Miniature mistakes: A tale of Regret. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Miniature mistakes: A tale of Regret.

Yeah, I got an Imperial Guard army including about 8 tanks. They are being sold on ebay as I'll never in a million years do them up and haven't played in possibly over a decade :O
    Same goes with Bretonians and some Legion of the Damned Space Marines. Still I don't really regret it as if I hadn't started playing the game, I'd never have started painting and never therefore found this site!

Quote Originally Posted by airhead View Post
    Gotcha. Very cool. Lighting the dynamite with a cigar is a nice touch.

B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BPI View Post
    Gotcha. Very cool. Lighting the dynamite with a cigar is a nice touch.

B.
    That's what reminds him of Lloyd =P

Blog Entries

A very common problem amongst us all I think, myself included, the size of my box is immense. At least though, its a relatively harmless hobby - it ain't gonna give you lung cancer or cause liver failure! Unless you are a brush licking Humbrol user of course.

dfb
    Last edited by dogfacedboy uk1; 05-30-2010 at 01:22 PM.

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Red face

And this is why we have the periodical Miniature Exchange project here at CMON -> ->

Suffice to say, I've got plenty Most noteworthy two armies of confrontation for use in the hybrid boardgame.

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post

I have to admit, they aren't without charm to me....but did I need 40 of them??????
    should have gone for the 15mm versions, 40 would have been much cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by airhead View Post

Somehow, they remind me of Lloyd....
    i don't know what you mean(!)

i wouldn't say they are a big regret but i didn't realise the tidy up work involved when i bought a load of gamezone minis
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

I am still debating if it was a mistake or not. But I had a lot of Grey Knights. So I bought two land raiders and a dreadnought to play when we went home in February. The local gaming store in our town pretty much cut out all miniature gaming. They only played Magic the Gathering and sold comics.

I bought the GW 54mm Inquisitor models, well the female ones at least. No books or anything just the boxes/blisters.
    Got a ton of models in plastic/metal many inherited from my kids. Most will get painted, sometime. Trouble is I keep buying nice looking, unrelated, minis and forget about painting my armies.

Everything is so true... We buy on the looks, it being new and shiny almost anything , collecting mountains of miniatures to paint. To me its part of the hobby. I then found out that if you paint your last miniature and there is nothing more for you to paint... You DIE! Which means that I should live somewhere into the 2200's. That also means that there are none that regret purchasing =o)

My entire mini collection is the result of bad impulse buys. I say to myself, "Wow that mini is awesome! I am going to buy it and paint it as soon as it comes in the mail!" Then the mini comes in the mail and it sits in a box in the basement with occasional visits... but I do plan on painting all of the minis I have! My main problem is that all the minis I love I do not want to paint until my skills get better. The paradox lies in that we buy minis we like because when we paint minis we like our best effort is put into its completion thereby improving our painting abilities. However the thought of messing up the minis I love so much as a result of a poor paint job hinders me from actually painting the minis :-/

I agree with MRickwood about longevity by miniature purchase. I have forbid myself from dying until all the minis I have are painted. I will be around for a very long time

I was just putting together an army of beastmen/mortals when GW decided I couldnt have them in the same army.... now i have an almost completely unassambled chaos battalion and too many beastmen sprues to count.

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

the one with the most minis "wins"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so that is my goal
    " So remember that, when they're beating your ass with a metal shovel while you're dressed as Little Bo Peep - it's not deviant...it's art.

Not really regret but I asked myself ...why?
    1/8 SCALE MOTHER

Warning: Nudity
    Atleast, I have the memory of my mom seeing it for the first time, She looking at me, at the figure, at me, at the figure pointed her finger at the figure and gave it a poke to the boobs. Smiled, shook head and walked away....ah memories.
    Spanish Balloons? Mongo like spanish balloons!

Quote Originally Posted by Aliengod3 View Post
    My main problem is that all the minis I love I do not want to paint until my skills get better. The paradox lies in that we buy minis we like because when we paint minis we like our best effort is put into its completion thereby improving our painting abilities. However the thought of messing up the minis I love so much as a result of a poor paint job hinders me from actually painting the minis
    So true!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aliengod3 View Post
    My main problem is that all the minis I love I do not want to paint until my skills get better. The paradox lies in that we buy minis we like because when we paint minis we like our best effort is put into its completion thereby improving our painting abilities. However the thought of messing up the minis I love so much as a result of a poor paint job hinders me from actually painting the minis
    If I worried about that I'd never paint anything, nothing I've done rates even a 6 here - but as I paint for my own enjoyment the scores are not important.

It's a bit disheartening to think that i will never be able to paint all the minis I have during my lifetime if I keep my current pace... not sure I'd even have time to paint the good buys!

I've only got about 20 unpainted minis Most of them I didn't buy too..

The only mini's I have regretted buying have all been GW minis which turned out to be mega dissapointments...

Quote Originally Posted by wiccanpony View Post
    the one with the most minis "wins"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so that is my goal

Wanna compare collections sizes?

I would have to say my biggest "why?" purchases are the rulebooks, new codices, etc that come out. My painting-to-gaming ratio is about 99.9%/0.1% meaning I get a game in every 9-10 months or so. I justify the purchases with "just in case I want to hop into a game." Aaaargh!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrescher View Post
    I would have to say my biggest "why?" purchases are the rulebooks, new codices, etc that come out. My painting-to-gaming ratio is about 99.9%/0.1% meaning I get a game in every 9-10 months or so. I justify the purchases with "just in case I want to hop into a game." Aaaargh!
    Wow, I can feel you on that one. It used to be that I'd buy the books for just the fluff at times. Now though, the prices don't justify the fluff. So unless I plan on playing that army I have to yell at myself not to buy the book.

Of all the miniatures though...I think I'm okay with all of my purchases. I've had time to think on it, and I've been eyeing those Chaos Possessed Marines, and a few others, and even though I'll never use them and may never feel they are my favorite pieces I'll still learn from them. My painting will improve (which frankly that's all it could do right now) and those mini's that I bought on impulse will probably help me with that.

Better to f&*% up on those than on a mini I actually care about.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat