SkelettetS wip - Page 145
Page 145 of 229 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,900 of 4565

Thread: SkelettetS wip

Quote Originally Posted by finnpalm View Post
    That's like losing the 100 m dash in the Olympics to someone who crossed the goal line 1/100 of a second before you.
    Or losing the 100 m dash to someone with exactly the same time as you, but the judges liked the colour of his shorts better...
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Ritual View Post
    Or losing the 100 m dash to someone with exactly the same time as you, but the judges liked the colour of his shorts better...
    Pink with gold trim for the win!!
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Yeah. It would be better if they didn't blend personal likes into the equation, and instead flipped a coin. That would be the best in my opinion.
    On the other hand you have different fingers.

Or maybe it's a matter of wooing the judges? Whatever the situation, you could always fall back on life's two Great Lessons:

For practical matters:
    -When in doubt, lubricate

-For spiritual matters:
    Name:  ac272c0e51503fc34dc996686fae0feb.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  75.1 KB
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Well done, mate! I think the competitions was very tough, a lot of really good entries. That they didn't favored your single ones this year doesn't mean you should stick to regiments. Next year it might be your turn.

I agree on the format, relaxed and more akin to a proper convention.

Congraduations to the see dish samurai once again cutting through the competition

from what i´ve heard, gw did a good job. save for the judging. that slayer sword piece doesn't look too special. but then again, could be worse. glad to hear it´s all shaping up. and besides, coventry>burmam airport.

I was waiting for someone else to say it. I've seen blogs where people dog on the SS winner. They say things like oh, the competition must not be very good, and then generally nit-pick a great model. But this year, I'm like WTF, mate? Granted, I have only seen some poorly taken photos, but the winner looks weak! As if shading and highlighting went second class to weathering. The base is simple. I wouldn't even take it for a bronze winner. Again, I could be wrong about it because I wasn't there, and I hate when people dog the winner, but this year I am truly stunned.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Volomir quite liked it, I didn't see it up close. I saw a thread on Facebook slagging it off. Hate that kind of stuff, the only thing it can hope to achieve is making the winner feel bad about him- or herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Avelorn View Post
    Volomir quite liked it, I didn't see it up close. I saw a thread on Facebook slagging it off. Hate that kind of stuff, the only thing it can hope to achieve is making the winner feel bad about him- or herself.
    Yeah, on that level, when the margins are so small, the only thing that one can really do is look at details. And to "slag off" at details is pretty petty. The sum should be "it's even, but we chose this for the winner". That would be honest.
    On the other hand you have different fingers.

Right. Probably shouldn't have even said anything but it just seemed...different...than what I expected. Maybe better pics will change my mind.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Everyone doing this hobby (or any other, for that matter) would benefit greatly from having a more relaxed view on competitions. Do them for the right reasons! Meeting peers is great! To me, that is worth more than anything. Using an up-coming competition as a positive force to make you put that little bit of extra effort into something is great. If that will result in an award... Excellent!! If not... you have done your best and made something you can be proud of. Maybe next time the extra bit of effort will take you all the way. But it's just icing on the cake, in the end. Creating things is a virtue in its own right! Having created something you feel proud of is the best feeling! Don't let something as fickle as judging descisions in a competition take that away. To me, the joy of creating and the joy of sharing those creations, THAT'S what this hobby is about.

^^Truth. Well said man, hope I can have that same attitude when I choose to compete.

Hear hear, Anders! We are preaching from the same gospel.

I don't mind people being upset, we are all different people and some are much more competitive then I am, but as soon as someone being upset turns to pointing fingers at other painters work it crosses a line in my book.

Thanks again friends!

Well done, mate! I think the competitions was very tough, a lot of really good entries. That they didn't favored your single ones this year doesn't mean you should stick to regiments. Next year it might be your turn.
    yes very good competition in all categories!
    well i kind of enjoy painting regiments might be one of the resons was really bored at the last empire guys though but have to find something less uniform.
    also the fact that i put twice the amount of time on the bannerguy's in the regiments than on my single really =)

thats not what i heard volomir said. but probably shouldnt talk about what he said or not.

Hear hear, Anders! We are preaching from the same gospel.

I don't mind people being upset, we are all different people and some are much more competitive then I am, but as soon as someone being upset turns to pointing fingers at other painters work it crosses a line in my book.
    Aaaaa c'mon Sven! you almost rage-quit the hobby when your galadriel wasnt a finalist

i really dont enjoy the bashing of the slayer either. even if it wasnt my choice it won fare and square, not much to say about that. i totally missed it though, never got my attention in the cabinett and forgot to check it afterwards so i can neither bash it or salute it
    to me it was not a stand out winner this year, usually there are some work that truly stand out but this time i felt the golds in basically all categories could win. my choice had probably been Anna's fantastic Lotr mini, but i guess its hard for a lotr mini to win slayer in the demon competition.

Everyone doing this hobby (or any other, for that matter) would benefit greatly from having a more relaxed view on competitions.
    screw the people its all about the win and the huge cash prize! and dont forget the fame and women you get after you recieved your demon/s! lol

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    ^^Truth. Well said man, hope I can have that same attitude when I choose to compete.
    yeah. guess its kind of easy to say that it should matter so much but if i hadnt won anything id probably been really disappointed. like after last years german gd, where i lost to pieces that, for me, wasnt even good painted kind of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    screw the people its all about the win and the huge cash prize! and dont forget the fame and women you get after you recieved your demon/s! lol
    Well, yes... the rock'n'roll life-style of miniature painting does have its appeal!!

First off. I´m not trying to bash the slayer sword winning piece. It looks technically great and a nice piece worthy of a gold. What I said was not aimed at the work of the painter, but at the judges. And besides, I think one has to be able to take some criticism after you know, winning a slayer sword, which is after all one of the great honors we as painters can strive for. What else is the point of rating miniatures on "cool mini or not"?

About the competitive side of mini painting: To each their own, there is nothing wrong about being competitive and seeing competition as important. Taking the moral high ground and blame gaming people who see competitions as more than a reason to meet friends is unfair. People are in the hobby for different reasons, none worse than others. I´ve always had a competitive outlook on life, and if I felt that I couldn't be decent at mini painting, I would probably quit and find something I could do better. Why would painting in any way differ to sports or work? Sure, the main part is about having fun and passing time in a nice environment, but achieving goals and receiving positive feedback is also pretty damn nice:P

nobody said you were ischa, but there are certain threads on FB with the only purpose to flame the ss winner. thats kind of lame, in my opinion.

and no, i most certanly wouldnt continue traveling back and forth across europe if i never won anything.