So I'm fashionably late to the Plog party...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I'm fashionably late to the Plog party...

Default So I'm fashionably late to the Plog party...

So I figured my figured my WIP would be for a fasionably late model. I decided to have my own go at a Storm Raven, but wanted to go more of the "midget thunderhawk" route. The basic model was, of course, the IG Valkyrie, with various plasticard additions, some bits from the Black Templar upgrade sprue, and an engine from the old Anakin podracer model. I'll begin the painting parts soon using my airbrush to test out some weathering and blending effects. I'd welcome any comments or criticisms you have. Thanks!
    Name:  115_0218..jpg
Views: 324
Size:  91.1 KBName:  115_0219..jpg
Views: 109
Size:  79.9 KBName:  115_0220..jpg
Views: 108
Size:  85.4 KBName:  115_0221..jpg
Views: 103
Size:  87.6 KB

nice work. I like it!
    can't wait to see how you paint it.

Tee
    “We do not want to be part of the fashionable crowd. We prefer to be on the edge.”
    Takasi Uno

Big and cool.

Minor update. I've got the basecoating and all the nooks and crannies filled in. I've been playing around with how to make a flat sheet of plastic look like a reflective pane of glass (to avoid detailing the junk underneath). Also, there's a skull because in the grim darkness of the 41st millenium, skulls are the accent du Jour apparently.
    Name:  115_0224..jpg
Views: 77
Size:  90.9 KB

Quick update: I've had a few days off sick and have been working on all the details around the cockpit. I was wanting to paint the front stabilizers with a white stripe that has been heavily distressed. I've read up on salt and sand masking using hairspray and the like. Any tips for pulling this off correctly? As I drew on my guide picture, I noticed the drawing looked like a very un-templar smiley face. Implications: unsettling.
    Name:  ravenlines..JPG
Views: 79
Size:  46.0 KB

Edit: new pics available tonight once I'm back from the office

So I promised updates after work, so here they are:

I've spent most of the past day or two doing some of the detail work (insignias, metals, etc. Once that's done I'll dive into the armor:
    Name:  115_0229..jpg
Views: 62
Size:  94.4 KBName:  115_0227..jpg
Views: 74
Size:  90.6 KBName:  115_0228..jpg
Views: 63
Size:  95.7 KB

As I mentioned in the last post, I'm thinking of having that distressed line on the front stabilizers. I've done up some samples using modeling sand, sea salt, and a combination of the two. So far, I'm liking the combo option best. What do you think?
    Name:  115_0230..jpg
Views: 70
Size:  56.3 KB

EDIT: I just noticed how washed out these photos are looking. I'll need to play with my macro settings next time. Sorry!

Washed out or not, I quite like your windows!

Hey Buddy,
    You shoulda asked me when you were over the other day. I've done some playing around with salt masking and I find the best thing to do is grind the salt down a bit with a mortar and pestle. You don't want it as small as the sand but much smaller than the sea salt crystals. Also, grinding it down gives it a much more natural look. Come on over next week and we can play around with it.

-V

@Chrome: Thanks! The windows were somewhat fiddly when I started glossing over the color. I used Shadow Grey as a base color and then added chaos black for the shade side and skull white for the highlight. I applied it with my airbrush at about 8 psi in several very watered-down layers. Overall I'm happy with the result.

@Hobo: Well, I wouldn't want to take away from "Burn Notice" now would I? Next week it is. I kinda like the look of the example on the far right which was a combo of modeling sand and sea salt. I was finding when I was using the salt only I was getting a funky residue after removing the mask. Do you get the same thing?

Well, it's been a few days since I've been able to post anything. Most of that time has gone into finalizing the small details before I get to work on the actual armor plating for the front half. The first pic is a top-down shot showing the base color of the armor (a mix of chaos black and codex grey)
    Name:  115_0234.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  83.6 KB
    The second is a quick pic of the aquila on the front to give a better look at the gold work. C&C are most appreciated here:
    Name:  115_0235.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  23.2 KB
    The third picture is of the right hull showing the details and crusade shields I put up. This side has not been basecoated yet with the black/grey mix:
    Name:  115_0237.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  35.0 KB
    Finally, the left hull is the detail over the black/grey basecoat and the banner I freehanded last night to fill in the empty space. Please let me know if you think there are areas where I can improve. That's the whole point of sharing work right?
    Name:  115_0238.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  33.4 KB
    Thanks!

ABSCONDED!!!

I've completed the front half of the Storm Raven, including weathering and sealing, but it appears the missus has taken the digital camera with her to Indiana. I'll have a significant update as soon as she returns.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrescher View Post
    ABSCONDED!!!

I've completed the front half of the Storm Raven, including weathering and sealing, but it appears the missus has taken the digital camera with her to Indiana. I'll have a significant update as soon as she returns.
    Looks like a good reason to buy another camera!

It's looking cool as hell so far, will watch for the updates!

Finally, updates!

I've been back in town long enough to sit at the workbench for a few hours and I snagged a few pictures of the Storm Raven in progress. I forgot how much I've done since I posted last. The front half of the model from the front of the wings through the cockpit has been detailed, weathered, and sealed. I'm currently working across the back section and have completed most of the work on the left wing. All that remained at the time of photography was a little weathering on the decals and to paint the missile payload under the wing, which has since been completed. Without further ado:
    Name:  115_0273.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  69.0 KBName:  115_0272.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  93.2 KBName:  115_0274.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  91.4 KB
    Hopefully I can get most of the other wing in shape tomorrow and finish up the rest of this bad boy by weeks end. As always, constructive criticism is most welcome. It's the only way I'll get better.

Blog Entries

I think the white stripes could have been a bit more solid (using too much salt is easy to do) but overall the thing is damn sexy. Easily one of the coolest 40k models I've seen in a long time

Looks great!! Is the 02 on the tail going to get the distressed look as well? And are you going to do some weathering on the distressed areas?

@Jericho: I agree. could have solidified them a bit more. This was my first time really experimenting with the masking in this way. I can always go back in with some white and fill them in a bit more.

@PC: Yes, the tail section will be getting the distressed look as well. All i've got finished so far is the front half and the left wing. Since I've posted I've gone in and hit the serial number on that wing with more weathering as well.

More pics to come as I make visual progress. Thanks again to everyone for the comments and critique!

Very cool. By far the best one of these I've seen done yet! Can't wait to see more.
    WARNING: Painting all of your miniatures may lead to death.

"There comes a day in every man's life when he has to get off the couch... and kill some zombies."

Minor update (no pics, sorry!)

The model is sitting at about 90% complete. Hopefully I can hammer out the last bits and have good, finished images up by week's end. Fiddly fine details are taking more time than expected

Default Well, I got 50% of the promise

I did finish the Storm Raven by week's end, but I'd hate to describe the quality of the pictures I was able to get as "good". Regardless, let me know what you think!
    Name:  115_0283.jpg
Views: 1720
Size:  82.9 KBName:  115_0286.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  70.8 KBName:  115_0285.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  83.3 KBName:  115_0287.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  80.5 KBName:  115_0288.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  76.2 KB