Tamiya Fine Surface Primer

Thread: Tamiya Fine Surface Primer

Default Tamiya Fine Surface Primer

Hi everyone, I've been painting for roughly 13-14years now and I've just come back to the hobby after around 3 years break. Earlier today I gave a pretty andrea figure a coat of GW white (warmed the can in a lil hot water and shaked it hard for 3mins >.>) and it felt like fine sand paper. So my hands are now burning from scrubbing it with mineral turpentine and I want to get an alternative spray.

So has anyone used Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (I think it comes out grey) and had good/bad results? I use tend to use a technique french painters call 'juicing' so I'm wondering if anyone's had problems with paint sticking to it etc.

I've heard Krylon flat white is quite good but I've also read it can come on a bit thick which could be bad for this model since its detail is very lightly etched.

If not any suggestions other then GW white? (I did a coat of GW black and it came out well so I still love this stuff)
    Last edited by KnightofOne; 05-11-2010 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightofOne View Post
    So has anyone used Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (I think it comes out grey) and had good/bad results?
    I use tend to use a technique french painters call 'juicing' so I'm wondering if anyone's had problems with paint sticking to it etc.
    Hi Jay;
    Yep I'm using it in preference to the GW stuff, and I'm very comfortable with the results of the Primer. It's sort of an "offwhite" colour, but not that grey.
    As for painting onto it I've had no problem whatsoever when using very thin paints.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightofOne
    So my hands are now burning from scrubbing it with mineral turpentine...
    Wear gloves! Doing this outdoors, or at least near an open window would be a good idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightofOne
    So has anyone used Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (I think it comes out grey) and had good/bad results?
    Search is your friend:
    What Brand of Primer?
    another model F*&ked...anyone recommend a good
    Tamiya Fine Surface Primer - How is it?

GW's black spraycans aren't primer BTW.

Einion

Thanks for the info there Dragonreach, it's given me confidence to go ahead and buy a can for a go with it.

I really gotta learn how to use the net more >.< quite a lot of my queries about the primers are answered there, thanks Einion
    I did wear cleaning gloves but the turps ate right through them :S

Cheers

I also use Tamiya grey primer and it works great...always gives me a perfect egg shell finish.

Sorry for reviving an incredibly old thread, but I just picked up a bottle of tamiya surface primer-G? and I intend to paint on the primer. I bought 2 3$ Bones miniatures to test it on, but even these cheap models I do happen to really like the molds. Is this an ok brush on primer? any tips?
    BLAH BLAH...blah.