Any bets on the word association? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Any bets on the word association?

Originally posted by finn17
    I am truly sorry if that\'s the impression you got. It is not what I intended:D
    I couldn\'t give a toss about any of these star thingies, to be honest.
    I understand that. I don\'t feel pressure from any of the senior members with stars upon thars to subscribe; to be honest, I would be unlikely to want a star if that were the case. As it is, I\'m not looking for a star so I\'ll be \"cool like Finn,\" I just want to support the site.
    I have congratulated many newbies on their first post....
    Myself included, if I\'m not mistaken. That\'s sorta my point. I want to help keep this sort of community going specifically because there\'s no sneetchy (sneetchular?) prejudice.

I just need an addition to the CMoN shop in order to do it....

Default R.I.P. Word association

It\'s been locked, taken down, lost to the Cmon history books, forever known as Supervikes folly, It gained so much mass that it imploded on itself.... Shall I continue

I personally did not understand the animosity toward the WA thread. My opinion is that if you don\'t like it, don\'t look at it or post in it. Why spend so much time and energy on getting it closed anyway when the time could easily be used to start new and interesting threads, or even painting? It seemed pretty harmless to me, and some people liked it.

It seems a shame to me that a very few people who had seem to have a vendetta against the thread can endlessly insult and pressure the Mod into closing the thread simply because they don\'t like it. The only viable reason I saw for closing the thread is that someone said that it slowed everything down, but only time I was slowed down was when opening the WA thread (again, if someone doesn\'t like it they don\'t have to open it). The forum and site speed seemed just like normal to me any other time (although I have a cable modem, so it may not affect me noticably).

At any rate, in my opinion, unless there are specific rules a thread is breaking (flaming, etc..), I believe that as little moderation as possible is best, otherwise this could wind up being a very boring forum with far fewer people to talk to.

Ahh, but destruction has it\'s own charms too...:flip::bouncy:

(Edit) I agree with the lax moderation bit, there has been a definite shift from getting the mods to shut it down to killing it in a more satisfying and deocratic way....hi-jacking of the thread. Sadly, I didn\'t get to stab the monster as much as I would have liked. C\'est le vie.

Originally posted by CaptNarcissisto
    It seems a shame to me that a very few people who had seem to have a vendetta against the thread can endlessly insult and pressure the Mod into closing the thread simply because they don\'t like it.
    Ummm, I prefer the phrase \"gently leaning\", if you please? Honestly, I don\'t think I or any other was insulting Temperance, merely expressing or feelings. Temperance is a great mod! Nor do I think it was an endless stream of insults or pressure. I really don\'t know why I didn\'t like it, maybe it was irrational, maybe not, but I think a time comes when anything has to be put down, whether it\'s your dog, grandma, or a 50 page thread. Maybe it was the fact that it didn\'t really contribute anything to the site, and you might argue that once again, many threads aren\'t useful...and I\'ll reply \"sure, but I would stick it\'s head in a sunroof too, when it gets to an obscene amount of pages.\"

Bahhh, who cares, let\'s all get along!! Wheee!!

And so the drama continues on......Days of CMON.

Soon to be aired on Fox, a new reality show on the lives of CMON goers. What crazy antics will they come up with next?

Next week, Temperance and Chern Ann come to blows...will the friendship be broken up at last? And Finn hangs the toilet paper wrong way around.....will the drama never cease?

You also signed off your post with the words:

\"Consider this thread a casualty and possibly the norm if this behavior continues.\"

Please tell me why I should not consider this sort of comment about a senior, subscribing member as anything other than offensive?
    Finn, what do you expect me to do? You were posting in several threads of your hatred of the WA -- basically flooding the forum. This I would categorize as \"Noisy, attention seeking behavior,\" rule 3 for the forums. (I personally dislike the rule because it\'s so vague and open to abuse, but in this case it does fit.) The AWA thread was too much (and it wasn\'t just to you but the whole thread, don\'t take it so personally.)

Some people were enjoying the WA thread and you guys had to step in and spoil their fun (eventually by derailing the topic.) This is not appropriate, and you guys know it!

I\'ll be making a post solicitating advice in the Feedback section in a day or two to streamline forum rules. (Once I get some free time...) I\'d like some discussion on the matter.

Originally posted by CaptNarcissisto
    I personally did not understand the animosity toward the WA thread. My opinion is that if you don\'t like it, don\'t look at it or post in it. Why spend so much time and energy on getting it closed anyway when the time could easily be used to start new and interesting threads, or even painting? It seemed pretty harmless to me, and some people liked it.

It seems a shame to me that a very few people who had seem to have a vendetta against the thread can endlessly insult and pressure the Mod into closing the thread simply because they don\'t like it. The only viable reason I saw for closing the thread is that someone said that it slowed everything down, but only time I was slowed down was when opening the WA thread (again, if someone doesn\'t like it they don\'t have to open it). The forum and site speed seemed just like normal to me any other time (although I have a cable modem, so it may not affect me noticably).

At any rate, in my opinion, unless there are specific rules a thread is breaking (flaming, etc..), I believe that as little moderation as possible is best, otherwise this could wind up being a very boring forum with far fewer people to talk to.
    I\'ll assume you include me in the \'vendetta\' group. Lessee...I said I didn\'t like it...I voiced my opinion...where you lose me is the \'insult and pressure the Mod\' bit.

I don\'t believe anything I said to Temp could be construed as an insult. I certainly don\'t believe I pressured him - I said from the get go it was his call (obviously).

Believe me, I\'m a BIG proponent of the \'don\'t look at it if you don\'t like it\' argument...and I havent\' had anything to do with it since about page 20 or so IIRC. Doesn\'t mean I won\'t comment on it if it gets mentioned somewhere else.

*shrug* Ah well...I only hope Temp didn\'t take anything I said as insulting...that was not my intent...I never mean to insult anyone here...I\'m a nice guy... :)

Blog Entries

[i]Originally posted by Temperance
    Finn, what do you expect me to do? You were posting in several threads of your hatred of the WA -- basically flooding the forum. This I would categorize as \"Noisy, attention seeking behavior,\" rule 3 for the forums. (I personally dislike the rule because it\'s so vague and open to abuse, but in this case it does fit.) The AWA thread was too much (and it wasn\'t just to you but the whole thread, don\'t take it so personally.)

Some people were enjoying the WA thread and you guys had to step in and spoil their fun (eventually by derailing the topic.) This is not appropriate, and you guys know it!

I\'ll be making a post solicitating advice in the Feedback section in a day or two to streamline forum rules. (Once I get some free time...) I\'d like some discussion on the matter.

Temperance -

First let me say that I think you do an excellent job moderating. Its a hard post to have and dealing with everyone from all over the world and walking a fine line between madness and keeping control on the forums.

Now, having said that, lets see how far down my own throat I can get my own feet. A finer example of walking both sides of the argument may never be seen here in the forums.
    :D

I took part in the WA thread for a couple of days. I found it mildly entertaining, but after finn and several others made complaints about the possibility of it slowing the connection they were getting to the site, I stopped, not wanting to cause anyone else to have issues connecting with this place I consider a home on the web. It continued, and I really lost interest in it, but I also saw that some people were using it to boost their post totals. Really, unlike some of the others here, I didnt have to much of a problem with this also - after all, not everyone can just jump right into the swirling melee that is the forums here on CMON and feel comfortable right away, and this was a simple way for some folks to get thier feet wet without exposing themselves to the opinions of the more \"senior\" members of this group. We can be somewhat abrupt if you haven\'t had time to get to know us. I also thought that other folks would take the hint like I did and let the beast die on its own. It didn\'t.

When the hijack came up, I decided to join in. In my time here I have participated in multiple threads that have never stayed on topic, and have been the last poster on several topics, and I felt that if I could help the thing trip off the mortal coil then I would do my damnedest, cause I to had gotten tired of that beast popping up everytime I clicked on the latest post in the GD thread.

I can also understand Finn\'s frustration at the death of the AWA thread. In his view, the two threads were very similar and you stepped on his after a few posts and let the other run on for over 50 pages.

Understanding Finn\'s frustration does not mean that I do not understand your frustration as well. Like I said earlier you have a rough job, and sometimes it is made all the harder by the actions of those of us who post here on a regular basis.

Do I think that this will not happen again? Hell no. We all come from different experiences and backgrounds and because of this misunderstandings will occur. Should we work this out and see what we can do to make things a little better? Yes. I for one look forward to your thread to improve the forums.

Originally posted by steelcult
    I can also understand Finn\'s frustration at the death of the AWA thread. In his view, the two threads were very similar and you stepped on his after a few posts and let the other run on for over 50 pages.
    I, too, understand Finn\'s frustration. I would like to point out however that, way back on page one of this thread, Temperance warned that he would shut down any attempt at a second version of the WA thread. The AWA thread could certainly be seen as a very similar entity, so the move to shut it down was not unprecedented.

I do not mean that as \"taking sides\" in this little dust up. Will not do that as it\'s a no-win situation for me. Just pointing out an apparently overlooked factoid.

I found it mildly entertaining, but after finn and several others made complaints about the possibility of it slowing the connection they were getting to the site, I stopped, not wanting to cause anyone else to have issues connecting with this place I consider a home on the web.
    We actually figured out that this was not directly related, but more because of Finn17\'s 2000+ posts. When Finn18 was logged in, he suffered no more slowdown.

Originally posted by dauber22
    I, too, understand Finn\'s frustration. I would like to point out however that, way back on page one of this thread, Temperance warned that he would shut down any attempt at a second version of the WA thread. The AWA thread could certainly be seen as a very similar entity, so the move to shut it down was not unprecedented.
    Thank you -- you now understand my state of mind.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Temperance
    I found it mildly entertaining, but after finn and several others made complaints about the possibility of it slowing the connection they were getting to the site, I stopped, not wanting to cause anyone else to have issues connecting with this place I consider a home on the web.
    We actually figured out that this was not directly related, but more because of Finn17\'s 2000+ posts. When Finn18 was logged in, he suffered no more slowdown.
    True. I was trying to point out my reasoning for not posting anymore on that thread - not that there was any logic behind my reasoning. :D

Default Hmmm....

Originally posted by Temperance
    ..\"your hatred\"...
    ...\"basically flooding the forum\".....
    ...\"Noisy, attention seeking behavior,\" ...
    ...\"you guys had to step in\"...
    ....\" spoil their fun\"...
    ....\"eventually by derailing the topic\":....
    ...\"This is not appropriate\"...
    ...\"and you guys know it!\"...
    You are not exactly an unbiased moderator are you?:P

Default Oh, that\'s Okay then.

Originally posted by Temperance[We actually figured out that this was not directly related, but more because of Finn17\'s 2000+ posts. When Finn18 was logged in, he suffered no more slowdown.
    Would you like me to pay another subscription as well?

You are not exactly an unbiased moderator are you?:P
    I\'ve made my point that you\'ve acted immaturely. I gave a warning that any more threads similar to the WA thread would be shut down, and you\'ve been very aggressive towards me since I shut down the AWA thread.

We\'ve both made decisions on the matter and I don\'t think there is any point to discussing it any more. I have better things to do with my time.

You may now put in your last word on the matter, because I will not waste any more time discussing it. It\'s history.

I hope you act a little more civil in the future.

Default Why don\'t you form a bloody committee...

Originally posted by TemperanceI\'ll be making a post solicitating advice in the Feedback section in a day or two to streamline forum rules. (Once I get some free time...) I\'d like some discussion on the matter.
    Basically, as it also says in the guidelines, \"The majority of the Forum denizens are polite and considerate of each other. We have a very low threshold of tolerance for social defectives\"
    So do we need a baton-twirling moderator governing our thinking?
    Things seemed to work pretty well before you started stamping your brand.
    *aside* you can\'t really contribute to the forums and be a moderator. Your comments about Atacam\'s post were totally out of place as a moderator as they were ill-considered and wrong. If you were just \'temperance\' your view would have been challenged in the normal, democratic way.
    If you are going to start \'streamlining the forum rules\' then my aversion to beaurocrats is going to kick in and I will be off. Could be quite a result as far as you are concerned;)

Originally posted by TemperanceI\'ve made my point that you\'ve acted immaturely.
    That\'s almost a compliment to a 45 year old double honours graduate:D
    But I did not act immaturely, and I wasn\'t uncivil.
    Your own continuing petulance does you no credit at all:(

Default Ahem! Ahem!!

Forum Rules

1. No personal attacks. Doesn\'t matter if you were attacked first, just report it and move on.
    2. Keep criticism constructive, polite and limited to painting and modelling

you know, I would hope that both the moderator and the forums\' most prolific poster would be able to remember and live by these two simple rules ;)

Default Sorry dauber....

Originally posted by TemperanceYou may now put in your last word on the matter, because I will not waste any more time discussing it. It\'s history.

Given your continued use of \'teacher speak\' ie talking to me as if I was a naughty child.

How dare you!!!

I will have my last word...

You are, in my opinion, somewhat lacking in judgement as a moderator, and I have little, if any, respect for you in this role.

There you go, last word.

Until you make another decision I disagree with. This a democracy...right?