Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tommie's; What I do Thread.

Default Tommie's; A personal project!.

This is the banner for a green night mini i've been commissioned to paint.

the green night himself is part of a series of lessons i've been sitting with the same client but he wanted the best on this so here we go

the basics.
    Last edited by Tommie Soule; 05-10-2013 at 12:22 PM.

I'VE ADDED WEBCAM LESSONS NOW TOO!
    And a YOUTUBE channel
    Instagram and FaceBook too

the small wispy banners curled and glued.

And a YOUTUBE channel

The banner looks not bad, well done. Like the way how it streams out in the wind - how did you do it?

But your pictures just have such a huge resolution, that I had to scroll in all directions...

Is there more to see of the knight himself, too? What scale is it - looks a bit larger than 30mm, no?

Quote Originally Posted by DunErwit View Post
    The banner looks not bad, well done. Like the way how it streams out in the wind - how did you do it?

But your pictures just have such a huge resolution, that I had to scroll in all directions...

Is there more to see of the knight himself, too? What scale is it - looks a bit larger than 30mm, no?
    to curl it i just wrapped it around a paint brush, then blasted it with a hair dryer fer a bit, done.

sorry about the huge pics, my pc is only showin em at about 5" wide, took em on my mobile phone, chucked em on photobucket. i'll see what i can do.

the knight is GW bretonian green knight, 28mm. there are more pics of him but it's not all my work. i've been teaching a student on it for a while now so it'd be bad for me to take credit for it. but i'll see what he thinks about me posting more pics

And a YOUTUBE channel

Quote Originally Posted by Tommie Soule View Post
    to curl it i just wrapped it around a paint brush, then blasted it with a hair dryer fer a bit, done.

sorry about the huge pics, my pc is only showin em at about 5" wide, took em on my mobile phone, chucked em on photobucket. i'll see what i can do.

the knight is GW bretonian green knight, 28mm. there are more pics of him but it's not all my work. i've been teaching a student on it for a while now so it'd be bad for me to take credit for it. but i'll see what he thinks about me posting more pics

got it sorted

And a YOUTUBE channel

There was a nice Green Knight at IMP in Sheffield the other week. Done in that McVey classic style, it looked very good indeed I've only tried those swirly designs the once & the only lesson learned was, practice on paper first! Not just for line quality but so that the design looks like a design & doesn't keep getting stuck in corners or turning in on itself. Obvious really I suppose :redface:

Do you use paint or ink for them? And do you use a rigger? (I only know of their existance, don't own any).

Thanks Tommie

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Quote Originally Posted by BPI View Post
    There was a nice Green Knight at IMP in Sheffield the other week. Done in that McVey classic style, it looked very good indeed I've only tried those swirly designs the once & the only lesson learned was, practice on paper first! Not just for line quality but so that the design looks like a design & doesn't keep getting stuck in corners or turning in on itself. Obvious really I suppose :redface:

Do you use paint or ink for them? And do you use a rigger? (I only know of their existance, don't own any).

Thanks Tommie

Cheers, B.
    I don't know what a rigger is i use paper taped to MDF draw the basics on in black bic biro(my fave) then varnish it, then paint.

And a YOUTUBE channel

Hi Tommie, sorry I mean the swirly green designs painted onto the cloth on the horse rather than the curly banners (I realise I didn't help there! ).

Rigger is a long bristled brush, the kind you'd see a sign-writer use for lettering...

http://www.winsornewton.com/products...-short-handle/

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Quote Originally Posted by BPI View Post
    Hi Tommie, sorry I mean the swirly green designs painted onto the cloth on the horse rather than the curly banners (I realise I didn't help there! ).

Rigger is a long bristled brush, the kind you'd see a sign-writer use for lettering...

http://www.winsornewton.com/products...-short-handle/

Cheers, B.
    nice one i may try one.
    on the project we use a mix of W-N and GW brushes

And a YOUTUBE channel

did these quick idea sketches while i was on the beach at hells mouth, Wales.

there were too many ideas floating round my head, i shoulda been surfing but painting bumped it off

And a YOUTUBE channel

so here we go, once i made my mind up.

And a YOUTUBE channel

And a YOUTUBE channel

That's gonna be a good banner.

all done

And a YOUTUBE channel

nice one, mate...
    that turned out great...
    the depth of the swirl is cool...

keep up the good work...

cheers
    jah

cheers guys!

my student is cool with me puttin the full thing up, enjoy.

And a YOUTUBE channel

Wow, very nice...it's a lot of green, but the different tones and textures totally works. I love all the swirlies on the tunic etc., and I swear the banner doesn't look free-handed...amazing!

Those are amazing banners! I do have a question though. Is that just plain ole paper you are painting them on?

Quote Originally Posted by MRickwood View Post
    Those are amazing banners! I do have a question though. Is that just plain ole paper you are painting them on?
    Yeah. Taped to a piece of MDF. The design was drawn on using biro then this was sealed with spray varnish. Then paint it if you need owt else just ask. Tommie.

And a YOUTUBE channel