Excess Superglue Removal

Thread: Excess Superglue Removal

Default Excess Superglue Removal

Hey everyone, I've got a question about a case of extreme superglue excess.
    I got a squad of Space Marines in a lot, assembled but un-painted un-primed, and when they were put together someone went a little overzealous with the superglue. The chests and half of the arms/legs are basically completely coated in the stuff. These guys are plastic, is there any way I can clean off some of this glue without killing the models?

Thanks,
    Dave

Think I would try to soak them in simple green for a day or so to soften then take a xacto knife and carefully strip off or use a file...
    Winter is Coming...

http://tabstudio.com

Purple Power usually loosens superglue after a good long soak. I use it as a paint stripper, and it's a lot stronger than Simple Green.

If there's a lady (or a cross dresser*) in the house that does their nails, could check their nail-polish remover. If it has acetone in it that could do the trick.

There's a list of things you could try. I'm guessing the products mentioned by others either have acetone or care comparable to what is mentioned in this vid as "goo".

*Oddly, when I think of a cross dresser I think of someone putting on trousers while angrily shouting their failings.

Just be careful with acetone it will eat plastic. If you drop a piece of plastic into acetone, it will turn to goo.
    Spanish Balloons? Mongo like spanish balloons!

A knife, file or sand paper would do.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do in fact live with a lady (not a crossdresser =P ) and she does have a hefty supply of nail-polish remover with acetone in it, however I didn't want to use it since I thought it would melt the plastic.

I think I'll go shopping and see if I can find some Purple Power and/or Simple Green. I'll let you know how it goes.

Try a very sharp pointed blade worked under the edge to "POP" it off, if the minis were not degreased this may work

I'm not sure what it would do to the plastic, but WD40 will eat superglue.

Which might mean it'll eat the plastic. Hmm...
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TheCave View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I do in fact live with a lady (not a crossdresser =P ) and she does have a hefty supply of nail-polish remover with acetone in it, however I didn't want to use it since I thought it would melt the plastic.
    I think you'll be extremely lucky if nail-polish remover works without attacking the plastic. In fact it would probably work better on the plastic

Tercha's tip is well worth trying - sometimes superglue will just pop off a surface with a bit of prying. Another good tip that's probably worth using in addition to this is shoving the mini into the freezer for a couple of hours beforehand as apparently superglue becomes more brittle at low temperatures. This is supposed to be very useful for snapping apart models with minimal risk of breaks or bends.

Quote Originally Posted by PegaZus
    I'm not sure what it would do to the plastic, but WD40 will eat superglue.
    Didn't know that!

WD40 is often okay on polymers (can be sprayed liberally over an engine for example) not sure about the stuff GW use on their figures though so it would be best to test first.

Einion

I tried liberally soaking a metal mini that has too much super on it with WD40. Left it for about an hour or so. No discernable difference, the super glue certainly hadn't been eaten away. Cellulose thinners does a wonderful job on making the super glue soft so that it can be peeled off, and it only takes about a hour to soften up. Don't try this with plastics as it will rapidly turn to goo. The only problem with cellulose thinners is that it's not generally available; hence me trying out different methods. Standard brush cleaner does not work.
    I'll give nail varnish remover a go and see what happens.
    What you leave behind is not what is written on your tombstone but what is written in the heart of others.

Good news.... for those in the UK you can buy Cellulose thinners from Halfords. 500ml tin cost approx £6.50. Stick your metal minis in a glass jar cover them with thinners and wait for the paint to fall off. This works particularly well if the model has been sprayed with primer first. Super glue goes soft and sometimes takes on a bit of the colour of whatever the mini has been painted with; which makes it easier to find all of the bits of glue.
    What you leave behind is not what is written on your tombstone but what is written in the heart of others.