Do you use an airbrush for any painting? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you use an airbrush for any painting?

Blog Entries

Einion,

I did hear back from Testors about putting the main body in the ultrasonic cleaner, and they say they've not tested it, but confirmed it was not a good idea to submerge the entire body, even in just water. So, I'll just make sure I run some cleaner through it "the normal way".

I know you use the Aztek pretty regularly. I've been kinda looking around online, and there aren't many articles or videos about any useful techniques or tricks for painting figures for the most part. I can find a few about tanks or larger garage kits, but doesn't seem like a whole lot out there for 25-30mm stuff, which is mainly what I'm going to work with. Obviously, a big part of it is practice and finding out what works for me, but I'd definitely listen if you were to post any tricks you've discovered...

The best advice I could give would be to do what I'm doing- get some cheap miniatures to play around with and experiment with your airgun. I'm going to be using mine to paint as much as possible of my AoBR units. It's easy to basecoat and do one, maybe 2 levels of highlights with the airbrush before you have to finish the detail work with a normal brush.

Quote Originally Posted by nels0nmac View Post
    Can anyone in the UK recommend a cheap airbrush. I hear people talking about Azteks and Microns but they are to much for me at the moment.
    What is your budget?

I collected a short list of entry-level double-action airbrushes for another forum so I can just paste it in here for you:

Aztek
    A4709 is the kit with the best value, sub-$100 (RRP $210) and includes six nozzles and six colour cups; for the body only you can find the A470 for around $70 (list $125!)

Premi-Air
    G35 - can be found for £35 (approximately $52)

Badger
    Patriot 105 - $72 (list is $130)

Paasche
    Talon - body only can be found for about $73 (list price $148)

Iwata
    Revolution CR or BR - body only can be found for approx. $73 (list is $105)

Harder & Steenbeck
    Evolution Solo - $123 (list$153)

Peak
    C-5, $109 (list $195)

Bear in mind you have to factor in the air supply, so that generally means either canned air or a compressor in practice. And as mentioned in many prior threads, cans can very quickly mount up to the same price as a compressor!

Quote Originally Posted by nels0nmac View Post
    I have seen on Ebay- compressor and dual action spray gunfor £75 -http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AIRBRUSH-KIT-A...item5635b6fe82
    Is this a good buy for what I want to do or should I avoid it like the plague?
    The issues surrounding non-brand airbrushes and compressors have been covered in a fair few prior threads and it's ditto on my comment from one of them: it's a good price, but there are some ifs. It's great if the airbrush is decent (built well, to last; the nozzle/needle sprays well), if there are spare parts available for it and if the compressor provides a good, steady airflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Valander View Post
    I know you use the Aztek pretty regularly. I've been kinda looking around online, and there aren't many articles or videos about any useful techniques or tricks for painting figures for the most part. I can find a few about tanks or larger garage kits, but doesn't seem like a whole lot out there for 25-30mm stuff, which is mainly what I'm going to work with. Obviously, a big part of it is practice and finding out what works for me, but I'd definitely listen if you were to post any tricks you've discovered...
    See comments in these threads for a start:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ting-6mm-scale
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...irbrush-needed

I almost never, even for busts and large-scale figures, bother with spraying detail directly - mostly just don't need to. I rely almost entirely on what zenithal spraying can give and then use brushwork to do adjustments, to get colour into areas that the spray doesn't reach properly (e.g. deep vertical folds) plus to touch up edges and sharpen details.

Masking is in many ways the unsung hero of airbrushing, as touched on in a few prior discussions. As I say in one of the two threads above, the effort involved shouldn't be underestimated - masking and unmasking can take more time than the spraying. IMO you have to have a couple/three different masking options; a liquid mask + Parafilm M would be my two main recommendations. Plastic food wrap is well worth trying too, as are Silly Putty, Blu-Tack, damp tissue, Post-Its, hand-held paper or card masks, your thumb, airbrushing frisket, Tamiya masking tape...

In terms of getting experience in masking, great tip here from airhead:
    Quote Originally Posted by airhead
    [if you don't have a Paasche AB turbo] get a mini and an egg of silly putty and spend a week painting, masking and repainting a mini.
    Einion

I have the Aztek A-270 and it works like a dream.

If you're on a tight budget hunt around on ebay try the aerograph models (independent air/paint) bid for them and be patient, you can get some good ones, but like with any auction, know your limit and stick to it! The stuff you want will become available eventually. Likewise go there for compressors (Jun-Air/Bambi are powerful and quiet).
    If you like to drool http://www.everythingairbrush.com is where I got my airbrushes from, they give extremely good advice. Also allow some budget for airline piping, paint and mixing pots too.