A light under a bushel.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A light under a bushel.

Default A light under a bushel.

I'm not one for the over use hyperbole when it comes to writing or commenting on minis, I like to call a "spade a spade" and be as honest as I can.
    BUT sometimes I find stuff that I think needs to be brought to a Wider Audience.
    Yesterday I met someone who's painting is Superb. No other word for it.
    His colours are vivid, clean, well defined and make the minis 'sparkle'. I'd place his work up alongside the likes of Jakob Neilson, Ben Jarvis, and Darren Lathem for quality.

Having had the opportunity to see his work and hold it in my hand I can say that the pictures in his gallery here are seriously under rated.
    http://coolminiornot.com/browse/page...itter/DaveyBoy

Having seen so many LOTR figures at GDUK I can honestly say that not only does he knock the spots off my painting, but he could hold the figure up against any of the previous winners and given them a serious run for their money.

He's never been to a Golden Deamon, having seen his stuff he really needs to go!.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

aye not bad. he even makes those weird mantic elves look good
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

I think a lot of us suffer from this photo curse. I know I do, well at least I think my stuff looks better in RL? Anyway, you are right the stuff doesn't look that outstanding in the pics, but if you say its good, then so be it, I trust your judgement as I think you have a good eye for things Mike. Help him out to take some good pics, lets see what he can really do. I look forward to it and the inspiration it can bring.

it is frustrating to spend the extra time on a model only to not see it in the pics you post :-(

First off your absolutly right Superfreak!!!

DaveyBoys work is under appreciated.

As to the (perhaps) poor quality of pics. i understand; have trouble with mine to.

When can you tell if it is your mini that needs more work; or if the pic you took ins't any good??

Been trying to improve my pics but after about 5 months trying; the grades have only gone down:-(

Good find DR. Yep, I like his stuff.

Mike, if he is Bolton based get him round, I can show him a super quick simple set up and how to tweek certain bits n bobs such as light distance etc.

Hi Mike it was nice meeting you yesterday. Thanks for the rock painting session, I will certainly be trying to use some of your techniques on future bases.
    Thanks also for the kind words, however I am not sure that my work can actually live up to your glowing comments.
    I do not personally think I am anywhere near to the standard of any of the people you mentioned, but it makes me feel very proud that you think I am.
    Also thanks to everyone else for their possitive comments.
    I do admit that when it comes to my photography there is definately room for improvement.
    Last edited by DaveyBoy; 08-01-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyBoy View Post
    Hi Mike it was nice meeting you yesterday.Thanks also for the kind words, however I am not sure that my work can actually live up to your glowing comments.
    I do not personally think I am anywhere near to the standard of any of the people you mentioned, but it makes me feel very proud that you think I am.
    Also thanks to everyone else for their possitive comments.
    I do admit that when it comes to my photography there is definately room for improvement.
    Dave; You are under-rating yourself.
    I took a couple of picture of your stuff on Saturday (below) I think from these that people will be able to see exactly what I mean. (Oh and if FRAN says you're good, you're GOOD)
    Please bare in mind that these are just quick "pop" shots, no set up, taken in the Cafe/Delicatessen.
    Camera in Program mode and with built in flash.
    Name:  DSC_1788a.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  DSC_1795a.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  87.1 KB

Name:  DSC_1804a.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  89.5 KB
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I think it is nice to meet some one who is so talented and does not know it. He is like a real diamond in the rough. Nice pictures BTW
    Daveyboy I know you are not enjoying the limelight but just know there are people out there who just want to help you, we all love seeing well painted figures and know what skill it takes to produce what you have, so I guess I,m saying dont be a stranger, we will be around if you need help or adice.
    Come join the Fun

It's all great stuff Dave. The best in show Gnoblar got my vote Did you do the Mantic Ghoul unit as well?

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Dave; You are under-rating yourself.
    I took a couple of picture of your stuff on Saturday (below) I think from these that people will be able to see exactly what I mean. (Oh and if FRAN says you're good, you're GOOD)
    Please bare in mind that these are just quick "pop" shots, no set up, taken in the Cafe/Delicatessen.
    Camera in Program mode and with built in flash.
    Name:  DSC_1788a.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  DSC_1795a.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  87.1 KB

Name:  DSC_1804a.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  89.5 KB

Thanks again Mike for your positive comments & pictures and say thank you to Fran for me.

Quote Originally Posted by exilesjjb View Post
    I think it is nice to meet some one who is so talented and does not know it. He is like a real diamond in the rough. Nice pictures BTW
    Daveyboy I know you are not enjoying the limelight but just know there are people out there who just want to help you, we all love seeing well painted figures and know what skill it takes to produce what you have, so I guess I,m saying dont be a stranger, we will be around if you need help or adice.
    Thanks Exilesjjb I'll try not to be a stranger and I certainly know where to come for help and advice

Quote Originally Posted by BPI View Post
    It's all great stuff Dave. The best in show Gnoblar got my vote Did you do the Mantic Ghoul unit as well?

Cheers, B.

Hi BPI glad you like my minis. Thanks also for your vote and Yeh the Ghoul unit was mine.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyBoy View Post
    Hi BPI glad you like my minis. Thanks also for your vote and Yeh the Ghoul unit was mine.
    Well get it all in the Gallery then :finger-wag: there's some lovely work there

I've got my free sprue of those Ghouls sat about here somewhere & yours have shown me what's possible with them, very inspiring

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Welcome to the forums Daveyboy! Your stuff is fantastic!

I was there at the Weekend taking the entries in and all I can say is I really liked all his stuff. The mantic Ghoul unit won the unit and the old plastic black orc won the Open, The best in show for the single mini was well deserved. If you can make it down to the Sheffield meetings more I won love a painting lesson or two.

hmm, i have to say, when i read dragonreachs comparison to ben, and darren etc i was VERY sceptical. However, that gnoblar looks very similar in style to what ben does (ive know him for more years then i care to mention, so i think im allowed to say this with some justification ) and actually at a similar level too. i wish i had made the journey to sheffield now, looks like it would have been fun

nice minis, definately need better photos (but thats a problem most of us have )

chris

I looked through his stuff and the photography is definitely not helping his work. Funny thing is that you can see the progression of his skill develop from mini to mini...

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    Welcome to the forums Daveyboy! Your stuff is fantastic!

Thanks for the welcome and I really appreciate your votes and the positive comments.