Left Warhammer World With BAD taste in mouth !!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Left Warhammer World With BAD taste in mouth !!!

Default Left Warhammer World With BAD taste in mouth !!!

Hi Guys,

Just wondered what your thoughts are on the No Holds Barred approach of the staff at GW in regards of sales?

I drove for 3 hours the other day to visit Warhammer world for the first time, loved the miniature hall, i don't play the games so other than the miniature hall there's not much there. Went into the shop there and I hadn't even stepped over the shop floor line and a guy was stuck to my side. He did ask the usual questions (what did I collect etc). but the guy had NO interest in what i was saying.. I told him i just painted the mini's so he asked what was my next project. I had two models in mind and that was it.. the pressure started.. I was looking at the models to which he started to say things like "So which one you getting?" doesn't sound like much but it was the desperation of it.. He said a few things like "if it was me i would get"... and picked the one double the price than the other. This guy made me and my girl friend feel REALLY un-comfortable. He wouldn't leave our side. We had no freedom to look at the models on display as he just followed us everywhere. I told the guy numerous times that I wanted to have a look around before i made up my mind but he STILL stuck to us. Any time I said I like a model he would say "we've got that over there.. Do you want it?".

In total after a 3hr drive we left after an hour because in the end i just bought the model i wanted and left.

Well sorry its so long but had to get it off my chest because it was P***ing off.

Any body else had this?

Hi Mabnkat, sorry to hear it was a spoilt visit. I've experienced the staff unable to get the message before (in store not WH World) but am usually such a vile git to be around they back off before too long Take it as a compliment & assume he just fancied your lass & wanted to linger!

On the bright side, how was the Miniatures Hall? I'm hoping to convince a couple of mates into a split-petrol day out in Nottingham & it would be the main purpose of the visit (beer in the pub in the cliff being number 2). I've only seen the pictures in WD which I assume make it look bigger than it really is? I'm particularly interested in seeing some of the bigger diaramas from the early 'Eavy Metal days, are there any there? If it's just a showcase for recent releases I'll be very disappointed!

Cheers, B.
    Last edited by BPI; 04-30-2010 at 04:05 PM.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Quote Originally Posted by mabnkat View Post
    Hi Guys,

Just wondered what your thoughts are on the No Holds Barred approach of the staff at GW in regards of sales?

I drove for 3 hours the other day to visit Warhammer world for the first time, loved the miniature hall, i don't play the games so other than the miniature hall there's not much there. Went into the shop there and I hadn't even stepped over the shop floor line and a guy was stuck to my side. He did ask the usual questions (what did I collect etc). but the guy had NO interest in what i was saying.. I told him i just painted the mini's so he asked what was my next project. I had two models in mind and that was it.. the pressure started.. I was looking at the models to which he started to say things like "So which one you getting?" doesn't sound like much but it was the desperation of it.. He said a few things like "if it was me i would get"... and picked the one double the price than the other. This guy made me and my girl friend feel REALLY un-comfortable. He wouldn't leave our side. We had no freedom to look at the models on display as he just followed us everywhere. I told the guy numerous times that I wanted to have a look around before i made up my mind but he STILL stuck to us. Any time I said I like a model he would say "we've got that over there.. Do you want it?".

In total after a 3hr drive we left after an hour because in the end i just bought the model i wanted and left.

Well sorry its so long but had to get it off my chest because it was P***ing off.

Any body else had this?
    if you are in this situation again dont hold back some people dont get the message until you are blunt to the point of rudeness, thats their problem, sounds to me like you were too nice and in the end went away feeling like poop, believe me you'd feel a lot better saying whats on your mind. i havent really had this problem myself i think its a lot to do with body language and tone of voice if the usual "no thanks im just browsing" does'nt work, then get firm. go back and if he comes near you again let rip, with interest. might make ya feel better.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Blog Entries

Directions for dealing with over zealous GW staff:

1. Straighten hand.
    2. Bring your hand diagonaly across your chest so your hand is residing behind your ear.
    3. Stare at the person in question with subdued malice, a look of disgust is also not out of the question.
    4. Hesitate a moment for effect.
    5. Release hand in a mighty backswing.
    6. Feel better about the whole experience, take a moment to enjoy the soothing warmth in the back of your hand.

LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

With GW employees I've gotten some pressure before. Usually I'll just go to a privately owned store and purchase through them, but on the occasions where I do deal with GW employees directly I have a helpful suggestion.

Say a variant of the following:
    1) If you don't leave us alone I won't buy anything. Go away.
    2) If your opinion mattered to me I'd have asked for it. You're not my friend, your credentials are suspect, and you're irritating me. Go away.
    3) If you speak to me again, I'll need to see your manager. Go away.
    4) Do uh...Do you swing? I'm going out for a drink later and I'd LOVE for you to join me. (assuming you're of the gender the employee is NOT interested in)
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

Left Warhammer World With BAD taste in mouth !!!

Breath mint after swallowing.

Usually I'll just go to a privately owned store and purchase through them

I loved my LFG that I worked at for the same reasons like this, more laid back approach but good customer service nether the less.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mabnkat View Post
    ...This guy made me and my girl friend feel REALLY un-comfortable. He wouldn't leave our side. We had no freedom to look at the models on display as he just followed us everywhere. I told the guy numerous times that I wanted to have a look around before i made up my mind but he STILL stuck to us. Any time I said I like a model he would say "we've got that over there.. Do you want it?"...
    There's your problem, you brought a female into a GW store.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

GW staff aren't the only ones who do this .... 'I'm very blunt in a nice way and if that doesn't work look off in the distance and say the "voices in your head" are whispering "kill"
    " So remember that, when they're beating your ass with a metal shovel while you're dressed as Little Bo Peep - it's not deviant...it's art.

Definitely sounds like a visit to a GW store. Does not matter how long they know that you have been in the hobby, they sell to you as if it you have never heard of table top games before.

GW employees can really get on your balls easily. They just spam you with rubbish as if you're an 8-year-old kid and just started to play a random army and they start to explain you the very basics, even if you don't even play or want to and you're just interested in painting, 10-times better than them in that and know more about their company than they do.
    Be gentle and tell him something like: "Wait! Thank you, but I know that and I would like to check out things a bit on my own, I let you know when I found something.". That quite always does the job for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BPI View Post
    Hi Mabnkat, sorry to hear it was a spoilt visit. I've experienced the staff unable to get the message before (in store not WH World) but am usually such a vile git to be around they back off before too long Take it as a compliment & assume he just fancied your lass & wanted to linger!

On the bright side, how was the Miniatures Hall? I'm hoping to convince a couple of mates into a split-petrol day out in Nottingham & it would be the main purpose of the visit (beer in the pub in the cliff being number 2). I've only seen the pictures in WD which I assume make it look bigger than it really is? I'm particularly interested in seeing some of the bigger diaramas from the early 'Eavy Metal days, are there any there? If it's just a showcase for recent releases I'll be very disappointed!

Cheers, B.

Hi mate thanks for the reply. Yeah there are a few of the old models but no more than what's at GD. A lot of the models where gone, replaced with a little sign saying they were getting their pics taken lol. The models that were there were dusty as hell though. And yeah it ain't very big at all.
    There were a couple of old dioramas from the 90's but only 4-5 can't remember sorry. It was all stuff from white drawf none of the 'eavy metal guys own stuff.

The life size lurtz was cool though !

I work a lot of retail sales. I actually love it, and I am very good at it. It is a VERY fine art between being helpful, suggestive, and doing your job to keep both the store and the customer happy. My problem with ALL sort of retail chains and such is they sort of teach one "canned" approach to selling. It is not that simple. I've given a small amount of training seminars to some tradesmen and such and the one thing I try to hammer home is do NOT fall back on some sort of gimmicky rehearsed schtick. But some are just not cut out for it.

Bad break. Hope you at leats got some good pictures from the day!

As has been said before being polite just doesnt cut it these days. There is no point in having YOUR day fucked up because some prick cant get the message. You dont (usually) have to swear at them but DO be firm. Say go away I dont want your help, your opinion or your company. If by some small chance I need an actual question answered I will find you and ask you. That will not however mean that Iwill then want your help opinion or company beyond answering the question I ask.

It's probably inexperienced staff. They should be able to get a handle on how much contact a punter would be responsive to from an initial greeting, and ideally an open question where a yes/no isn't the obvious option. If the answers are clipped, body language involving a pointed lack of eye contact and turning of ones back then they should be able to take the hint that further contact would be seen as pestering.

All the above being equal Warhammer World should be the flagship store and staff SHOULD be equal to the task of being ambassadors to the hobby.
    However GW's sales driven mentality is drummed into them so much it's becoming more than irritating, it's now bordering on being rude.

As to the display room, yes it is a good concept and the cabinets are well laid out and lit. BUT for pitys sake spend a little time keeping them dust free!
    I though it bad last year, but it sounds as if a dusting still hasn't taken place.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

clansizemore

Being an american....I'd pull a gun on him. This may be why Warhammer World is England (LOL).

I used to run a HC, so that's how their trained. But if (very rarely) I happen into a GW shop and the redshirt starts making his way towards me; I hold up a finger and say: "Take your ten keys to customer service and go away or I'm not buying anything." Works every time.

i would stutter and spit when talking. he'd soon back off
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Well, I'm now a bit underwhelmed at the prospect of trekking south to go & look at some half full cabinets of dusty miniatures! I shall keep my eyes peeled for a report mentioning a refresh before I make the effort methinks. Ta for feedback Mabnkat & DR

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...