I may not be able to afford this hobby any more...

Thread: I may not be able to afford this hobby any more...

Default I may not be able to afford this hobby any more...

Ok, have to poke some fun at the CMON Store. I was really excited when I saw the pictures of the new "Great Wolves" from MicroArt Studio on the front page of CMON the other day.

I really like this one:

But $33.....really.... $33 for a single mini? What is the thing cast from platinum? No, the write up says that it is cast in resin. It is a large mini if it is on a 60mm base, but $33 for a single wolf cast from resin....

Glad I have years worth of lead laying around to paint.

Cheers,
    Grumb

Not to be like that but it sure beats the huskey here, in both design and price...

Yeah, I know it's not fair comparing to vampire-GW

Can only second that, prices are getting way over the top let alone for a single mini. Point is if it's too expensive don't buy it, guess that'll make 'designer's / companies' think twice about it before launching products.

(rent from an old man) remember when the monsters size miniatures where 15$ or so, was 20 years ago; now they cost thrice as much. Sure the average salary has gone up 3 times in 20 years... not

but that's a different story

I have to say, even at the size they are the price for the two wolves does seem high.

Einion

hehe i just bought a shed load of colonial marines from em4 £1.25 each. value, old skool styleeeeeee!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Nice when you can find deals like that. i could understand if the thing was metal, given the increase in costs for base materials, but that much for resin... I thought only GW could get away with that.... Like I said, glad I have enough lead to keep me busy for the rest of my life.

Saw those myself and considered looking into them for D&D. I did not notice the price though! Wow.
    ... and my players wonder why I use prepaints that cost me 50cents each.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilvan Blight View Post
    Saw those myself and considered looking into them for D&D. I did not notice the price though! Wow.
    ... and my players wonder why I use prepaints that cost me 50cents each.
    Exactly right!

There are a TON of small companies that put out quality minis for a fraction of that cost. Make sure you patronize those folks.

Amen Vike. I'm having an interesting time even finding a place to buy minis and supplies. All of the LGSs that I used to patronize here in Atlanta have gone out of business. I'm having to order everything online and pay shipping now. It's now an hour drive to the closest decent LGS. Wish I had the money to open one myself, although with the economy the way it is, it probably wouldn't be wise at the moment.

Cheers,
    Grumb.
    Last edited by Grumb; 07-29-2010 at 06:01 PM.

For things like Wolves and other animals I like to use MegaMinis. They have a great selection of 'common' items, citizens, animals, chairs, etc. that I find extremely useful for my D&D games.

I think all they have now is an eBay store having given up on their website but they still have great prices for stuff that's less then easy to find.
    http://www.megaminis.com/

Now I realize they aren't 30mm minis, or nearly as impressive as this but a pack of 5 wolves is only $7 at MegaMinis.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumb View Post
    Amen Vike. I'm having an interesting time even finding a place to buy minis and supplies. All of the LGSs that I used to patronize here in Atlanta have gone out of business. I'm having to order everything online and pay shipping now. It's now an hour drive to the closest decent LGS. Wish I had the money to open one myself, although with the economy the way it is, it probably wouldn't be wise at the moment.

Cheers,
    Grumb.
    Online is the way I buy 90% of my items. Iowa isn't exactly the mecca of the hobby-world. But actually, there is alot of fun in the 'wait' for a product to arrive.

Newbie, please be gentle neonjfd's Avatar

I saw those and thought the same thing as you guys. That is why I am thinking on making some of my own stuff, if I ever get good enough. Or just keep buying from some of the other guys who make cool stuff at a more reasonable price.

Hmm......... Me thinks Fenris and his brood might fit the RBG setting rather well.

I remember when rackham was having their 50% off sale to get rid of their inventory before they made to complete jump to prepainted. It was heaven! I felt like $25 for one wolfen mini was a bit much but I would gladly pay around $13 for one.

And then there is GW... good ol' GW. I know plenty of people who work for the company and they always jabber on about how being able to produce new minis in the form of plastic will allow them to save so much money, yada yada yada... Unfortunately that does not mean the savings is passed on to the consumer. It just means GW will charge just as much for the plastic mini, if not more, as they would for a metal mini. The new orc lord on wyvern for instance. Old wyvern $50. New wyvern $83!!!! I think they slapped some special name to the lord, AZHAG, just so they can tack on an extra $33.

I know everyone wants a profit and that mini production is not cheap but I also know that those who create the prices understand cognitive dissonance and it seems fairly common when buying minis.

I promise that when I start my mini company I will be sure that my minis will be priced so that everyone is happy