what color to use for highlight?

Thread: what color to use for highlight?

Default what color to use for highlight?

So i've just started painting Tau, and my basecolor is Rotting flesh (yes, odd look is cool) and as im not the best painter here, i wonder what color to use as a highlight?

Bleached bone seems ok, but Not much of a difference from rotting flesh, so im wondering if i should maybe use skull white or mix in some color? any advice?

Your basic problem is that the color intensity of Rotting Flesh is already
    so light, that there aren't a lot of places to go. Consider darkening the
    RF slightly as a base to give you more range for your highlights.
    Otherwise, you may want to work up to white, bleached bone or try
    using a mix of White and BB. You could try a gray, but that will wash
    out the colors even more.

Get an index card RF, W, BB and play around.
    Try darkening the RF just a touch first with a green or slightly gray green ?

There was a thread recently about white being a problematic paint in regards to its chalkyness, some folk recommended the white paints in the P3 range. I picked them up but ain't used them for long enough to evaluate them on that front. But they have a nice Memoth White Highlight paint that's a smidgeon lighter and carries a touch less grey in it than Bleachd Bone that could serve well to highlight Rotting Flesh with to get an attractive tonal range.

@Therius - I always recommend starting with white, then look at something else (or use white + something else) if it doesn't look right. If the colour you're starting with is already quite pale it's very often the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by cfwheeler58 View Post
    Your basic problem is that the color intensity of Rotting Flesh is already so light, that there aren't a lot of places to go. Consider darkening the
    RF slightly as a base to give you more range for your highlights.
    Good idea.

Einion

I agree on all points. If I were in your place, I'd highlight up to white and if you're not getting the depth you want, shade the crevices a bit to add more.

Thanks for the replys, guys helped alot.

as of tomorrow, i'll be heading out on a 1 week trip, so i'll just bring my skull white to highlight. IF that doesnt work i'll try to shade it even more. thanks for the help

Edit didnt work for me, so i'll have to do a quick reply!

i might try to use 1/3 catachan green / rotting flesh as basecolor to make it easier.