Lasercut styrene buildings
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lasercut styrene buildings

Default Lasercut styrene buildings

I've taken the plunge into Lasercutting components to make building kits to complement the Twilight Fantasy Miniatures game sold by Hasslefree Miniatures

This is my first complete effort, designed in CAD, laser cut, assembled, and painted. The idea is to make a small range of highly convertible modular self build kits which are much cheaper than the equivalent resin and more detailed and paint-able than paper terrain, and much more robust than both. The costs are kept down by using common household items where possible just as you would if you were scratch building, but without all that tedious measuring, scoring and cutting!

Although not yet for sale, I hope to have these available in the next month. However I will have painted and unpainted samples available to view on the Twilight Stand @ Salute 2010 (stand TB29 - top left corner of trader map). If you are there come over and say hi!

This tower is for the Fubarnii Empire, a race for whom architecture is cylindrical, chaotic and consists of random additions to existing structures resulting in an almost organic growth of buildings. The concept art i was provided includes these two images.

You'll find many more pictures of the design assembly and painting on my blog, as well as concept sketches of new ideas of models in the range, such as

I'm open to any and all comments, and suggestions, not only on the painting but also on the kit design, suggestions for new modular elements etc etc.

I hope you enjoy!
    Last edited by Brandlin; 04-21-2010 at 02:28 PM.

It looks fantastic! Hoping you branch out into Sci-Fi or modern....

That's an absolute fantastic idea. Got the wheels turning, you do!
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Splendid idea. Seems like a clever optional format to buildings.

Amazing idea.

brandlin that looks fecking brilliant. i'm with vikey, i want sci fi too!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Thank you Supervike, PegaZus, Wyrmypops, cheelfy and freakinacage for your positive comments - nice to hear.

I did start out with this idea for sci-fi, though not buildings initially. Have a look at the mobile landing pad I designed on an Old Crow vehicle chassis to give some mobile air support capability to my HassleFreee Grymn army.

I then got side tacked into this Twilight game by the designer Mike Thorpe. I mean, who wouldn't like this...

Certainly a (re)venture into sci-fi may well be on the cards in the future but i want to see how these initial kits are received at salute and then to do half a dozen different modular building kits so there is some flexibility in the twilight building range.

If i do sci-fi though I am refusing to do Gothic Eagle and Skullz encrusted nonsense though!

By all means if you like what you see then come and join my blog followers and leave comments and let me know what you'd like to see.

Wow, I might even be persuaded into buying a tube of chemically dusted reformed potato sweepings for one of these! What are we looking at price wise? I can feel another Hasslefree order looming & I haven't even painted any of the minis yet from the last batch :blush:

Cheers B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

i can;t wait till the weekend!!

That is a really awesome idea and the kit is superb, I don't think it would quite fit in with my 40k/Necromunda board lol. As people have already mentioned I'd love to see some sci fi stuff. Perhaps some sort of walkways or sci fi building for Necromunda, I played my first game in store and really like uisng their terrain instead of the cardboard stuff out of the box. Shame it would cost me about £300 to buy my own!

I've started making (or intedning to make) walkways and buildings that will slot into the Necro bulkheads, it's just proving a nightmare trying to cut different sheets of plasticard to the exact same size

Wish I had a couple of grand to buy a laser cutting machine,lol

Quote Originally Posted by Brandlin View Post
    Certainly a (re)venture into sci-fi may well be on the cards in the future but i want to see how these initial kits are received at salute and then to do half a dozen different modular building kits so there is some flexibility in the twilight building range.

If i do sci-fi though I am refusing to do Gothic Eagle and Skullz encrusted nonsense though!

By all means if you like what you see then come and join my blog followers and leave comments and let me know what you'd like to see.
    I thought I was a follower....but I def. am now!

And thank you, we've got enough 'skull and eagle' encrusted nonsense.

I'd be much more interested in generic (non gothic) sci fi. Clean lines, similar to the look Antenociti has achieved. But, also with a bit of Sci-Fi grunge (ie Aliens, Firefly) look to it.

I hope your Salute venture goes well.

Response at Salute 2010 was very good (either that or people were humouring me?) so I am going ahead with getting the tower kit into production.

I also had lots of requests for generic building components - for example a lot of people liked how i had done the shingles on the tower roof.

More news and updates on my blog as they happen

good to talk to you at salute, can't wait to see more!

I thought I might mention that something like this would also make a nice "dice tower"... for those that use such things.

something like this would also make a nice "dice tower"
    Thanks No Such Agency. That was mentioned to me at Salute but i was a bit dismissive, you and a couple of others have said it again so perhaps i should take it more seriously? I also thought of making a periscope for spotting Line of Sight.

If the initial models sell well then I may add conversion kits for both types - afterall they both need a sloped 45 degree base and an open top, maybe with a hinged roof or one held on by magnets?

Also suggested at Salute 2010 was the idea of just laser cut shingles for making your own buildings far quicker and more robust than cardboard. So i knocked these up quickly.

good to talk to you at salute, can't wait to see more!
    Thanks freakinacage - you too.! Was great to have so much positive support!
    Last edited by Brandlin; 04-27-2010 at 11:22 AM.

This looked great at Salute - best of luck!
    Win a copy of WAB 2 in the Irregular Magazine painting competition. Click for more info
    Issue 6 / Autumn '10 out now, includes interview with Nick Kyme and a tutorial from Mr Scream!

I have to say this looks spectacular, and I am more or less pondering how and where I should fit this into the other terrain stuff.
    A question for the brain-less over here, though. 'Dice tower'? Is what?

Here's a dice tower

Cool, and quite good if you're playing on a small table.

Thank You boristfrog - did i speak to you? so hard to remember all the faces.

Thank You DannyBoy2k - i hope over the coming few weeks and months to offer a small range of modular buildings in a similar style so they complement each other.

Hmm. Might be problematic if you play a horde-army, though. Rolling 20 'nids in assault...say 60-80 dice.
    Still, an interesting thing that I hadn't seen before, and something that I might make for myself.

As for the towers, I'll be looking. Question, though, will they be 'only'(no so damn only!) fantasy? Or will there be 40k-style too?
    And, I suddenly got an image of Sharn, from D&D Eberron. Called the City of Towers.
    The first setting I've ever come across that has city districts/wards in 3D. And thus it has lots of bridges and the like.