Advanced HQ question

Thread: Advanced HQ question

Default Advanced HQ question

In Advanced HeroQuest, the line-of-sight for projectiles is a bit shite and confusing. It says you should count the squares to the target, but must not count diagonally. Now, the only way i can work this sort of jazz out is with Pythagorean Theorem. Anyone else have any experience with the system and game itself?

Line of sight is exactly as it reads there.... and you are right its a little confusing. Basically count one tile out.. then one over then one forward .. then one over... that kind of thing until you reach the target......

U--
    |
    ----T

U is you...
    T is target...
    so the distance would be 8....
    does that make sense?

Bloody hell. I was thinking about that myself and was hoping it wasn't the answer . Is that, as far as you know, the absolute and definite method as per the game and the company, or is that the way you deal with the lack of guidance?

My understanding is that you count one square at a time and can't go diagonal. You don't need to know Pyth. for that you just count, basically a diagonal counts as two, at least that's what it works out to.

A more realisitic yet not perfect method to measure diagonals is to make every other one cost 2. That is not in the rules though.