Outrage at "pro-painted" minis on ebay - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Outrage at "pro-painted" minis on ebay

I gotta say that I was REALLY surprised to click the link and discover who it was you were talking about. I've been aware of that painter for quite a while; he's established a very solid reputation in the Battletech community, and his works command good prices.

Having said that, however, I also have to say that the quality of the stuff that he's got currently listed is NOT up to his usual standards. His Battletech work is historically very good indeed, and what I'm seeing right now just isn't as good as what I've seen him produce in the past. Not only that, but his painting style does not translate well to fantasy figures. Maybe he's just mass-producing stuff now, I don't know, but based on my own experience the moniker "Pro Painter" most certainly applies to him.

Anyway, what you're complaining about certainly makes me angry too. I've seen plenty of utter rubbish get stupidly high prices at auction, and when I post something similar, and better-done (not being prideful: I know when my work's decent, and I know when it sucks, and I know when it's better/worse than something esle), all the idiots disappear and I wind up getting zilch for it. It's pretty frustrating, but there it is.

Some people though, are downright delusional about the quality of their work. I remember opening negociations with a guy about some minis he had, and he thought they were top-quality, highly collectible, super-duper-neat paint jobs, and they were BEYOND crap. He even went as far as to tell me that the pictures he sent of splatter-bucket minis were copyrighted! Anyway, I just walked away. But it's still extremely irritating knowing that somewhere there's a fool with a lot more money than sense that will probably buy them, yet is nowhere to be found when I'm looking to sell.
    Last edited by Gearhead; 06-22-2010 at 10:14 PM.

HA HA!! What are the chances!?!? The guy in question is actually in the same city as I am. I know the dude! That's pretty funny. I should tell some people about this thread, they'll laugh they're balls off! I know I am!

Just to expand on that, the dude has a pretty solid following. Some people think his work is fantastic I guess. He's been around a while, has a core following (or so I am told) so if he can get those prices, God bless him!

I'd seen some of this painter's work a few years ago, and I had a question. I think the level of painting is solid, and as mentioned, the ability to paint a lot of minis to that standard, and on a consistent basis, is impressive! But I've been figuring that there's some detail that pretty much HAS to be custom decals or something like that and not freehand, and just wanted the opinions of some other painters. This one is a good example of the kind of thing that boggled me (scroll down to the side and back views).

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Fenryl-painted-mi...item22f18be406

This one definitely seems like decals to me due to how identical each of the patterns is to the other.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1920s-painted-min...=item20b923fde
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 06-26-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    I'd seen some of this painter's work a few years ago, and I had a question. I think the level of painting is solid, and as mentioned, the ability to paint a lot of minis to that standard, and on a consistent basis, is impressive! But I've been figuring that there's some detail that pretty much HAS to be custom decals or something like that and not freehand, and just wanted the opinions of some other painters. This one is a good example of the kind of thing that boggled me (scroll down to the side and back views).

http://http://cgi.ebay.ca/Fenryl-pai...item22f18be406

This one definitely seems like decals to me due to how identical each of the patterns is to the other.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1920s-painted-min...=item20b923fde
    who cares if they are decals? With micro sol they melt and you don't have the film left so it's just as good as paint just quicker (people pay for a product not technique.)

I can 100% gaurantee that the painter uses decals quite a bit. Not citing it as negative, I just know he does. He prints them himself. In fact, a friend of mine wanted to buy soem from him and the paitner in question said "I wouldn't sell you any beacuse you couldn't afford them AND you wouldn't know what to do with them if you did have them.". Nice.

I won't say this guy is a friend of mine by a LOOOOONG stretch.

But I do think it's kinda cool to see a Saskatoon dude mentioned randomly on an international painting board! So that's something!

I think there are two types of pro painters the ones who paint hero/single figure to amazing levels and those who can churn out units/armies at a solid TT std, how good or bad some ones std is is all in the eyes of the buyer if he likes it then he will pay for it. I think the hobby is big enough for all types of Pro-painters to get their work out there.
    Come join the Fun

To put in economic terms, we can only conclude that the buyer thinks they are worth more than what he is buying them for, and the seller thinks they are worth less. either of these were not true, there would be no sale. That's Marginal Theory of Value (MTV) in a nutshell, and there's no cause for alarm. You obviously think that the minis are worth considerably less than those buyers, but that is utterly subjective.

Your outrage tells us that you are a subscriber to the Labor Theory of Value (LTV), and that like Karl Marx you think that the value of something is what it cost to make. I disagree.

I wasn't being judgey about decals, although I certainly think that the detailing does add to the prices the minis can command. I was just wanting to confirm one way or the other if that's what they in fact were. Thanks for verfiying that Scott!

Alright, lets approach this in the right CMON way.

If the models were on the site, I would say that the artist has some talent, the skin tones and faces need a little work, but the blending and shading on other areas of the models are good.
    Softer outlines of the faces and warmer skin colors would reduce the "china doll" effect that seems to be going on, but to each their own.

I would say that if the person is painting it, they're an artist, so would qualify to call it an artistic level quality. If the person is selling it then they're certainly qualified to call it professional level.

If you're using the term for anything other than a level of quality where someone is willing to buy it, then you're misusing it. I'd suggest calling it something different if you're looking for a scale of quality beyond that. But, of course, quality of art can only be determined by the person looking at it, not on any universal scale.
    Last edited by Dedwrekka; 06-26-2010 at 11:39 PM.

The whole pro painted thing has reared its head many times on here, it is something I generally don't agree with but having said that I just listed one of mine a couple of days ago and listed it as professionally painted (hard times at the moment) I thought why not, I don't paint for a living so technically it is not my profession but I thought it might draw more views. Having said that I think I may have priced it too high but to me that is what I want to see for it before I let it go.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT

A couple of observations: By far the biggest market for painted miniatures is the US. The 2nd is the Euro zone. Listing an auction in pounds and on ebay UK drops you off the radar of a lot of potential buyers. It's simply numbers, you go where the money is, since it's unlikely the opposite is going to happen.
    I like it firm and fruity!

I find offering free shipping to the US is a good way to drum up business. At the moment out of my last 5 sales, 2 were shipped to Spain, another to France and the other to Ireland. In the UK people just don't want to pay like they did a few years ago.

Also buying credits and advertising on cmon easily adds 1500+ views to an ebay sale, well worth it imo.

i agree with Alex...
    free shipping seems to make a big difference, and costs very little if you're using basic airmail...

on this topic, from what i've heard around the community, "pro-painted" is a joke as a label if your a good painter...
    i never have and never will, label an auction as "pro-painted", and i have been making a living painting for companies for 6 years...
    i label mine as "beautifully painted"...
    hopefully that won't become the new trend, and make beautiful a term of derision like pro has become...

CMON has made all the difference in views on my auctions, but it doesn't guarantee any sales...
    people spend their money how they want...

people may be outraged at this guy selling his single minis for $60, but someone is buyin'...
    i catch a lot of flack for charging $200 for my single minis, but they still sell eventually...

we need less sour grapes, and more fine wine, in the community...

cheers
    jah

Lovin the fine wine bit at the end.. I agree with jah, if you can get that much dolla go for it..

I've sold minis for $100+ I don't feel bad about it

@Jarminis - Whilst I use CMON articles to improve my own level of painting...my main use of this site is to view beautifully painted minis and hire artists for commissions. After paying painters such as Arjay, Automaton, Wiltrichs, Astonia and Benesz for commission pieces I don't understand the complaints people have with artists charging $200 per mini. I pay alot more for my commissions and after viewing the minis in real-life...can honestly say they were well worth it. I've viewed your gallery and feel what you charge for some of your minis is more then acceptable.
    Last edited by Rich Darkblade; 06-28-2010 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottRadom View Post
    ...the paitner in question said "I wouldn't sell you any beacuse you couldn't afford them AND you wouldn't know what to do with them if you did have them."

Jeez, a simple "no" would have sufficed.

Quote Originally Posted by jahminis View Post

we need less sour grapes, and more fine wine, in the community...

cheers
    jah
    C'mon down to where I live - you'll find both, mostly the fine wine but with a dash of the sour grapes.....seem to be anywhere you go.

Blog Entries

Tim, I think that mini you have on ebay is well under priced and I would say never let anything go for a song, as people will come to expect cheap painted minis if people are willing to undersell their art, never a good thing. Considering the time , effort and skill that goes into the models high prices should be expected from those who can do a great job. if you want art you have to pay for it....

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Definitely seen a whole lot worse. Also respect the fact that (as far as I could see...) he hasn't used the dreaded term 'pro-painted' in his auctions. So that's all nice and dandy

Quote Originally Posted by dogfacedboy uk1 View Post
    Tim, I think that mini you have on ebay is well under priced and I would say never let anything go for a song, as people will come to expect cheap painted minis if people are willing to undersell their art, never a good thing. Considering the time , effort and skill that goes into the models high prices should be expected from those who can do a great job. if you want art you have to pay for it....

dfb
    I guess it depends on the motivation of the seller. I sell my stuff at 99 cent base price and some stuff doesn't go for much more than 20$ a crack. Mostly rated at around 7 - 8 here on CMON as a rough guide to their quality.

While I'd sure like the ego boost of having them go for more (sometimes they do) I simply sell the mini's I paint because I am not attached to them at all and I don't really game anymore. Anything I get fro them is just bonus cash I can throw back into the hobby.

I charge much more for commission stuff because then I am not neccessarily painting what I want, or how I want to paint it. But eBay I just throw it out there and see what happens. But painting certainly isn't my livelihood or anything

@Gearhead- Yeah, the dude in question is something alright.