Stew's WIP Log - Page 9
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Stew's WIP Log

Thanks DR. Looks like a trip to GW is in order. And thanks for the tip on the tool.

Bit more work on the tunic tidying things up and getting it closer to some photos I took of him with the light at the angle I want, and started working up the chain mail. I may have the tunic on his left side at little dark but I'll have to wait until i have the cloak blocked in on that side to see for sure.

Don't forget to give him a nice tan. The headgear suggest that he's currently in the middle east doing his 'holy' business.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Trying to get painting again.

Sorry for the crappy pics.

good to see you painting, keep sending in more picts
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

So. Frustrated painter here. No time and then when I do get some nothing works (sometimes anyway). This resulted in the Impaler above signing up for a frequent flyer club. No real damage done (apart from to my ego). Oh and him and almost all my other trolls visited the simple green bath. Clean slate time.

The guys that didn't are represented by this little fellow. One of two Earthborne Whelps in my Whelp unit (the rest will be blue). It was good to spend a couple of hours and almost get a figure finished even if he is only the size of my last thumb joint.

Looking at the photos I need to push the contrast on the dark skin further. The rest is either basecoated only or not at all. But I think another quick session on him and he'll be done. Should be able to do the second one much quicker I think. Then onto the blues.

My wife is very understanding. She gave me a hug after the flying troll incident and suggested I paint something I bought for her a while ago. So after some clean up (still need to work on that, couple of mold lines here that I just couldn't kill. More patience next time grasshopper.

Again mostly base coated with a little light and shade. I Airbrushed the skin as much as I could before starting to give some colour to the other areas to see how the scheme is working. The hair needs much more of the lighter colours and less of the shadows (I'm after a light strawberry blonde look). The blue for the shoes and the ribbon is closer to the highlight for these areas than the midtone so it will get darker and more saturated (more like the irises for overall colour). The skin is a little patchy (my trigger hand needs some practice). But you can get the best idea of what I'm going for by looking at her cleavage. I may take the shadows deeper and the lights will definitely come up.

Comments & Crits most welcome.
    Last edited by Stewsayer; 06-28-2014 at 04:11 AM.

So a 4:30 in the morning painting session probably not that great an idea. But I couldn't sleep and I'm really enjoying painting this little lady. It came off better than most of my insomnia inspired sessions. Some errors here and there but easily fixed.

Since the last post:
    I've tweaked the hair a lot and its getting closer to what I'm after. I think it still needs a couple more levels of highlights and some dots of white here and there for shine.
    Started darkening the blue of the ribbon and the shoes. I need to bring some highlights back on these and go a little deeper in the shadow areas.
    Base coated the pants. Not happy with the colour ATM. Its a little too yellow I want a more olive green.
    Tweaked the towel with more off white so its a little less green overall and darkened the shadows. Made a few booboos while doing the flesh that need cleaning up here too.
    Worked on the face and torso. The 4:30am session resulted in some poor paint placement but it can be fixed easily (near the left eye and on the chest in a couple of obvious places). Overall I'm reasonably happy with progress on it so far.

Things I'm not happy with or not sure about (advice appreciated here). Here eyes, the irises look off to me. I think the right hand one is slightly smaller and not quite circular enough. Also they don't pop enough. I think i need to try and get a very thin line around the outer edge of a darker blue. What do you guys think? I want to get the shape right and get them standing out enough before doing some more details and adding the pupil. Also I'm not sure that the shading on the flesh goes deep enough. The poor light in the photos doesn't help (sorry about that) neither does the fact that some of these new paints I'm fiddling with dry a bit too glossy (will be hitting this back with some matte medium later so may need to push the highlights more to account for its dulling effect). Again the cleavage shot and the front right shot probably give you the best idea of what she is really looking like.

Any suggestions would be helpful here (Miosh your expert opinion would be greatly appreciated if you are looking).
    Last edited by Stewsayer; 07-02-2014 at 03:57 AM.

Its good you havent been tempted to put a black line aline the bottom eyelid which would be unrealistic. Ive photoshopped one eye (quickly) to show some points that need to be added.
    Make sure the iris (blue part) is not a perfect circle so the upper eyelid cut across a bit.

Name:  rrrr.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  204.7 KB
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Thanks Lee I'll give that a shot.

I've never liked the black lining approach either. I ran in a tiny little bit of magenta (used in the lips too) to get the separation for the whites from the lids on her eyes its subtle but I think it worked ok. I'll shrink (and re-align) the irises as suggested. I can see from the ref you added that a dark line on the outer edge of the iris will work quite well. Once I have them sized right and aligned I'll try and add those details and the pupil.
    Last edited by Stewsayer; 07-03-2014 at 01:24 AM.

Can't help it. After a big family Zombie apocalypse on Friday night we decided our zombies needed some colour. Family project=me doing a lot of prep. Having inspected and made efforts at cleaning a couple of figures I decided the sheer weight of numbers and how good and bad some of the casts are made it pretty useless effort to do a thorough clean up (or any at all really). So I've washed around 150 of my Season 1 and 2 figs. Added washers to the bottom of 116 (We have a cunning storage plan involving magnets) of them and based 96 (thats what fits in the tray). That was yesterday. Today thanks to the rain (no cycling for me today) I got to spend 4 hrs with the airbrush undercoating and giving a decent hit of white from above to 96 of around 180 odd figures we have for the game. We plan on spending a bit more time on the survivors and zombivors.

Dark pic but it shows the airbrush work the best of the ones I took.

Back to my lovely lady at least once during the week (time to tackle those eyes).

Got an hour in this morning and made some adjustments to this ladies eyes. What do you think?

And some progress on the Zombies. An afternoon session with the kids got 12 Zombie Dogs done (the front 4 are mine)

And another couple of hours on these 3 and a few others in poor light resulted in the skin being a bit green and requiring another couple of hours correcting with glazes. Worked out alright on the runner and fatty. The big guy is still a little green I think but I'll see hoe he looks once the clothes are based. And yep lazy me cannot be bothered cleaning the mold lines off 200+ zombies.

So I managed a second day on the trot today. Bad me I started another new project. Looks like I might end up going back to having three or four on the go at once. Zombies for me. The lady for the lady wife and this and a couple of banners for my mate in Scotland...

The TIE Phantom in the process of de-cloaking. Maybe 5 hours on it so far (I am so slow). The de-cloaked sections of the ship are pretty close to done. Though I will be putting some reflections of the cloaking effect in a few of the canopy windows. The black back end will have a starfield eventually. The blue band is the edge of the shrinking cloaking field. I used some slow dying acrylic that I have been trying so its far from done yet. While I was waiting for that I did the fireball reflection in the LH side view. He didn't de-cloak for no reason. Hopefully another afternoon will see this one done (pretty good for me).

Any suggestions on it guys and girls?

Blog Entries

Ooh that looks super fun. Love the color on the de-cloaking cloak. I like the fire ball reflection but maybe add some reflected stars or even just white bars to the other parts of the canopy to show that it is super reflective? Or, on second glance maybe have the fire ball reflection on the glass only? I am not sure what scale this is... it looks pretty small.

Also if you can sneak in a couple of subtle red running lights, like maybe on the tips of the wings, it might pop that blue a little more.

Thanks Demi,

Yeah I need to glaze some of the hull colour back over the light and maybe even get rid of it altogether. I plan on adding some reflections of the cloaking field in other panels of the cockpit once I have the field done. I was thinking some stars too. Red Running lights sounds like a cool idea. I was going to do the tips of the cannons in Imperial Green to indicate that they are firing. Yeah it is small, 2 inches long by around 1 inch tall, (switching to metric) the cockpit glass sections are around 5mmx2.5mm for the largest.

Blog Entries

Ooh, reflecting the cloaking field in the windows is a great call. I think the fire ball looks too good to get rid of. Do the other windows with the field and see if it doesn't help.

Bad phrasing on my part there mate. Get rid of it from the hull sections, leave it on the windows.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stewsayer View Post
    Bad phrasing on my part there mate. Get rid of it from the hull sections, leave it on the windows.
    Oh good. Is this thing metal? I might try to pick up a couple of these. I have a plastic 1/100th AT-AT in the basement some where might be fun to have a Star Wars shelf.

Plastic. Some pretty good detail. I painted straight over the paint job that was on it (airbrush) with no real loss of detail. Its from the X-Wing miniatures game by Fantasy Flight. I asked the missus to get me the Tantive IV model from the same range for Christmas its something like a foot long. There are a heap of others in the range too. After this repaint I might do my whole collection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stewsayer View Post
    Plastic. Some pretty good detail. I painted straight over the paint job that was on it (airbrush) with no real loss of detail. Its from the X-Wing miniatures game by Fantasy Flight. I asked the missus to get me the Tantive IV model from the same range for Christmas its something like a foot long. There are a heap of others in the range too. After this repaint I might do my whole collection.
    Oh all right, this looks darn good for plastic prepainted figures. How do you like the game? We had a blast with the 40k RPG they did. Also the Cthulhu board games are pretty sweet.

I only have two starter sets (4x TIE fighters and 2x X-Wings), a TIE Advanced a B-Wing and an A-Wing but its a blast and quick to set up and play. The rules are pretty intuitive too. Highly recommend it.