So...............are 'they' out there? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So...............are 'they' out there?

"The surest sign that there is intelligent life out there is that they haven't tried to contact us, yet."
    -- Calvin

100% there is life out there, and intelligent life! Humans started off thinking they were the centre of the galaxy until some bright spark realised we orbit a star. Humans said that no life could be found in hotter climates than Earth has until a bright spark discovered bacterium living in and around undersea volcanic vents - 1000 degrees celcius or so.

The globe will have to be unified in order to fully explore space and meet extra terrestrials. The EU is an example of this which is slowly expanding. First need to forget our differences of "my political system is different to your political system, I feel strongly about this". We won't ever find an alien race planting flags of a nation instead of a race/planet because it just isn't feasible economically or socially.

I've chosen my side.

unfortunately our planet as a whole doesnt place much value on space exploration/colonization and space-tech development. imagine what we could accomplish if the global military complexes shifted to space exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post

The globe will have to be unified in order to fully explore space and meet extra terrestrials. No. Being blunt, cynical and realistic, expansion into the exploration of space will occur when someone says" What's in it for me" closely followed by "How much can we make out of it!"
    The EU is an example of this which is slowly expanding. The EU is a seriously bad example to try to make on unification, it's bogged down with Bureaucracy and the continuing attempts of differing countries to achieve dominance. If the EU was purely about unification then Greece wouldn't be in the financial mess with other countries attempting to bail her out.
    First need to forget our differences of "my political system is different to your political system, I feel strongly about this". We won't ever find an alien race planting flags of a nation instead of a race/planet because it just isn't feasible economically or socially.
    The human species are too damn aggressive and intolerant of ourselves to ever stop being in conflict.
    We as a species need to realise that we inhabit the same ball of mud and that we need to work together. BUT the day that happens to every one of us, we'll have evolved probabaly away from the need to colonise or explore in a physical presence.

I know Heinlien was right when he said "The Earth is too small a basket to hold all our eggs in!", but if we use space and planetary colonisation as an escape all we do is take our problems with us.
    If you think Jerry Springer is bad limited to what we see now, think of it increased to planetary scale. Makes me wonder if we are the "Trailer Trash" of the universe.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    With a Welsh first name and surname what do you think I am boyo?

Einion
    is eionion you first name? don't know your surname. i thought you were irish? some of the weirder welsh and irish names sound alike imo
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn R. L. View Post
    I met Him.
    WTF?!?!

What did he look like? Was he blonde-haired?

Did he ride a Chopper?

A recent, conservative estimate of energy required to form wormholes and such like is placed at about one whole star. I hope some aliens somewhere have managed to sort out inter-stellar travel without popping a star out of existence every time.

Further to my post (two above this one) re Shaun meeting the big man, if I was to use his testimony as a means of cementing my own faith, I could also equally apply the testimony of alien abductees in the same manner. In fact, I think I just might. I'm a trusting sort of fellow. As such, I now consider myself a believer in the divine (and the occult - hand-in-glove really) as well as the little probing dudes from outer-space.

I'M A BELIEVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel Castro View Post
    Further to my post (two above this one) re Shaun meeting the big man, if I was to use his testimony as a means of cementing my own faith, I could also equally apply the testimony of alien abductees in the same manner. In fact, I think I just might. I'm a trusting sort of fellow. As such, I now consider myself a believer in the divine (and the occult - hand-in-glove really) as well as the little probing dudes from outer-space.

I'M A BELIEVER!
    every one knows God is an Englishman

Having read the Old Testament, I concur! A nasty bugger!

And I thought I wouldn't be recognised here ! Time to move dimensions again...

Absolutely. We would be both arrogant and stupid to assume we are alone.
    Glyn (Zaphod) Evans

https://www.facebook.com/minipaintingguild/
    My painted miniatures...

The hypothesis that there is some form of molecular assembly that fits into our current classification of life is pretty likely in my mind. Given my opinion isn't a scientific fact, but is simply a best guess. Microbial life while complex in comparison to ordinary water isn't nearly as complex as say a tadpole. Assuming that none of the billions of stars nearby, with their billions upon billions of worlds, is incapable of supporting primordial ooze, bacterium, or algae is kind of ludicrous. We've barely scratched the surface of evidence out there in our galaxy, much less any other galaxy, and forming any kind of concrete idea about the whole ordeal is absurd. Even though we have not found life, the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. And we'll never be able to disprove the possibility of life outside our world until we have explored all worlds, or more accurately, all mass.

That being said, does it actually matter if their is life on other planets? We assume that it would be the single greatest discovery in our scientific history, but I have my reservations on that. (I believe a greater discovery would be the creation of sentient thought in some artifice) Either we find life that does not operate on an equal intellectual level with us, we encounter life that doesn't even have a relative intellectual thought process, or we encounter life that has a superior intellectual level with us. If inferior intelligence is what we find we'll classify it, domesticate if possible, and harness towards some not so extraordinary pursuit. If we find intelligence that isn't even relative to ours, and instead works on principles that we don't comprehend, then we'll always have to be wary of it and won't be able to trust it. It wouldn't be benign or malicious, but simply confusing and possibly dangerous. If we find superior intelligence we're probably going to be categorized, studied, and possibly implemented in one of their minor scientific pursuits.

We think we'll treat life from further out in the universe differently from how we treat it in earth. Why would we? The least likely scenario of all is finding comparably intelligent life. If that were to happen, I theorize our cultural xenophobia will lead to conflict. It's possible over centuries we may learn to coexist, but it will be a rocky start at the least.

As for higher intelligence taking our race under their wing and instructing us on how to pursue higher purpose or whatever nonsense....do WE do this with ANY species on earth? It's possible, sure. But I just doubt it likely. We don't teach dogs multiplication. We categorize, implement, but rarely advance the species. Even speaking Bonobos aren't taught scientific pursuits. We simply augment their communication skills with a form of language we recognize and that doesn't rely on vocal chords. We don't attempt to further their thought process or mental accuity. Of course any scenario is possible, but not all hypothesis are created equal.

Given all scenarios, does it really change our course forward? Will the knowledge that their is no life, or the knowledge that there is do anything to stem or further our own advancement? In respect to timeline, maybe. What would have taken 1,000 years might be condensed into 500 in the fervor of scientific curiosity. But really, that's all this is about. Curiosity. We will explore our solar system, then our galaxy, and possibly one day even further with or without the possibility of life. Our species is marked by curiosity and a sense of pioneering spirit. It doesn't matter what your theory is, we will eventually explore outwards as long as we continue to attempt sating our scientific curiosity.

EDIT: An interesting thought. Even should we unlock the mysteries of our universe and discern all facts of the present, we will preoccupy our curiosity by unlocking the mysteries of the past. Even should we unlock those mysteries, there are the mysteries of the future that are as unlimited as time.
    Last edited by IdofEntity; 08-26-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Philosophical Garbage
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

Life is improbable. When that small proberbility is spead across the immensity of the universe the chances of it are greatly increased. And by the fact, we as humans are alive, says it has happened at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by Naukhel View Post
    "The surest sign that there is intelligent life out there is that they haven't tried to contact us, yet."
    -- Calvin
    I love that comic strip....But, what did Hobbes say?