Any bets on the word association? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any bets on the word association?

Default I have no problem with off-topic

It is something of a tradition around here. I have no problem with with people playing word games, although I doubt this is the appropriate venue, but the anti-smoking page wont go on ad nauseum. Most off-topic threads soon die of their own accord. 40 plus pages of crap however is another matter...
    If the word association thread doesn\'t affect my ability to access the site then I also have no problem. I am just sick of having difficulties logging on and constantly seeing the Web Site Not Responding page. If you can reassure me it\'s not a problem with bandwidth I will cease to care. I am just getting a bit pissed off with having difficulties being able to access a site I pay to subscribe to and be a member of.

Default Definately NOT a flame...

... because I feel your pain, Finn, with the slow response on the site lately - not just on the Forums, but browsing images as well.

But (you knew that had to be coming, didn\'t you :D) if all off-topic posts are going to lead to \"intervention\", the web sites response will probably increase markedly. For one thing, you\'ll be able to eliminate probably half of the \"general discussion\" forum topics. For another, there is likely to be fewer users. I enjoy the comraderie and the FUN of CMON\'s forums. Eliminate all OT discussions and you\'ll eliminate a lot of the enjoyment. The description for \"General Discussion\" even says anything not covered elsewhere, including marriage proposals.

Temperence, I\'ve said this before, but it\'s always worth repeating! I really appreciate the very light hand you weild here. I think that alone generates a great deal of respect for you and out of that avoids a lot of problems before they happen.

[edit:] Oops. we must have been typing at the same time, Finn :D

Default Dauber..

There is no one on CMON I admire and respect more than you. Off topic is fine... lifeblood of CMON. But honestly...is playing word association in the spirit of CMON. Honestly?

At least most other off-topic threads give you some insight into the person who has made a post. You learn about their ideals, views etc..

One word responses ...for 40 plus pages. Sorry, I don\'t see the point.

AndIf I wanted to be really bloody minded why should subscribers pay for non-subscribers to clog up the site?

Pay up or shut up? Dunno. A question for higher powers than me.

Blog Entries

Actually, I find it kind of amusing, especially when you take into acount not everyone who is posting has English as a primary language.

Damn that anthro degree - :D

Default I\'d noticed

Originally posted by steelcult
    Actually, I find it kind of amusing,
    Sure you are on the right site though for that kind of amusement???

Default Finn

The feeling is quite mutual! And I think you made your point quite eloquently. That\'s why I put the little edit at the bottom of mine since I\'d not had a chance to read yours first.

You\'re quite right. 40 pages is a bit much. Out of respect for you inparticular, I shall resign from that thread. May \" sytem response\" grow to our mutual benefit! :D

perhaps I\'ll spend the extra time improving my typing skills lol

Default Oh please don\'t do that!!

Originally posted by dauber22
    You\'re quite right. 40 pages is a bit much. Out of respect for you inparticular, I shall resign from that thread. May \" sytem response\" grow to our mutual benefit! :D
    Whatever you do please don\'t do it out of respect for me. That is really evil.
    Emotional blackmail. Just say no!

Finn, I\'m not getting the \"website not responding\" messages, and any of the Tech things fall to Chern Ann\'s hands. I can\'t prove that the thread is or is not causing the problem -- if it is a problem, I don\'t have a problem getting rid of it.

Default I don\'t know if there is a connection...

But I have had at least 30 Web Site Not Responding messages tonight, so that is possibly why I am feeling a little \'eggy\':D

Blog Entries

Originally posted by finn17
    Actually, I find it kind of amusing,
    Sure you are on the right site though for that kind of amusement???
    Yeah. The thread, oddly enough, from my point of view, a thread like this gives insight into the way other people think, which in this day and time is not a bad thing.

Default Yeah, but...

[Yeah. The thread, oddly enough, from my point of view, a thread like this gives insight into the way other people think, which in this day and time is not a bad thing.
    If you can can truly get an insight into how people think from one word responses from people, for whom English might not be their first language, then you are in the wrong job.
    Also, this is information you are going to use how? And what the flying f*ck does it have to do with minis or painting...or even community? As I said in a previous post \'off topic\' is possibly the main strength of the CMON forums, in moderation. 41 pages of a child\'s word game is not!
    In my own very humble opinion:bouncy:

Default For the umpteenth time tonight (30+)

Web Site Not Responding
    The web site you have requested may be experiencing technical difficulties due to a busy or broken server.

Please try again by clicking the Reload icon on your navigation bar or, if that doesn\'t work, you may want to return to the site at a later time.

504 Connection Timed Out

Do you get them when logged in under Finn18?

Blog Entries

Yup, its childish. And having read all 40+ pages of it, I have seen some patterns emerge from the posts.

And, you are right, it has absolutely nothing to do with the hobby. However, I can point to several other threads in the general discussion area that fall into that category.

But, in the name of civility, I will stop posting there also.

Default I haven\'t tried...

Originally posted by Temperance
    But I will experiment:flip:

Default Strange...

It would appear that, once again, finn18 is a much faster vehicle.
    I was happy with with swapping to finn18, but CA seemed to fix the problem for a while....?!?
    Apologies to all those I have had evil thoughts about for potentially slowing my access:innocent:
    I will remain as finn18 for a while and see if things remain as fast...

Wow, I had no idea that the Word association thread was pissing anyone off, let alone that it mught be causeing server difficulties. Now that i know this, I\'ll lay off from posting on it too. :flip::bouncy:

Default Whoops....

I think I said earlier (I hope I said earlier) that the thread itself wasn\'t pissing me off, although it personally doesn\'t float my boat, but that I was having major access problems and if bandwidth was in short supply, threads like \'word association\' weren\'t helping the cause....
    However, it seems that there is a deeper problem in the system in that my my alter ego seems to have little problems accessing the forums, so......God knows???

Blog Entries

No problem there big Finn. I cant log into the front side of the website from work anymore, but can still log into the forums, so I can understand being frustraited at what might be slowing it down.

Default Well, I have just done a few \'laps of the track\'

Originally posted by Temperance
    ...and finn18 is like sh!t off a shovel. Seems like there is another problem with 17 and the forum engine checking for replies again???
    I will inhabit 18 for a while and stop being such a boring spoilsport:bouncy::flip:

Sorry folks, but my blood pressure rises after about 6 Web Site Not Responding screens and I guess I blamed the wrong thing...To err is human...to forgive is divine:D
    Forgive me:innocent: