Lyuun's WiP - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyuun's WiP

Hi guys. a good friend of mine is moving and he decided that school next year wouldn't leave too much spare time for him to do warhammer and as such he gave away most of his warhammer stuff to me and one other fella. he got the orcs 'n goblins stuff and i got the high elves stuff + the fortress. (i would really like to have the orcs and goblins, but i don't do them and the other guy does. plus, they're more like goblins 'n orcs, which aren't that funny. the orcs are the best, am i right?)

so anyways. i was looking for tips as for what to do with the new resources! the fortress is mostly unassembled and unpainted, and what has been assembled and/or painted is not irreversible. the same could be said for the high elves. i have a lump of archer bits, a lump of warrior bits and a lump of them horsie dude's bits. so? what do you kind folk think i should do?

i really wanna do something by the ways of a wizards tower or something like that, but i wouldn't know where to start!
    and the elves, i reallt don't know what to do with them. one thing i am sure of though. i do not want to just paint them up standard (y'know... white and blue "Goodguy" scheme...) i wanna do something different with them. and i don't mind spending a whole lotta time on them. how about a diorama? i think i'd like to do a major diorama...

my general opinion of the common electric guitar:
    it has two strings too many.

Hello mr.Krinkle, how are you today?

If i had a nickle everytime i made something look bad, i'd be making money in a very strange way!

Wow, nice freebie Lyuun! Is the Fortress the old GW polystyrene one, which I would consider good wargames terrain but poor for diorama, or is it the more recent plastic Fortified Manorhouse (which I'm currently tempted by) or something else? High Elves aren't my fave & if I remember rightly you're stuck with quite static poses because of the floor length armour/tabards & then the annoying tall helmets. Bits I can think of for kitbashing that should be small enough include, Wood Elves, Daemonettes, Empire Militia, Dryads, Dark Elves & Kroot.

No weird 1970's dusty lump of lead hidden at the bottom of the tub?

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

yeah, it's the old one. but i wasn't thinking of using that in the diorama, really. i was thinking more of a grand-ish centerpiece for gaming. and the static poses? yeah. they suck. but i do have rather a lot of wood elves and a little left of my dark elves. do you think i should kitbash?

i was thinking, for the fortress, maybe kitbash the old thing with a new watchtower or something like that. something cool might come from it, i think (:

If i had a nickle everytime i made something look bad, i'd be making money in a very strange way!

If you're not building a HE army, then yes, I'd just glue interesting characters together. I have the addvantage of being an RPGer who runs games, so no matter how bizarre the thing I glue together I can write it into the story so that it sees the tabletop Though the kit-bashing is fairly new to me & I need to up my putty skills, I'm enjoying it & a crate of freebie sprues to combine with your own bits box seems as good an opportunity as you'll get.

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Hey guys. i started a diorama!!! (more like a big base, but it's the closest i've ever been anyways).
    i have actually started a proper diorama aswell, using the freebie High elf parts and so on, but it's still in the idea stage. i mean, it's more in the material gathering stage, actually. and i'll be starting that aswell in not too long (: so, here's the bigger base/diorama dude.

so i was thinking a dark scene, with a moonlit sky outside the window. the whole piece will be an exercise of lighting, as the window will be the main source of light, and the light will furthermore be very pale. i was also thinking a wall muriel on the white wall, but i don't have a motif yet.

the things i'm not sure about yet are which pose to choose, so i'd like feedback on which one you like the best. 1 or 2. Pose 1 allows for more light to hit the black-guard's face and will make the painting prospect rather a lot easier, while pose 2 makes for a better wholeness, i think and doesn't block the muriel too much.

the other thing i'm not sure about is what colour scheme to go for on the dude. all feedback is greatly appreciated (:

also started recently is a Tomb Kings Warrior. not done with him/her, and i still don't have a motif for the freehand design that's gonna go on his/her (how do you know?) shield.

i think my NMM is coming along rather nicely, though it's not done in this picture (:

some weeks back i decided to make a jump for the bandwagon and buy me a Sanguinor (every time i say his name, i want to shout it out in the bassiest voice i can muster, and therefore i will henceforth write his name in capital letters, like this: *Initiate Bass Voice* The SANGUINOR!!!) it took me all up until now to dare to do it, and i'm only saying, i aint doin 'im fer the looks, it's fer the practice! i just thought that, what better piece to better my NMM?

i think the wings are going to build up to a Red-ish Purple.

and though the angle isn't wuite right for it to be seen, i think the NMM on the jump pack went quite nicely (:

*Initiate Bass Voice* The SANGUINOR!!! himself, however, i am not too pleased with. there was a lot that i didn't quite get. he's not done yet though, of course. i'm dreading the sword!

lemme no wat'cha thinks (x

just a small update from yesterday (:
    added sand and basecoated the whole shazamm, except the dude himself. i'm saving him for later, without actually knowing why o.0 i also found a motif for my mural (also learnt how to actually spell it) and overall, i think this is coming along nicely (: one thing that i have had to rethink is the window. i was originally thinking of having some printed moonlit skies outside, but it's gonna be way too dark. so i decided to put in some kinda window pane and paint it as if the moon was shining through it.

yes, the mural depicts a buddhist woman sitting on the back of a giant duck. i mean, i was this motif on the web and i just couldn't resist! how could i?! it's a friggin huge duck!!! furthermore, it's gonna be a golden giant duck!!!

I like that diorama, dark atmosphere, gonna look cool.

Hi Lyuun, plenty of stuff going on here, nice one!

The diorama. What have you used for the floor? I'm guessing some kind of packaging but can't place it. The window that you've used is telling me that we're outdoors, but we're not are we? Mounting on the other side of the wall & putting a sill inside would look nice. It'd also provide some framing to paint the moonlight effect onto to better sell it. Table legs are nice, did you do them yourself?
    A woman on a duck sounds good to me. Are you going to paint it in as you would a banner? I only ask because it occurred that a mosaic might be fun? Or in relief? Take care with your colour brightness so that the Elf doesn't get lost!
    What's the story? Is this guy guarding an Emerald Skull of huge magicky power? Is he a noble striking a pose for a portrait? Is there going to be a light source in the room, or at least an indication of an "off-camera" one? Lamp/lantern/torch/fireplace? Edge of mantelpiece poking into frame with another ornament? More bent wire for wallmount candlestick holders? If it's only the moonlight coming through the window then don't mount him with his back to it! No curtains so it's not a particularly luxurious place, or are you going to overpaint the sand quite thickly to get a carpet effect, the patterned area being a rug? Keep asking the questions & form your story for the scene around them. Then tweak the scenery to suit. You may even end up digging a different mini out of the pile to use instead as your ideas cohere. At the moment I'm not 100% sold on the scene, convince me! Though I shall be watching with interest regardless

Egyptian Skeleton. Sword is coming on well Don't forget to drop to black as well as push up to white. Scarab for the shield? Or check out some hieroglyphs & paint one up in an illuminated stylee. Effective reds too. What's going to go on the front of the base?

THE SANGUINOR. Looks as though you've worked out where you want the light effects to land, just needs some neatening up now. Try to keep in mind the old dictum "brighter/lighter toward the top of the model". There's a lot of white below his belt. Just knocking back some of the whiter areas on open surfaces & adding some on top edges would help, I think! I say that without refering to Mr. Latham's tute in WD for commparison which I guess you're using?

I'll leave that to soak in while I go & harras some other poor sod's thread

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Hi Lyuun

Sorry, did I stun you with that wall of text?

Have you come around yet?

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Blog Entries

I love stan the man, great job and voted for fella!!

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

More progress pics of the diorama please.

allright, i really am very sorry that i disappeared, but now i really am back. summer-holiday arrived and i got a girlfriend (honestly!), and then i went to italy and then japan (i'm really not making this up) and when i was there i made sour-cream porridge for seventy eleven-year-olds (not kidding. i have pictures). and when i came back i had a sh*tload of catching up to do at school, and then there was big baluba-drama with the girlfriend and a common friend of ours, and then there was even more school and then there was christmas, new-years eve and even more baluba with the girlfriend (damn they gum up the works) and then birthday and then i broke up with the girfriend (we're still... good friends... though... if you know what i mean *winks*). and then i am now.

haha, okay. i didn't quit painting, though, i just didn't write or take pictures. i believe, however, that i have done rather a good deal of progress on many areas.

now, as for answers: no, B, i am quite undauntable, in ways of feedback. however, during the course of the last... i don't know how long it's been since last post, i have put the diorama on the shelf. i don't know when or even if i'll pick it back up, but i really don't like the looks of that project right now. thus, i put it in my "dark-drawer". nothing crawls back outta there unless i summon it through dark magic. and since you asked: for the floor i used something i found in a garage-sale. it looked like some kind of tray, and the underside of it had that kind of texture and it just struck me as something i could really use. additionally, it only cost 4 crowns, which is something like half a dollar, or something...

not much progress on THE SANGUINOR either, i'm afraid. the wings are done, but that's about it. i even took him off the base and put him back onto a normal sized one...

On a more constructive note, i have some big-ish projects "running": i have a small diorama and a huge diorama. the small diorama i have almost finished the figures for and the base was finished, until i scrapped it yesterday, and am starting over now. the huge diorama i haven't actually started. i'm preparing it. making a base, obtaining materials and inspiration, etc.

the small diorama is a forest one. a duel between an ogre leadbelcher (the kind with a canon under their arm) and a wood elf waywatcher.
    Name:  Stan mk III  040 (1).jpg
Views: 129
Size:  72.7 KBName:  Stan mk III  037 (1).jpg
Views: 127
Size:  91.0 KBName:  Stan mk III  036 (1).jpg
Views: 127
Size:  84.2 KBName:  Stan mk III  041 (1).jpg
Views: 126
Size:  75.4 KB

the huge one is one without any figures on. it's a steampunk setting. some kind of abandoned mine. it will have electrical lights, as well. the reason i haven't started this one yet is that i need the snow to melt so that i can steal some stone from this building in my town. it has the right kind of paving outside, and i intend to carelessly trip on the loose end of one of the stones and pick it up. i know, it sounds weird, but i think it'll be alright.

also i'm doing some commission work. for... my sister... well, she wanted a dragon, and i'm giving it to her!
    Name:  Stan mk III  039 (1).jpg
Views: 132
Size:  131.7 KB

Also, i'm doing some kind of space marine thingy. it's not going to follow an existing chapter, though the most similar will be blood angels.
    Name:  Stan mk III  035 (1).jpg
Views: 130
Size:  135.7 KB

and that's about it for now. i will update soon. i really mean that. i'll update tomorrow, even! (i got something else to show you as well, but i need to redo some shooting i thought was good enough)

Default Stan the man

Hell yeah! i am finally fully satisfied with this guy. this is the third remake i've done on him, and this time, i think i got it as right as i can at the moment. photography also, i believe went rather smoothely. so, i'll upload it for voting. i know the photography could be better, and so could the paint. but at the moment, i believe this represents my skill.

here's the voting link: http://www.coolminiornot.com/272427
    Name:  Stan_the_Man.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  967.5 KB

And then there's the other guy. it's nothing special, i just had fun with the gnoblar left over from when i redid Stan.

heres a link: http://www.coolminiornot.com/272428
    Name:  The Knower of Ways.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  992.6 KB

and that's what i have for now. i'm going to paint some on the space marine today. probably get the joints, hands and head done today. i'll take pictures once it's done (:

nice to see youre back Lyuun, so you have been busy it seems
    some really good work here. stan v2 looks very nice and the ogre's trousers are brilliant!
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

that ogre is awesome. really great work.

Tee
    “We do not want to be part of the fashionable crowd. We prefer to be on the edge.”
    Takasi Uno

Okay, so i haven't been able to upload pictures yet. and the voting is rather lower than i had hoped for. but that's probably because of the quality of the photo. i'll improve that next time. i have done the joints and started on the metal, fists and helmet on the space marine dude. hopefully i'll get him done over the next week or so. i hope...

thing is, i'm a bit bummed these days. while yes, i probably will be buying a new bass guitar which is an absolutely fantastic one that i've been looking for for several years, is in mint condition and at a low price, the price is still so high that i'm going to have to sell one of my other basses. megan, to be exact: http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/tilsa...nkode=27055716 (yes, her name is megan) true love for sale...
    http://global.ebay.com/Gorgeous92_RI...596321088/item this is the bass i'll hopefully be buying. i'll actually be going to england to pick it up myself next weekend, if things work out as they ought.
    damn, i have so many good memories with megan... i remember me and my dad walking into the music-store on a sunny day to negotiate a price for this bass, and getting almost 20% off. i remember the music-store calling me while i was in school to tell me the bass had arrived, and i cycled straight to town because i was so excited, but then had to cycle home without the bass, because i forgot that the bass was too big for me to fit onto my cycle, and return later with my grandma to pick it up. i remember standing in the rain with her, waiting for the bus. i remember so many bad gigs. i learned to play jazz on her. i first tried to play jaco on her. in fact, that's her in my profile pic, even. i've known her for three years, and now i'm selling her... God that's depressing...

The new bass is a dream, though...

Hi Lyuun, definately your best Stan so far, good work I bet there aren't many Gnoblars who get a base that fancy, nice work on a very flat looking mini, you've done well to bring some life to him!

I know bugger all about guitars but Megan looks very nice indeed, I hope you get a good price for her

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Thanks, Skelly, Tee and Bpi(((:

haven't been able to paint alot lately. been busy struggling with bass related business. oh! i remembered something, i got a job! i'm a teacher! i teach bass guitar((: is that awesome, or wut?!