Stew's WIP Log - Page 11
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Stew's WIP Log

Update!

I started by cutting a little out of the forearm. As Sionid pointed out he had/has gorilla arms. To my eye the forearm was too long just. I then resized the arm (not the hand) to 95% of its original size. As Demi pointed out his arms are big. Then I joined it back to the hand and tidied it up (the joint and end of the glove still need some work to get back where they were).

I left the hands as I think they are about right for the final 28mm, figure and the finger details can't go much smaller and still print. That and I'm a lazy sod who couldn't be bothered rejigging the grip around the bar.

To compensate for the smaller arms I had to move the torso and legs forward.

I lengthened the thigh and repositioned it, the boot and the knee to match the new position (Had to go back to an earlier leg set without the folds). I also added some more meat to the thigh to try and get it more in proportion with the upper arm. My skinny cyclist arms are maybe between 1/3 and 1/2 the size around that my thighs are (I do have chicken legs but also due to cycling). I still think the thighs aren't quite big enough and the arms are a little too big around. My problem is the arms seem to suit the torso size. And the legs are limited by the upright pose the bike requires and the positioning of the seat and foot plates.

All in all I think its an improvement and getting closer to the mark. What do you guys think?

Blog Entries

Oh yeah, much better. Now maybe just sit him down a little lower on that cushion like his weight is compressing it a tad more? I think i need to see this guy with a head on him.

Your wish is my command,

Tweaked him a little lower on the seat. Had to rotate the arms to get the shoulders to match. It may still need some tweaking. The head is from a Zbrush default tool. I eyeballed the scale but its pretty close. Advantageously with the shift down and back a little on the legs they match nicely with the boots without having to move the boots. And it shortened the lower leg slightly, another area I was dubious about.

Blog Entries

Oh yeah, that looks good! His head also shows the bulk of the armor. I think you are in good shape! Is this in Z-brush? I played around a bunch with sculptiris and sketch-up and had a pretty good time. I want to get back to the 3D design stuff one day just not sure if I will ever have 150 hours to figure out how Blender works. lol

The pics and most of the work is Zbrush. I used 3DS Max for box modeling the boot, that's why its much more blocky than the rest (still very low poly). I'll add details like straps and buckles to it in Max and then pull it into Zbrush for final details.

I started mucking about with Scupltris but found it pretty limiting. Zbrush has a steep learning curve but once you get the basics down its like sitting down with a sketch pad (works best with a pen tablet rather than a mouse) only better because I can't draw for S&^t!

Your suggestion of adding the head was great. I should have done it from the start, its pulls the whole thing together and makes me less concerned about things like the bulk of the arms. Thanks for that.

Started adding folds on the arm and legs. His left side only so far. More work to do both but symmetry in folds would suck. I think I may need to continue exaggerating some of the ones on the legs.

Yes, left side coming along good with those folds. They look natural. Maybe one or two folds very deep per section. Also, don't forget the boots. I feel like they should be a dark leather, and so would have many wrinkles.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Thanks BF,

I'm going to soften the folds in the sleeve cuff a little. They are a bit dramatic. And I haven't forgotten the boots. They are a separate piece and I need to add some seams and straps to them before getting stuck into folds and wrinkles. This mornings schedule is breakfast and then finish off the legs and sleeves. Hopefully I'll get to the boots and a second arm set with full length sleeves this weekend.

Ah yes. Well, a balanced breakfast should help you concentrate your efforts. Coming along great though!!! Most importantly, hopefully this is quite the learning process for ya!
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Always a learning process.

Not as successful today as hoped. Sorted the slightly too big folds on the left arm and managed about 2/3 of the rest of the trousers. My head was distracted by my airbrush and a JAG Demon that has been crying at me from the half done cabinet for far too long. I'll see if I can sort some pics tomorrow afternoon of the sculpt and the demon and a couple of other things I've been quietly getting on with between cycling sojourns.

Right on! You know I am a fan of your demons...

OK so a large update.

Sculpty stuff first...

I've softened the folds in the sleeve cuff on the left just a little as they stood out way too much to my eye. Do you guys think its enough?
    I started on the right leg folds still a lot to do there but it shouldn't take too long. I also fiddled with where the seat and his rear meet trying to make it look like things are changing shape due to his weight. I'm not happy with the left really and think my little loop fold needs to be dragged out in the middle and blended with the end of the middle softer fold coming over the top of the thigh and down. Opinions?
    Still getting to the boot s BF.

Painting. A local gaming buddy has just opened up a Good Games store in town and is keen for me to do some painting classes there (still trying to work out what and how much to cover, which kind of depends on whose interested of course, so sending him a survey form to stick in the store and on the FB page). Anyway I went and spent a couple of hours painting on Friday last week. Bad day as it was a Magic set release day and the shop was full of card geeks and very few mini geeks to be seen. I also had a shocking session as my brush seemed to be giving birth to lint at every stroke. must have been in the cup I took for water. I made some progress on the Towel Lady though and saved her from linty hairy legs mostly. Trouble is none of it really shows in the pics...

So I need to push the shadows further but without going too far (I seem to have gone too far around the eyes for now) Any advice on achieving that would be greatly appreciated.

And her base started a couple of weeks ago still a bit to do on it...

And BF as promised the Demon, what a lovely sculpt I can't believe its been sitting in my cupboard looking like a PP troll for 2 years...

So sculpting had the brakes put on yesterday because I had this thing bouncing around in my head. What you see is two sessions of learning the art of airbrushing. The only normal brush work so far is the base coat on the manacles and the hair. I started to airbrush the hair but being tired I drifted onto the kin a couple of times and decided not to keep going.

Now I really want to do well on this big guy (be nice to finish him and crack an 8 with 50 votes). So I'm going to need some help getting there. So some questions.
    Does the colour scheme for the flesh suck? I like where it's going but I think I'll take it somewhat darker (less pink/magenta more deep purple) thoughts?
    The hair. Will orange work or is my colour sense way off?
    The belly, hands and feet are a green tinged buff (maybe hard to see in the pics), working?
    I think the face will be purple in the shadows going to the green tinged buff for highlights. Good or bad idea?
    The horns. Light tips to dark at the base framing the face in darkness? or Light at the base going to dark at the tips, framing the face in lighter colour?
    The base? I haven't started and I haven't got any ideas yet. He's big and probably will benefit from a KISS principal base, Thoughts and suggestions?
    I want to include some more colours as glazes over the midtone areas once i have them established (unless the end up being too dark). Yellows and greens? Red should work too? Any other suggestions?

Apologies for the wall of pics and text!
    Last edited by Stewsayer; 10-01-2014 at 04:51 AM.

You've got a ton of very diverse stuff going on, that's for sure. Personally, if I had that many decisions to make at once I would implode and none of the projects would get done

Ill start in the same order as the OP. The sculpting seems to be coming along just fine. I've no suggestions as it looks just right to me. Definitely seems like he is settled into the cushion of his seat.

The lady. While no expert on female skin tones (I've done one but never completed her) I will say that less is more. I felt very compelled to treat her like a man and use a lot of contrast with deep shadows and bright highlights. But a woman's skin is very flat and featureless (much like Kansas) in comparison, so shadows tend to be very subtle. Highlights are less subtle but still minimalist. What I am saying I guess is that I think you don't need deeper shadows. Can't really say how I'd improve the product as it stands now.

The daemon. Gnarly sculpt indeed. I do like the colors, though it is admittedly risky and I personally may have gone with something else, but it does work. So you could go the safe route and use more natural, earthly colors or some reds common to the denizens of the Nine Hells. Or you can risk it for the biscuit and stay with what you got, potentially being rewarded with a wonderful end product. I like the idea of green HLs for the face as this supports the orange compliment. I'd also make the horns dark at the base and light at the top. Finally, no need for a crazy base here since there's no plan that jumps out to you immediately. There are some interesting ore made display bases that are rocky earth with the chaos symbol formed with lava. I'm sure you've seen this before. Or maybe shoot for the moon. Go completely off your rocker and put him in a contrasting base. Such as on a beautiful forest in springtime with flowers and waterfalls, etc. I am doing this on my next project with Goliath.

Hope you find some of this rambling of use

Yeah I must have some attention disorder going on. I've been struggling to do any painting this year (may not seem that way) and forcing myself into trying to finish stuff that I've lost interest in. I've decided that with the limited time I have I should do what I'm interested in. The girl is great fun to work on and like I said the demon I just couldn't get out of my head. I'll get back to the zombies shortly. The sculpt I have to get done soonish and it was boring me but I've really started to get into it since posting the pics here and getting some feedback. Maybe my mad approach will rejuvenate the interest, it seems to be working this week at least.

Thanks for the comments.
    With the girl what I can see in hand is being eaten by the camera. The Artist acrylics I'm using have some glossy sheen to them so maybe the reflection is messing with the amount of exposure (I do set manual and under expose a couple of stops to get the colour as close to reality as I can). She could stand an all over coat of matte medium to kill the shine. I'll see what she looks like after that and if it improves the pics.

With the demon, I'll see if anyone else chimes in but I'm inclined to go with the "Bold" colour choice I have, though adding some earthy toned glazes sounds like a plan (time for a reference art search, pics that use lots of hints of colour). For the base the chains stand out to me. He looks to have just broken free from something. So maybe a cell, cobbles or tiles with broken chains on the floor, or a summoning altar bare rock, or man made in an outdoor setting or in a temple setting? Hmm... I have some nice big bits of natural local dried timber. So I'm thinking a piece of this of the right size with the sides oiled and the scene built on top ( I should take some pics).

Thanks for looking.

Like the base idea. I was kind of considering a similar theme for Goliath. If you find a pre made display base with a dungeon-y/torture chamber/executioner's block feel, please alert me.

Bit more done.

I've been concentrating on his left side, taking it more toward purple.
    How is the light placement looking? A couple of areas on the shoulder are off what about the rest?
    Started to glaze some shadow area on the face and work on the mouth and teeth (very rough at this stage).
    I also experimented with picking out the texture of the skin (in places) that the sculpt has everywhere. Only shading the creases so far. It needs more variation and I need to go back and add some highlights to make them pop.

Your thoughts so far?

On another note I decided to back Figones Figopedia Indiegogo campaign, https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/figopedia/x/8821815. I've got a lot out of Jeremie's videos and tutorials so looking forward to this.
    Last edited by Stewsayer; 10-08-2014 at 04:58 AM.

That sculpt is just awesome but your paint job brings it to life. Well done.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Oh, wow, I'm mucho impressed-o
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

About the bathing lady: I...wouldn't say women's skin is flat and featureless, but I do think that the subtlety you have going is really nice. There's a lot I like about that mini, including the fact that you managed to define her eyes without making it look like she's wearing makeup (hard!) and that she's kinda dewy-shiny, which makes it look like she did, in fact, just get out of the bath. So be cautious with that matte medium!

The vibrant demon is looking really cool, stay the course and keep bringing out that musculature and all those lovely wrinkly bits.