1/24th scale = how many mm?

Thread: 1/24th scale = how many mm?

Default 1/24th scale = how many mm?

YOu know, like how miniature scales are calibrated. 28mm, 35mm, 70mm, 15mm, and on it goes. What scale is 1/24th? Thanks!

Btw if I posted another thread on this, I couldn't find it. I did a site search and a cntrl-F text search of the forum page and it didn't show up but neither did my own sn when i did a search for that just to see if it was working. At the time of the search, one of my threads was near the top of the list and the text search didnt' pick it up. So if this is a redundant thread, I apologize.

Newbie, please be gentle twomoons's Avatar

Work in this scale all the time...it works out to be 75-77mm...give or take a mm. If your mini is that...it's 1 /24 (or 1 /25 even). Use Preiser figures as a guide.

Generally, a 6ft tall figure is the "standard" size ... 6ft = 72 inches. So, a miniature that is 1 inch tall would be 1/72 scale. So, roughly a 3 inch (~75 mm) figure would be 1/24 scale.

jim

Default Good rule of thumb

The easy math that most mail order / manufacturers use
    starts with a human figure at 1800mm. Simple division
    from there gives you a scale or vice versa.

Examples....

1800 divided by 9 = 200 so 1/9 = 200mm
    1800 divided by 150 = 12 so 150mm = 1/12 ( or 12mm = 1/150 )

In your case, consistent with previous posts....

1800 divided by 24 = 75 so 1/24 = 75mm

Just remember a human figure is 1800mm and go from there.....

Grand! thank you. I probably won't make my figures all the greek ideal tall types but I need the contextual numbers. thank you!

Phrawgg, 1/24 is the scale*. To work out what size anything is (height, length, whatever) you just need to divide the full-size measurement by 24, it's that simple.

1/24 figures vary, but if you assume a nominal height of 1.73m (5' 8", a decent historical average) then height - measured to crown of head like in the real world - is 72mm.

A 75mm figure height works out as being 1.8m (just under 5' 11") and a 77mm figure works out as 1.85m (a touch under 6' 1") in 1/24 scale.

Einion

*Nominal sizes - 28mm, 54mm etc. are inherently inaccurate or misleading; this doesn't matter so much with fantasy stuff but it's very important with properly-scaled models like 1/24 car kits.

Right. I just meant for like if I am shopping for miniatures, since in the miniatures world, things aren't listed in scales rather they are listed in mm's. Thank you though!

Quote Originally Posted by Phrawgg View Post
    Right. I just meant for like if I am shopping for miniatures, since in the miniatures world, things aren't listed in scales rather they are listed in mm's. Thank you though!
    oh now thats not true! you'll find both used....

Einions completely right (as always....!!*%@@!) but if you're shopping then manufacturers use 75mm. But that's stupid.....