Lyuun's WiP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyuun's WiP

Default Lyuun's WiP

So, i finally convinced myself to go for making a WIP thread. I thought i could use the motivation as i have a big load of projects running but haven't got to doing alot lately.

I read this Warhammer fantasy tactics article in the most recent Whit Dwarf (364) about a dwarf throng and became so genuinely excited that i wanted to get the exact army myself. before running to the store spending all the money i have, i decided it might be a good idea to make a sample dwarf and see how i liked it.

So i got to digging into my several bitz drawers and found the remains of my battle for skull pass kit. More precisely, i found a miner that i intended to do as a showcase model long ago, but forgot about entirely. Today, i finally got to it.

I have to say, i really enjoyed doing this model; it was something rather different than what i usually do (wood elves, ogre kingdoms, tomb kings, warriors of chaos etc.). i decided i wanted to put a lot of effort into the army when/if i get it and as such decided to go for a NMM style. i've tried NMM several times over, but this is the first time i actually felt i got the hang of it (somewhat). I think it went much better than what i had hoped for at any rate (:

So here's what's new. My photographic skills aren't what they ought be, but they're improving steadily and hopefully, someday in the far future, you may actually see the what is attempted depicted! Anyways...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

my general opinion of the common electric guitar:
    it has two strings too many.

Hello mr.Krinkle, how are you today?

If i had a nickle everytime i made something look bad, i'd be making money in a very strange way!

i dont think you need much practice with the nmm its as good as any i've seen i'm particularly drawn to the reflection of his helmet in the pic blade very fiddly personally i couldnt do that in a month of sundays (slight nod of the head removes hat).
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Wow, thanks! i can assure you, that "reflection" wasn't even halfway intentional, but thanks for thinking so highly of my abilities! *coughcough* (puts hat back on cassar's head).

If i had a nickle everytime i made something look bad, i'd be making money in a very strange way!

That's is a very nice dwarf. I just think the reflection of candle light on the pickaxe is a very little bit too strong.

it's not so bright in RL, but still, i agree. The original thought behind making it so bright was that he'd be in some tunnel or something so it would appear much brighter, but it turned out to look just overdone...

Hi Lyunn, well done for kicking off your thread

Photos: same setup, stick a white background under/behind him, printer paper, old envelope, t-shirt, pillow case... It'll make a big difference to clarity Same image size but dwarf taking up far more of the frame so that we can nit pick too

NMM & fancy source lighting on a test army piece, great googly-moogly, that's going to be a fine looking force! They are going to end up quite yellow with the candlelight & gold. Perhaps switching the red or brown to a different colour may balance him a little more? You mention his overall brightness. With the candle being on his head, perhaps shadow the figure more heavily the closer to the ground?

What's that he's based on?

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Ah mate - almost missed your first WIP threat. Nice one The candle shining is for sure strongest eye catcher on your dwarf so far - works pretty nice for me mate. I really like that - keep going subscribed to my "news" folder
    Have a nice week-end mate. Phat.

alright. it took far too long from last post, but here's what's new. i painted another couple of skull pass dwarfs. i took your advice on the red colour battling the yellow of the gold and changed it to a lowly saturated blue. i think it might be a bit too dull, but i still think it's an improvement.

but as it seems, i can't seem to get pictures of them in stead, here are some picture of some ogre maneaters i recently finished. i really like how they turned out.

it would seem, however, that i couldn't manage to get all of those pictures either... sorry 'bout that...

Stan The Man Ace! Nice work on the stars & stripes.

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

yeah that star pattern is ace, get a headache just looking at it
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

Hurhur, thanks guys. really, thanks (: it scored a 7,9 just since yesterday, so i figured i'd like to improve him further. the cloak was actually intended to be in the rising sun theme, so the lines aren't straight and they're quite big. i'm gonna redo the cloak with brighter reds and narrower stripes. i also noticed i'd actually forgot to do his teeth, so they're done now. also his eye looked rather unclear so i've redone that as well. additionally i'm gonna redo the leather and the gut-plate. i think i can do the leather better than that and the gut-plate is just too messy as it is. more pictures should be up in not too long (:

very fiddly must have driven you nuts doing all those stars

a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.

Haha, not at all, really. they didn't take too long either. i don't know why they were so easy, actually.

Anywhoo... at the moment i am pretty close, i deem, to nirvana. i have two pieces of toast, a cup of tea and all day to paint a mini that i can honestly say i think is coming along nicely. in fact, i might go as far as saying that if everything goes as planned (and i plan on it doing so...) this will be the single best mini i have ever done! There's still quite a lot of retouching to do, but stan the man is up for a comeback!

Being an allergist, spring is a good time for me to do a lot of painting. I am so allergic, in fact, that my level of appreciation for being able to breathe normally through the nose is profound. so when i sit in my comfy chair, nose free of snot, teacup and brush in hand, and stan the man standing on my desk, i am just so happy!

Hi Lyunn, sounds good

The hayfever (mild) thing cropped up for me a couple of years ago and appears to be persisting. I have a newly found respect for those poor kids sat doing their exams, noses streaming & eyes itching. My head feels stuffy & slow with just the mild symptoms I've got.

Hmmm, time for toast methinks

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Default STAN the Man!

May i have your undivided attention please! Yes, come one, come all. The day we have all been awaiting is here at last! Here before you stands a man(eater) who is indisputably traveled, experienced and dazzling! He is indeed the one who traveled, by foot, to the grand and unknown land of America! Upon arrival he encountered a great guardian of the country, who saw our hero as a threat and thus intended to slay him. This guardian called himself Captain America. But the attempt was to no avail and our hero slew him by effortlessly bashing his brains out with a 100 pound mace! Our hero who stands before us then proceeded to take his clothing as a trophy and wore them on an ogrely fashion. After having conquered America he once again stands before us. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome STAN THE MAN!!!

i finally finished him. this is without doubt the best work i've ever done! i am utterly happy about him. still, that doesn't mean i don't think he has room for improvement! i just think that with my current skills, this is probably the best i could possibly achieve. Tips and pointers are certainly still welcome, but if anything is displeasing you can count on me blaming the photography...

also i finally managed to attach the dwarfs and the other maneaters (:
    they will probably need a touchup sooner or later, but not now :P

stan the man, awesome!! really want to paint such a maneater someday, that's such a cool mini.
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

you even painted a gold tooth thats what i call attention to detail

http://coolminiornot.com/250248
    here he is out for voting. some better in detail pics aswell (: