Elly's WIP - Page 23
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly's WIP

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by skraaal View Post
    Looking good! I like the maroon color and think it'll look better when the blue gems are all done. You could always tint it ever so slightly towards the orange side, but you already have yellows from the gold.
    Yeah, I think he is correct, it may look better when the blue is in. If not maybe a sepia wash? To tint the maroon just a bit. Anyway, beautiful work!

So no actual painting updates just yet. Been a rough start to the Fall between travelling, starting school, and getting sick. So not really any more painting completed on the sphinx just yet, but I do have another interesting update.... so my wife and I were planning a trip to France next year in May, but it turns out that we would be more likely to go in the Fall. Soooooooo that means I could possibly make an appearance at GD France next year if it's around the same time! Anyone know if it's usually around Sep-Octoberish?
    I have to think of some projects to start for it soon, but mainly I'm looking forward to meeting the artists and experiencing the next level of the hobby~ I really hope this works out! GD France next year, and GD UK the next? Will I have what it takes to compete? I guess we shall see!!
    My Rank -

You will have to start painting now to get one finished
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    You will have to start painting now to get one finished
    LOL maybe for the GD UK in 2014
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

I guess we shall see! I just want to bring a handful of things - some of the best stuff I can do, and compete and see what happens. I have plenty of time, especially once school ends in three months
    My Rank -

Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    I guess we shall see! I just want to bring a handful of things - some of the best stuff I can do, and compete and see what happens. I have plenty of time, especially once school ends in three months
    I really think you could compete anywhere in the world. You have a great crisp style without being flat. I would love to see you bring home a foreign Demon. Just have to pick out projects that show off your highest quality skills. Good luck!

So I'm in a dilemma and having a hard time coming to a final decision. So I have a shit ton of minis sitting around getting dusty - just sitting there. I bought a blood angels army thinking I would play the game but - after a couple of years I have them just sitting in a box in my closet. I did the same with Warhammer - bought a High Elf army, got excited to play, but just haven't. I also have odds and ends of stuff sitting around that I thought was cool, but I'll never ever get around to. I kind of feel like a hoarder! I have a pretty hard time letting go of my material goods, but I know this stuff is never going to be used (or probably won't be). I got it because GW does a good job of getting you excited to play their games, but I dunno - I just don't see myself driving 45 minutes to the nearest store and dealing with BO for several hours while playing a game I'm not really sure that I like. I just think - I could be out playing the game or at home painting. I ask myself - how am I going to spend the already limited time that I have?
    I also feel like having tons of minis is kind of a burden on me. It makes me a bit overwhelmed - I spend most of the time asking myself what I want to paint or do instead of actually just sitting down and doing something. Well, I could paint my army so I can play, or I could paint one of these 400 models sitting around... it's just too much, and then I end up feeling like I want to paint none of it. LOL
    So I was thinking of maybe unloading some stuff - but I don't want to regret it later. I could get a pretty substantial amount of money back, or I could even paint some of it that's already put together and primed and get a few extra bucks.
    So I'm looking for some outside opinions.... What do you guys think? Ditch the army stuff? How would I sell it? Feebay?
    Anyways thanks for listening to me babble... off to ponder this more...
    My Rank -

If by now u havnt played any games, i doubt you will.

I play maybe one or two games a year of 40k, and i have 1 workable army for that. Other then that i am having fun painting an Everblight force for hordes.

But beyond that it will be single minis for the forseeable future.

So my advice is, pick either the blood angles or the high elves and sell the rest. If in a yeras time you still havent used the angels, sell them aswell.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Marjedi is right, I need to get rid of my stuff as well. I am in the same boat as you. I like the background, so I got minis to do armies, then I discovered that I do not enjoy gaming. Well to clarify, I do not enjoy being around the gamers in my area. Plus with the time crunch, I would rather paint instead of listen to people argue about rules and such. Now I am just tired of GW in general, so I have been looking at other games or ranges. That is why I do not have a GD thread, or any WIP thread, going now. I haven't been painting.

If I were you, I would finish some minis, sell them, and sell off one of the armies, as Mar suggested, and try the other. The stuff you sell I would list here, in the market, then if that fails try Feebay. Maybe Bartertown.

Good luck, either way. Maybe you should just try something new, for a challenge, there are some loverly Knight Models LoTR stuff . I went for some Star Wars stuff myself.

Gw PTSD, i have that as well atm. And I haven't been painting either. I am selling most of my 40k stuff, only keeping my 95% completed dark eldar.

I have looked at the star wars stuff, sucks they have lost the license. The ironman and boba fett busts look interesting and like fun to do.

I have fallen in love with warmahordes and am looking forward to doing some colossals and gargantuans.

Freebooter miniatures also make some really characterfull minis.
    Last edited by marjedi; 09-22-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Yeah - I've been looking into a lot of different minis - I love a lot of the Andrea line, Knight Models of course, and I am super looking forward to getting my Sedition Wars set in a few months. I find myself a lot more likely to play a skirmish type of game. I do play Space Hulk every now and again - but large scale armies just isn't for me I guess.

I would also love to learn how to sculpt and be able to convert or scratchbuild any visions or ideas that I have...

Anyways thanks for the advice!!!
    My Rank -

I am a horder as well and could never sell anything, although i have did some trading in the past. Maybe you just need to assign a code to what you have and use a random number generator to pick what to paint so you do not have to think about it.

No updates in three months? School's out forever (thank you alice), now get painting!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Guehuhahaha! Soon, soon.... school is still wearing off. Been getting used to not having homework at night. Gotta clean up my table too cause it's got some crap on it I need to go through. I'll get something up in the next few days!
    My Rank -

I am the same way (with my personal and.business) except i made a rule and if i have something more then a year and haven't touchex it then it becomes funding. I ebay, sell to other stores, auction it off etc as i don't like clutter.
    Visit my Hobby webstore at http://battleroadhobbies.com/ . Also I am available for commission just shoot me a pm.

Face looks great. Could you please base paint the hair to have a overall look?

I think that getting rid of minis is hard, I have hoarded a lot of things over the years, and it is the things I got rid of that mostly create the most regret, rather than the wasted money.

I would suggest, when deciding what to get rid of, to think about how unique the item is, and don't get rid of those at all, how classic it is, and don't get rid of it, how likely it is to be redone or rereleased in another form, and don't get rid of them at all, all for the reasons being they will go up in value and become more collectable and sought after. Look at the old Space Hulk Genestealers; Patriarch, Hybrids, Magus, Grey Knights, Inquisitors, Ordo Malleus - I at one point painted every single one of these models GW ever made during that time, for a friend of mine who gamed, but man, to own all those models now is a dream.

More recently I purchased on ebay a lot of very old Eldar models, some of the very first sculpts GW ever produced. Guardians, Pirates, Harlequins, the first ever Avatar (he's tiny) etc etc and my intention was to paint each one up to the highest standard possible. So I only painted one, before moving on, but there's no way I will sell them, as they are too precious.

With armies, you have a ton of plastic frames, in boxes, I think the best thing to do is not sell them either, because someday a spark of inspiration might come along, and those blood angels might be seen again, with an idea to convert them all into a new chapter never seen before, the same with the high elves, perhaps a theme hits you and you work on them with a fresh resolve, so having not sold them is not such a bad thing.

I can only imagine how many bitz and unfinished models there are in your collection, but hoarding is not such a bad thing, unless you have financial problems and need some fast cash coming in.

I wouldn't sell anything. I bought Dreadfleet when I was working at GW Shanghai, in fact my whole staff bought a copy each, and I doubt any of us will ever play it again, but mine is still unopened and I won't sell it. Maybe one day I will paint it up as well as I can and give it to my daughter.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I think that getting rid of minis is hard, I have hoarded a lot of things over the years, and it is the things I got rid of that mostly create the most regret, rather than the wasted money.

I would suggest, when deciding what to get rid of, to think about how unique the item is, and don't get rid of those at all, how classic it is, and don't get rid of it, how likely it is to be redone or rereleased in another form, and don't get rid of them at all, all for the reasons being they will go up in value and become more collectable and sought after. Look at the old Space Hulk Genestealers; Patriarch, Hybrids, Magus, Grey Knights, Inquisitors, Ordo Malleus - I at one point painted every single one of these models GW ever made during that time, for a friend of mine who gamed, but man, to own all those models now is a dream.

More recently I purchased on ebay a lot of very old Eldar models, some of the very first sculpts GW ever produced. Guardians, Pirates, Harlequins, the first ever Avatar (he's tiny) etc etc and my intention was to paint each one up to the highest standard possible. So I only painted one, before moving on, but there's no way I will sell them, as they are too precious.

With armies, you have a ton of plastic frames, in boxes, I think the best thing to do is not sell them either, because someday a spark of inspiration might come along, and those blood angels might be seen again, with an idea to convert them all into a new chapter never seen before, the same with the high elves, perhaps a theme hits you and you work on them with a fresh resolve, so having not sold them is not such a bad thing.

I can only imagine how many bitz and unfinished models there are in your collection, but hoarding is not such a bad thing, unless you have financial problems and need some fast cash coming in.

I wouldn't sell anything. I bought Dreadfleet when I was working at GW Shanghai, in fact my whole staff bought a copy each, and I doubt any of us will ever play it again, but mine is still unopened and I won't sell it. Maybe one day I will paint it up as well as I can and give it to my daughter.

Cheers!
    I like your advice - and a lot of those reasons are why I have a hard time letting go of things. Like you said, what if some day I do get inspiration to paint those high elves? Even if it's 5 years from now? But I just don't want to be a hoarder of stuff. Too much stuff means too much clutter. But you do give some good advice... I still have yet to unload anything...

Anyways on the painting side of things I finally picked up a brush again - working on the Space Hulk set for my own personal collection, but nothing in the pipeline for competition this year (I probably won't be on the competition scene until next year, but you never know with me)
    My Rank -

How about some sneaky peeks of the space hulk termies? ........ please......... pretty please?
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post

Cheers!
    Thank god i dont bond emptionally with items :-)

If i dont miss panting, playing, modelling og gaming with stuff for a year it gets sold.