Shopping for a digital camera! NEED HELP

Thread: Shopping for a digital camera! NEED HELP

Default Shopping for a digital camera! NEED HELP

So the time came for me to take pictures of my freshly painted Acolytes for me an some friends Dark Heresy campaign with their pig iron heads, and couldn\'t find my camera. It was old, about 4 years old, and dying anyways, so i decided to get a new one! I was wondering what suggestions people had for a decent digital camera around the 150-300 dollar range? Please and thank you!

For a simple litlle camer ide sugest any of the L or S seireis cameras here http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...era/index.page. Just make sure you research the cameras before actualy buying or chek the stiky post should be some stuff there.
    Him- "wouldn't it be easier if everyone nuked everyone"

Me-"Yea, but then there wouldn't be anyone to make a movie about it"

Any of the Canon Powershot range are usually pretty good. They have good lenses on them and take nice sharp pics. Whatever you buy just make sure you get the following features ... timer , macro and "flash off". Combine that with a tripod and you should get some nice sharp pics.

BTW I use an 8 year old Powershot A40 for most of my pics that I post on here and they work for me.
    What you leave behind is not what is written on your tombstone but what is written in the heart of others.

In that price range I'm partial for the SLR like cameras from Sony, and to a slightly lesser degree Panasonic. You should check out DpReview to get some of the best unbiased info I've been able to find.

Default If you can stretch the extra few bucks.....

Panny LX3:
    http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-.../dp/B001CCLBSA

or

Canon S90:
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...0651555&sr=1-1

They're just about the best compact cameras on the market at the moment - I'd take either one over those below even if I didn't have DSLRs but that's just me. The cams below have longer reach and are larger if that's what you're after. Still nice cameras...

Panasonic Lumix FZs are always worth a look:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...0652063&sr=1-1

Powershot SX20 IS also worth a butchers:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...0652220&sr=1-1
    Last edited by Spacemunkie; 08-01-2010 at 05:49 AM.

Newbie, please be gentle The Silent King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Canon PowerShot G11 versus PowerShot SX20IS

After doing some research into the vast world of cameras recently, the only consistent result I can conclude is "?". I have limited my options down to one of two cameras, one that is placed precisely in my (almost non-existent) college budget. The other is a little bit over the budget, but seems to be feature rich and appears to have more accessories available to it. I do not want to invest into irrelevant functions and features though, and only need a camera that can pick out the details of my minis.
    The two cameras are the PowerShot G11 and the PowerShot SX20IX. I'd appreciate any comparative input with these two cameras, and available (macro?) lenses. I originally designed this post as just a quick question with an easy answer, but as the research dragged on and on and all I got were more questions concerning these infernal devices... it is to the point that I really would like to understand the differences of each.
    So, if any one here has had field experience (or are just flat-out camera gurus) in one or both of these cameras and has a few minutes to discuss them and break their differences down for me, I would be indebted to you.
    Last edited by The Silent King; 11-22-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Silent King View Post
    The two cameras are the PowerShot G11 and the PowerShot SX20IX.
    Well looking at a couple of reviews I don't think that there is a lot between them as cameras, most photographers will be able to get good pictures out of either of them.
    But in the end its what you are gonna feel comfortable using.
    Personally I'd suggest talking to a dedicated Camera Store and trying the feel of each in your hands. Sometimes that is the best way to end up with the decision.
    Don't forget that despite any recommendation we might make on here, it is in the end your cash and you will have to live with the "clicky box" for a long time.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Hey I've got the same question. I need something better than a basic camera, but I don't want a professional one either. Someone recommended a bridge camera. Anyone have a specific brand or model they want to suggest?
    Last edited by starpickles; 12-07-2010 at 03:46 PM.

Newbie, please be gentle The Silent King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default PowerShot SX20IS

During the time gap of my last sent post in this thread to this one, I have been on a "clicky box" adventure (thanks for the new phrase Dragonsreach). I decided on the Canon PowerShot SX20IS model, the camera in particular that was slightly exceeding budget. This above resources dilemma was determined when I was allowed to do a few test shots on a relevant medium; I brought a mini in to see the highlights of this camera's abilities in where I - and it sounds like you too, starpickles - would need them most.
    This beastie of a platform handles all obstacles I can anticipate in the miniature media world, and descending from the Canon name it will be easy to find a repair or replacement of parts in event of a shortcoming. I will close this post with the only bit of text you need to read: the macros produced from this camera are all-too remarkable for the investment I put into it.
    Xbox LIVE gamertag: Echelon XII
    Blog