Making an Orc fly...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making an Orc fly...

Default Making an Orc fly...

Hey CMONers,

Been a while since I did any posting here other than to trade and sell some stuff. So, I figured it's about time I made a contribution to the creative side of things.

First things first, I play miniature games. I'm not looking to win a demon or anything like that, but I do like to field a nice looking army. That being said, allow me to rant about how I became inspired:

This year a friend of mine and I decided to work on Ork hordes for 40k. We've been pretty successful with these armies and had a lot of fun playing them. I won best painted at a regional tournament a while back and recieved an Ork Wierdboy (psychic Ork, for those not in the know) as part of my prize. Both my friend and I look to field some things that are out of the norm from the typical min-max power lists going around. That being said, I started looking at the HQ choice for the orks and realized that I have yet to see a Wierdboy fielded during a game. I started looking into the rules and realized that he's not 1/2 bad, just a bit random... the perfect combination to get me excited to field the guy.

One problem, the model, while stylish, doesn't do much for me out of the box. So, I started playing with the bitz and pieces to see where we could go. I quickly realized that it would be easy to cut him loose from his base and reposition his feet to make him look like he's floating/flying. However, this begs the question of how to get him up in the air. This is no small hunk of pewter (eh mincy eldar) we're talking about. I thought of just plugging a clear flying base under him... BORING. So, I continued fiddling with bitz. There used to be a grot (goblin) sticking out on his right hand side who was holding a chain with a perfect 90 degree kink in it... lame. He's gone. He head on this guy is a big WIP, it used to have this brainy growth sticking out the top... looked like a cheesy Frankenstein monster. I cut that off and have filled it down. I found a length of chain from my Ork Trukk kit that was nice and thick. I drilled a hole through a lenght of that and ran a heavy gauge wire down the inside of the chain, through the hands of the grot minder and into his elbow. There is a hole in the Weirdboy's back that will recieve the wire/chain. That's how he's going to 'fly'. There is one other grot minder included with the kit, he is going to get a similar treatment to the grot on the base to help support the flying weirdboy and had to the sense of movement in the peice a bit. I have a lot more green stuff work to do, but I figured I would shoot out a WIP so people could see how I got to this point.

Hopefully, I'll remember to take pictures as I go and show you all how he comes along. Suggestions or ideas would be great.

Name:  DSC_0003_04.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  107.8 KB

thanks for looking,
    pez
    WARNING: Painting all of your miniatures may lead to death.

"There comes a day in every man's life when he has to get off the couch... and kill some zombies."

There was a very similar conversion a while back (floating weirdboy held down by grots with chains). If I remember correctly he even had a mask that was lit by tiny lamps (don`t know the right word in english). There was a lot of interest and the final result was very nice. Maybe one of the more experienced forum members can provide a link.
    Having said that, I don`t want to discourage you. It is a great idea even if it has been done before. The start looks real good too!

Greetings,
    Yuggoth

i remember seeing that one in the gallery Yuggoth, here is the link:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/195911

i think its the same concept you got there, but just the use of different models (night goblin fanatics). though it is probably a good one for inspiration in how to position it.
    and i love the idea of them flying in green energy and beeing held down to the ground by some grots or goblins, great idea! And i think there aren't as much people with this concept though

it looks like a good start and you got the parts you need so, im looking forward in seeing more of this one

That would be James S's (can't think of his last name) wierdboy (Ein on the Waaggh)
    From the look of things you may have to use a thicker rod for support. Also some more weight on the back end may be necessary to keep him from tipping forward.
    As for more support maybe a rod from the right foot/heel down though the chest of the second minder into the base. Then greenstuff chain or rope down the length, though the hands and around the torso of the minder to the ground.
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

Name:  DSC_0004.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  82.0 KBName:  DSC_0001.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  47.1 KB
    Despite my apparent lack of originality, I'm going to go ahead and show my WIP on this project.

FYI i've seen the other flying weirdboy, the person did a really nice job. This is my project. I, like many others, did some research once I had the idea to do this conversion to see if anyone else had a similar idea.

So, moving on, here's what I've go done. Ready to start painting the orc, need to finish the basing on the grotz. The support is surprisingly solid, but he will always be somewhat fragile, and I'm okay with that. The weight is balanced pretty well.

"There comes a day in every man's life when he has to get off the couch... and kill some zombies."

Looking good. The only thing that I can see at this point is that the chains look to have a bit too much slack in them. The way you have the grots posed I guess I'm seeing the chains being straighter.
    Keep it up.
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

Name:  DSC_0002_02.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  92.2 KBBeen busy with some ebay auctions, so had to take a break. Hoping to pick up the paint brush a bit soon. Got the grotz finished and ready for primer.

@mud duck: i agree that the chains should be tighter, but I had to make some concessions for support and my lack of modeling ability.

Thanks for looking:

Who cares if someone else did a similiar conversion, this is still very cool! I'm looking forward to seeing the paint job and how it all comes together.

Empchild

I'm with cregan on this who cares that somone had a similar idea once upon a time. I do agree that you should tighten up the chains as it will give the appearance of him being up there. Also not sure if it's too late but if you had one of the grot maybe with a foot off the ground or something to show that the weirdboy is lifting him into the air that could be cool. Either or I look forward to seeing this completed.

Set about putting some paint on model. THe construction is done. I did take the advice given and straightened up the chain a bit. Sadly, due to the materials involved and my minimal modeling skills, I was only able to straighten out the chain a little. Any more than what you see now would require some major reworking of parts that I'm just not willing to do. Anyway, i'll be seperating the ork from his base to do any further painting and to maintian my sanity in handeling the model through the paint process, but I couldn't wait to get an idea of what the finished piece would look like. I have most of the colors blocked in, so now the details, wash, highlight, rinse repeat cycle begins.

Thanks for checking my WIP, constructive crits and advice always welcome.

peace.

@CreganTur and Empchild thanks for the support.

Name:  weirdWIP.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  108.4 KB

Blog Entries

Looks great mate, neat idea!!!

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Started putting some depth and shadows to this guy. I would like to do some free hand on the cloak/coat/thing (yellow area), but I'm not sure what. I was thinking a thin checker board or flame patter on the shoulders or lappels (orks have lappels?) might look really nice. I know he's pretty washed out right now, the green skin and yellow coat are too close in value.

Any constructive suggestions on the lack of depth, freehand details, or anything else that would help would be welcome.

Thanks for looking,

Pez

thats a cracking looking conversion, I really like it! IF I ever did decide to start an ork army I'm so stealing that idea

I'm pretty close to done with the wierdboy now. I think I'll start on the base, then come back for the fine detail and OSL effect on his 'uge eye. Suggestions and comments welcome. Thanks for looking.

@evans: Glad you like it. The conversion is easy enough to do. If you need any help, questions answered, or advice with your conversion let me know. Good luck!

cheers,

Pez5767

Empchild

Your doing a great job on this dude, my only critique would be say pronounce a little more in highlights on the raised portion of his skin.

I suppose this wasn't much of a WIP afterall since I went straight from the last photo to done.

So here he his.

What do you think. I never came up with a fitting free hand element to add, so I just left the coat clean and yellow.

Thanks!

Pez5767

Name:  DSC_0034.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  90.9 KB
    Last edited by pez5767; 07-20-2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: added a larger thumb, the photo here is a bit small.

I think it looks pretty neat. I would have used more saturated colors but that's just my personal style.

Empchild

I think you have a great piece thier for your collection.

@Empchild: Thanks for the support along the way. Shoot me a picture of yours if you ever do something similar.

@Fire: Thanks. With my ork army I went for maximum gritty dirty ness. So, I avoid a lot of high saturation colors.... Sometimes I miss them when I want to make things POP, but that's the way it goes. Thanks for looking.

I didn't mean high saturation, just slightly more saturated. Right now in my opinion the green and the yellow are too similar. If I could make one change to it I would probably make the green a bit darker and greener and then it would be perfect. Of course, part of that might be lighting and photography, so that plays a big factor.