Help for base!!!

Thread: Help for base!!!

Default Help for base!!!

Hey guys,

I have a captain sicarius mini that i'm almost done painting( i just have the two hands and the banner left) And i wanted to do something extra special for my base.

I had two ideas for this, since his cape and banner seem to be blowing in the wind, these are my ideas:

1. Him standing in a field, all epic like, with the grass blowing, however, if i do this, i want the grass to be taller than static grass..Is there any product that could achieve this?

2. Him in a dessert with sand dunes and everything blowing in the wind.

3. Any suggestions other than what i said?

Thanks guys, Gary.

Hiya,

For your long grass needs try sourcing some animal hair, basically the same hair they make brushes out of. I think hog hair is about the right thickness/texture for long grass/wheat. I know hobby supply stores call this product simply "long grass" but I'm sure it's just hair. That should help with your gladiator style "elysian fields" theme if you choose it!

If you want to get the long grass...go to a local train hobby store that carries woodlands scenic products and ask for these

I have used them for this little guy here

Hope this helps

find a old broom,cit thestraw part of broom to size and put it on base usually if its a used broom the straw part will be leaning tro one side from the broom
    being pushed on one side.pluss it holds paint pretty good.

for the mini i would suggest a base of rock jutting out at a angle and him atop it. like the trailer to lion king where the little lion was born, but with death and no little lions. unfortunately this could unbalance the base and model.
    Now doing commissions! PM me for details.
    wanted: any plastic models from the screamingbell/Plague furnace. PM if you have any.

Actually, i quite like cog's idea, i could still have the "elysian fields" idea going on underneath. I was thinking of painting a backdrop for this as well, with a burning sky, and possibly drop pods shooting down. As if his was the first to arrive, so he went to get a better look.

Thanks guys for all the help!
    Btw, i don't have a local hobby store, the closest thing is a comic book shop that also sells warhammer. :P

Cheers, Gary.

If you need longer grass looking stuff, i would recommend using an old paint brush (that is still fairly clean). Simple cut the hair of the brush off and trim to the length you want. Depending on what the brush is made out of you may have to dye the hairs first before gluing if you want a different color of grasses.

I would imagine that synthetic brushes would work a little better because IMHO they would dye easier (as lots of them come with white hairs instead of browns).

Quote Originally Posted by COG View Post
    for the mini i would suggest a base of rock jutting out at a angle and him atop it. like the trailer to lion king where the little lion was born, but with death and no little lions. unfortunately this could unbalance the base and model.
    i was going to suggest the same thing so it gets my vote
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Is the woodland scenics long grass made out off horse hair? or something