Do you use an airbrush for any painting?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use an airbrush for any painting?

Question Do you use an airbrush for any painting?

I have one for models but didn't know if there was a use for them in miniatures. thanks.

i use mine for zenithal highlighting on groups of minis. it's also great for vehicles and terrain
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

They're great for base painting miniatures, but you can do a lot more painting and effects as long as you mask the mini correctly. There are some guys that do all but the tiniest details with their airbrushes.

Blog Entries

Yep, I use mine (0.2 nozzle tamiya superfine), to basecoat minis or provide zenithal highlights. I've found I can get miniatures done much quicker. For example, I recently finished a lot of Menoth miniatures using an undercoat of Tamiya Superfine Surfacer > Airbrush with Menoth White Base (P3 paint) thinned with a mix of future + water 20:80, then wash the whole miniature with Gryphonnia Sepia to 1) shade the MWB 2) shade the rest of the recess. Pick out the detials, highlight, done!

Obviously airbrushes have great application when painting tanks etc

Most of the stuff in my gallery was partly done with the use of an airbrush (Aztek). I've used it for 1/6 busts down to 32mm minis, and all scales in between.

Einion

Aztek's are awesome- that's what I have. I did have to buy a bench air compressor because I was running through cans of propellant like there was no tomorrow... but i got an excellent one from Harbor Freight for only $70.

Yep; all the time. Had great success using an HP-A, SB or my micron, loaded with whatever I need (base tone, HL or shades...), in a hanger on my desk, to blend colors in congunction with reg brush painting. I've used 'washes' in brushes sitting on my bench like this to blend shades, overspray/blend colors, etc. Good fun. Crazy, but fun. Also good for drying things when you need some air.

An airbrush is the best investment a miniature painter can make. No more "painters burnout"! We just updated a vid that features an airbrushed army, check it out to see our results...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIs9WjO8fu0

I'm just a neophyte with my airbrush, but I have found it invaluable for priming, varnishing, and doing very simple, one color base coats.

So far I've just used mine for vehicles (and not very many, since I hardly ever have both the time and presence of mind/inspiration to paint these days), but I plan to expand its usage into at least basecoating and general shading. Manumilitari's work with an airbrush really helped spur me into getting one.

Airbrushes are a great way to speed up "chore" painting, such as base coating and larger vehicles. I am glad I got my Paasche. Now that I have one, I find I use it more and more; there always seems to be a new use for them.
    The only real learning curve is mixing the paint to the right consistency to flow through the brush. OH yes, and clean the livin' piss out of the brush when your done!
    Proper preparation of the mini to be painted helps too...

Oh yeah, thanks for jogging my memory.

You MUST strain your paint!!!

A year ago I saw this tutorial on painting with an airbrush. I believe it was a PDF, and it showed this guy painting a Captain Kirk model almost solely with an airbrush. I thought it was from Andrea Miniatures, but I can't find it on their site. I would love to see it again if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

I think that was Andrea, but maybe it was a repost on YouTube taken from their DVD?

Einion

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    I think that was Andrea, but maybe it was a repost on YouTube taken from their DVD?

Einion
    I don't know, because what I saw was definately a step by step PDF, not a video.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    Airbrushes are a great way to speed up "chore" painting, such as base coating and larger vehicles. I am glad I got my Paasche. Now that I have one, I find I use it more and more; there always seems to be a new use for them.
    The only real learning curve is mixing the paint to the right consistency to flow through the brush. OH yes, and clean the livin' piss out of the brush when your done!
    Proper preparation of the mini to be painted helps too...
    Yeah, I recently got an Aztek A470, and after spending a couple of days with the old "water and newsprint" and then "ink and newsprint" I finally got around to trying it on a test model. Definitely think I'll be using it a lot once I get more and more used to it.

And cleaning is really important. Luckily, I got ahold of an ultrasonic cleaner, and dropping the nozzles in there after a full spray-through of a paintcup of water and paintcup of simple green, they're practically brand new. Now just to figure out if I'm willing to try tossing the body in there.... (I did send an email to Testors to ask them if that would be safe for the gun itself.)

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post
    I don't know, because what I saw was definately a step by step PDF, not a video.
    Thought what I'd seen was video but I could easily be mixing it up with something else from Andrea. Either way, can't remember for the life of me where I saw it!

Quote Originally Posted by Valander View Post
    And cleaning is really important. Luckily, I got ahold of an ultrasonic cleaner, and dropping the nozzles in there after a full spray-through of a paintcup of water and paintcup of simple green, they're practically brand new.
    Excellent, if they get clean on the inside the ultrasonic cleaner is going to be awesome for you, so you don't have to disassemble them for proper cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Valander View Post
    Now just to figure out if I'm willing to try tossing the body in there.... (I did send an email to Testors to ask them if that would be safe for the gun itself.)
    No, it's not safe to immerse the gun in any liquid!

No need to anyway - the body doesn't get dirty that you'd notice. The front recess, where most paint builds up, is engineered to have wide tolerances; kinda like the inside of an AK-47, it can get pretty gummed up and it'll still work just fine. If and when that buildup does become a problem, you just scrape the paint out with the tool provided.

Einion

that captain kirk thing is a pdf from andrea. pm your email and i'll send it
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Can anyone in the UK recommend a cheap airbrush. I hear people talking about Azteks and Microns but they are to much for me at the moment. I want to get one to spray the FW Marine that I am working on at the moment, and want to have a go at the style of paint job that Giganticdark did on his marine; the large areas of armour as opposed to the fine detail work. I don't want to go overboard on the price as I am not sure if I will use it much if at all after finishing the Marine

I have been advised against the GW one due to the variable quality that it can produce; from really good to really bad so not worth taking the risk. I have seen on Ebay- compressor and dual action spray gunfor £75 -http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AIRBRUSH-KIT-A...item5635b6fe82

Is this a good buy for what I want to do or should I avoid it like the plague?
    What you leave behind is not what is written on your tombstone but what is written in the heart of others.

Nelson0mac
    I'm by no means an expert on airbrushes, but the one you are showing the ebay link to looks a decent deal.
    However I'll add a caveat to that using an airbrush as a beginner the model of brushes in the deal may prove to be difficult an fiddly to maintain and work with.
    For a begginner "cutting his teeth" on airbrushes and perfecting the use of them an AZTEK is far better to start with. Its interchangable nozzles make maintenance a lot easier, plus if you do screw up a nozzle a replacement is less hassle fitting, especially if you have clumsy fingers like me.
    Once you get the hang of double action techniques (not all that easy) and control of paint dilution then using a more complex and finer control airbrush might be exactly "Up Your Street".

Sadly I've known someone rave about their bright and shiney new airbrush and then find they can't manage it (their lack of self discipline) only for it to be negelected and allowed to go unmaintained and ruined.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.