JMD Orc Bust

Thread: JMD Orc Bust

Smile JMD Orc Bust

Hello everyone, I present to you my 2nd completed miniature. I actually painted this one twice cause I wasn't pleased with how it was turning out, but I finally just took my time and completed it. I don't get too much free time to sit down and paint so it's only a few hours and days throughout the week. I loved painting this one, and I feel like I improved from my last miniature that I painted. I really tried to pay attention to how I used color although it probably doesn't show up in the photos, I tried to use colors in all my shadows, to create a "richness" that I feel sometimes happens when using pure black. The biggest thing I believe I learned from painting this is just to have patience, and let the colors build naturally. Anyway I appreciate any comments anyone might have. Vote link..http://www.coolminiornot.com/252045

I also received a silver in the masterclass category this past weekend which I was really surprised about.

Last edited by dshavers; 06-05-2010 at 02:35 AM.

love the depth of the skin, it's bloody brilliant. i would add some more highlights on his tunic and maybe some more shade in between areas. ie skin-cloth, cloth-sheep

amazing if it's your second ever mini!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

totally dig this one, nice sincolour and an amazing job for 2nd mini!

Really cool job especially for a second mini. My only crit is that you maybe could have added some more colours in you shades.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I need to learn how to take better pictures, which seem to be just as hard as painting the mini itself. I've lost a lot of the subtle color shifts and a shadows that are in the original. I can't wait to start my next mini in a few weeks, and apply what I learned from painting this one.

Quote Originally Posted by dshavers View Post
    I also received a silver in the masterclass category this past weekend which I was really surprised about.
    I was surprised by your silver too, I felt this was worthy of a gold! Great job, a real pleasure to see something different in the Kubla Competition. Your use of color on this guy was top notch. The textures on the materials around the head could use a touch more depth, but really just a great piece of work.

Thanks!

pez
    WARNING: Painting all of your miniatures may lead to death.

"There comes a day in every man's life when he has to get off the couch... and kill some zombies."

Thanks everyone for the comments!

He's got such pinchable looking skin! It looks real!

Bigger pics would be nice.

Congrats on the silver, well deserved.