Base Edges...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Base Edges...

Default Base Edges...

More often than not, the base edges are ignored. Mostly black (nowadays) of course, that beats the 'goblin green' that we saw for everything a while back (GW stuff)

What are your feelings on this? Aren't fantastic freehanders ignoring a opportunity to add a special dimension to their painting?

Any examples of it used effectively?

Just curious.

I prefer to see the minis with a hard edged base, Black seems to give a difinitive outline and for me works well, I am not keen on freehand on bases, I think it is basically a bit unnecessary, also that is usually the part most handled so any greasy finger prints of much handling is only going to spoil any work done there.

I'm in the "Black is Best League".
    Of course I do put my insignia and the date on the bases of my own stuff.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I go with either black or scorched brown.

Kep

I like the traditional black. I also like it when the ground work spills over the edge, breaking the hard line of the base.

I like plain black too; sets the mini off without drawing attention away from the important thing, the figure itself.

Einion

is usually the part most handled so any greasy finger prints of much handling is only going to spoil any work done there
    Completely agree with this. Its the part of the model, that is used for picking it up.

Depending on if its for 'gaming' or 'just looking at' is what makes me choose the color. Looking at, I would most likely go black. If its for gaming, I would match the edge to colors on the base.

I just cant see the edge of the base being a area that I would focus skills on. Yes its a nice and flat area to work with, yet its only really there to separate the model from the table.

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

black................
    " So remember that, when they're beating your ass with a metal shovel while you're dressed as Little Bo Peep - it's not deviant...it's art.

Good topic!

I paint mine to be the base color of the rest of the base. If I used scorched brown in order to make a dirt effect, then scorched brown on the sides. No detail work since I'm always grabbing at it. Because I put Warhammer Fantasy models in balsa trays that conceal those edges (mainly from the basing I did on the trays) it masks the lack of basing on the sides.

Black is also a classic choice that you really can't go wrong with.

Putting stuff like lichen or flock on those edges seems to be more of a pain than anything. All too often when people do that and play I find little pieces scattered along the battlefield.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

I prefer black.

If you go back to around 2003/2004 ther were several painters who put designs onto the bases, I think these have been rackham mini's though and I can't remember names.
    "Just goes to show - arseholes leave a bigger impression on our lives then nice people" - by Markus Tay

Wales is not part of England Welshmen Born and Bred

Brushlicker and proud of it. Its the only way to paint

Plain something for me. Mostly black but occasionally another colour can complement the mini
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

VMC Black Brown!

Well, blah.

For such a creative group, you all sure are a boring lot....

It seems to be the undiscovered country in mini painting.

I was considering panting squad colors/markings on mine. When dealing with the Green Tide, it's helpful to know who belongs to what squad for those unit rules (unit cohesion, Mob Rule, etc.). Nothing too fancy, mind you, just enough to know "that unit has taken a beating, but this one is still going strong."

I could also not run 90 Orks in a single (technically 3 squads, but moving and whatnot as single) mass up the middle of the board, but that wouldn't terrify the opponent as much.

I can see where the base edge could be equated to the frame or maybe the matteing of a piece of 2-d artwork.

Framing is usually pretty basic, with solid colors, but I've seen instances where the frame itself becomes part of the work. Like I say, I'm just surprised that it's not an area that people are willing to be creative on.

On a few of my miniatures, I've tried to employ it. However, I'm a hackneyed painter and have hackneyed subject matters...regardless I still liked the effect.

Here it is on some of my zombie stuff:

Can anyone point me to some other examples??

Apart from recently stepping back into the painting zone, all I'd done for years has been the occasional Necromunda gang. For them I'd either got with a black rim, or paint the rim in a dirty grey-brown similar to what's on the base, following the same kind of relationship to the table as when I did it all goblin green for GW stuff.
    Would go for a bold black rim for displays bases. Agreeing with the point they take the place of a 2D frame. Breaking that line with over-hanging grass, gravel, or ichor or some kind would be groovy.

I probably just do them black because a colour distracts from the mini itself, and I'm not talented/patient enough to do a design on them. I've painted the mini's name on the base edge a few times, and waaaaay back I tried a few "thematic" ideas (below).

Nowadays I usually just consider myself lucky if the mini itself gets painted :P
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by No Such Agency; 05-15-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Ah yes! That's it exactly NSA! Of course, I now recall the gobbo, but I don't remember seeing the Geico Spokesman....

However, that thematic design on the Goblin is fantastic. It completes the piece. I don't find it distracting at all, but rather an enhancement.

I'd love to see more of this...

Well Vike what I like about a dark or "blank" base edge is that it provides a sort of picture frame for the mini. I like it. From a gaming perspective I always like a dark neutral base because it seperated the mini from the gaming table. It looked less abroubt and odd ( to me) to see a mini on a desert base with a black (or whatever) edged base on a grassy tabletop than to see a competely painted up base on the saem table. I bet if you dropped your zombie mini's on a city themed table they'd look bad ass, but plopped on a grassy table they'd stick out a little more. A black edged base to me would look more appropriate on either.

But that's me!

As with most things it's a very personal thing, and to me reflects on the intent of the mini.
    A Display piece to me has to be Black edges. That gives it a closing definition and a segragation from the 'artistic endeavour' to the mundane framing.
    Having said that both NSA and Supervikes pieces above show exceptions to that rule. Really like the Continued theme of Vikey's stuff and the rivets on NSA's Greenskin just works.

A gaming piece I prefer to see in black edges, rather than a coloured edge, which to me relegates the models to the perception of toys.
    GW's shop trend to have all the base edges for LOTR examples just cheapens an already 'Meh!' product.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.