Use/Value in Old GW Books?

Thread: Use/Value in Old GW Books?

Default Use/Value in Old GW Books?

I inherited a bunch of game stuff from a local gamer. Most of it's already gone to interested parties, but I'm going through what our locals didn't want and trying to decide what to do with it. I'm leaving the giant mound of minis for another day as it's a bit daunting to tackle. Right now I'm trying to figure out if any of the books he had would be worth trying to sell/trade/give it to someone who will pay shipping or if I should just bring them to our local used bookstore, which will probably just put them in their freebie bins. So here's what I have.

Epic 40K Rule Book x 2, 1997
    Epic 40K Armies Book, 1997
    Epic 40K Battles Book, 1997

Warhammer 40,000 hardcover rule book 1987 (not in greatest shape)

B&W Ork and Squat Warlords x 2, 1990
    B&W Armies of the Imperium, 1991
    B&W Renegades x 2, 1992
    B&W Space Marine x 3, 1991

Titan Legions Rule Book, 1994
    Titan Legions Codex Titanicus, 1994
    Codex Space Wolves, 2000
    Code Orks, 1999
    Codex Armageddon, 2000
    Codex Tyranids, 2001
    Codex Chaos Space Marines, 1999
    Codex Space Marines, 1998

Old books tend to be not very valuable except for nostalgia value to those of us that like them. I'm no expert but have some experience buying up all of the old stuff that I sold or chucked years ago. It's mostly not as good as I remember it but nice to have anyway for the afforementioned nostalgia. Price varies depending on chance so anyone willing to wait can get the whole collection, in nice condition, for not very much cash at all, bit by bit.

Having said that I'd be interested in the 1994 Titan legions books :P

It's sad to say but check eBay.
    That seems to be the price guide for things nowadays.
    Spanish Balloons? Mongo like spanish balloons!

Yup. Priced a bunch of old comic books from my father via eBay. Had to let him down gently. He was all excited about the issue that the comic guide said was worth $30... until I showed him it wasn't even selling for $3.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

It seem that the only way you will get anywhere near the Overstreet Guide value is to have it graded.
    Costs about $25-$30 per comic to grade.
    See what the graded value of your dad comic would be and take it from there. I've seen comics jump from $25 ungraded to $200 graded, Mind you we are talking
    9.8 - 10.
    Spanish Balloons? Mongo like spanish balloons!

Too late as they've all been churned through eBay already. If they'd been graded, most would have been in the 9.0-9.5 range. Plus, it would have cost more to grade them than the value of the entire collection.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz is for losers View Post
    Old books tend to be not very valuable except for nostalgia value to those of us that like them.
    Agree with Jazz, I buy up older GW books for nostalgia, but I also like them as reference material. You'd be surprised at the cool drawings and photos of miniatures that you find in some of these books. Especially helpful when you want to do a retro look on a mini.

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback. I wasn't under any delusion that these might be a secret treasure trove! I was more trying to figure out how much of my time was it worth to post/Ebay/whatever to get these into the hands of people who might appreciate them. It sounds like there are few enough people who'd be interested that it isn't worth much effort on my part, so off to the used bookstore (and mostly likely the bin) they go.

Jazz - if you're willing to pay shipping and a couple of dollars on top for an envelope and my trouble, I'll be happy to put the Titan books aside for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Jazz - if you're willing to pay shipping and a couple of dollars on top for an envelope and my trouble, I'll be happy to put the Titan books aside for you.
    Wren, I'd be happy to take the Codex Armageddon and Codex Chaos Space Marines off your hands for the same deal

I've set those two aside for you GTherk. PM me your address, and I'll let you know my paypal.

If anyone else wants in on any of these, let me know by tomorrow morning. Our local Hobby Town is having a gamer swap meet, so I think I'll be bringing these over there.

Hi Wren,

I sent you my address through private message. Whenever you get a chance, shot me your paypal information. Thanks.