So that's it! I hope to start it soon (this weekend), and I'll probably start with the basics of the base - that way I can get the general spacing right and sizing of the miniatures I'll have to sculpt/convert.

Pics tonight, I plomise hehehehe
    My Rank -

Oooh...exciting to get to see the progress of your skills!

The dio sounds like it will be epic! Very interested in seeing how you illustrate the story and the progress through start to finish.
    -Aureo

I remember us talking about that scene. I'm looking forward to seeing what you decided on for some of the effects we talked about. Rock it out man! Welcome to the club! You;ve now had your first set of 40k augmetic work done! And here all I've got is my augmetic pancreas...Yeargh!

Finally, some photos. First, I have submitted my Gamling commission - you can vote on it here:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/286460

Also... *drum roll* some newbie pics as requested! HAHA!!! Ok I will explain every phase a little...
    First, this pic has some of the very first minis I have painted. The ork in the middle IS actually the first model I have ever painted, guided by Trystan's Dad waaaay back in the day! (don't be stingy with the paint, right Tryst? lol!!!) I had yet to understand how to blend. I remember racking my brain and wanting to be able to edge highlight and studied Mike McVey's models over and over... some failed first attempts at "shading" equals drybrush with Bleached Bone and White.... yeah.... I was still puzzled lol

Next stage - I discovered an awesome paint! Testors CHROME SILVER hahaha I loved it so much I wanted to paint it on everything.... yeah as you can see - these are quite horrid hahaha but I was having fun at this point so what the hell right?

And the next stage! I finally found out how to blend and mix paint! omg! I remember using the backs of blister packs for palettes way back then, and I still have one somewhere that had so much paint buildup on it it was starting to gain thickness lol

And onto more eldar - finished a squad finally, with my most missed color - Deadly Nightshade! What a great color, I do miss it so.... look at that orange and red lol Ohhhh the bright colors of the 90's paint jobs hehehe

And finally one more - One of my very first attempts at NMM, on my first ever vehicle! As you can see, my skills with freehand (it's all freehand on the model, its not too bad!) and such were starting to improve, but I still couldn't shade red at all.... or anything really well for that matter LOL

Anyways, I figure I should close this out with one last pic - of some of my very FIRST paints from this box set!

and here they are (yes these are shakeable and I can STILL use them even after all this time!!!!! Unlike the paints nowadays which dry SO fast):

Anyways, thanks for reading and taking part on a journey through the past... hope you enjoyed!
    My Rank -

Ky, U.S., Earth, Milky Way, Known Univers

I knew it.... even your "bad" stuff would pwn and pew pew my best lol Cool stuff though! Can't wait to see what you do with the story above!

As I texted Elly earlier, I'm glad he shared this stuff. It's nice to see that even a top 250 rated artist started somewhere near normal.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Cool stuff Elly! It's very, very interesting to see the progression, about what sort of time span are we looking at between the various min

Yeah, color choices may have been funky but it's really cool to see. You have so much talent, it's amazing. It's so cool Trystan's dad got you into the hobby and you found your calling.