Stew's WIP Log - Page 14
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Stew's WIP Log

So just want to poke my thread and SHow you guys some more of what I'm up to now and some stuff I have finished recently.

I have my same old project ADD going on with 4 commissions rattling around.

I have made some progress on the titan but its all base coats on the upper body. The weather here is turning from Summer and not so great for airbrushing (I work on my back porch) to not more winter and not so great for airbrushing So i need to get ahead of the curve while the weather is suitable and get the armor panels on the body done. So no update pics for him.

Commission No.2 I am around 40% through Dread Fleet set...

I got it already assembled and have had to do a little surgery to allow access to some of the detail. Also I haven't done any of the water yet as I want to do it all together to make sure its consistent.

No. 3
    A work mate saw some fiddling I did with my airbrush on a canvas (Practice for painting my X-wing gaming table, that I still haven't done) and asked me to do one for his wall...

No.4 is a job lot of Maifaux and I'm down to the last figure (no pics of him yet) But here are few I completed (TT standard quick jobs).

^Painted him left handed while my shoulder was broken after another bike crash...Iwas surprised with how well he came out. LH was slower but didn't take long to adapt. The hardest part was not being able to hold the mini in my right hand and working with it in a vise on the table.

AWWW YEAH STEW. Great stuff man. Glad to see ya plugging away at more stuff. Im the same way too.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

That's impressive both from a number of projects point of view and in terms of how varied your painting techniques are. Very cool!

Sounds like you need to stay off bikes!

that jackalope is rather disturbing ...

Add that jackalope to the wrong handed painting thread sir! that is tops
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

more than a small part of me hates you for your ambidextrous painting...

Great projects on the go!
    Must say that I do not see any difference between your right and left hand works.... oO'
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

Krule: I prefer to stay on them myself. I mean its not the fall that breaks you but the sudden stop when you find the road. And I'm glad the freaky rabbit has the desired effect.

Dr. Bob: Wow thanks mate. That would have to be one of the best compliments I have ever gotten on my painting. I try to paint each mini on its merits and hope that I don't fall into the trap of doing the same things the same way all the time. It seems I am managing it.

Zab: Where do I find this thread mate? Went looking but must have missed it.

Maenas: There was a difference trust me. Normally my painting is glacier slow. With the Jackalopes it was a lot slower.

More titan work today. Yesterday's effort on the canvas...

Looks a little boring (the new bit). It should improve a lot once I get the atmospheric reflections/refraction and Aurora effect.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...t-Wrong-Handed

a fun little thread open to any one who wants to try painting with their off hand, or maybe if they got hurt and have no choice...
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

A little progress on a couple of my projects...

Managed to get the armour pattern laid in on most of the upper body parts. Just the Shoulder Plates, Power Claw and Gattling Canon body to go.

Started on the gas giant on the canvas. Hoping to get this and its six moons (it represents an oxygen atom and is an obtuse comment to "Just Breathe", I plan on messing with my mates head a little telling him I've thrown some hidden meanings into the painting but not what or where). done and move on to the atmosphere and corona effects on the sun and large planet portion this weekend with a view to finishing the lot by the end of next week.

The Skabrus complete.

Today's progress. And the big planet is done. Some over spray cleanup to do and a bit of tidying around the edge. But overall very happy.

I've moved on from here and tidied up the black and painted on some stars. Home stretch on this one.

Lookin good man. Keep it up.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Those stars and planets are looking awesome.

Thanks gents.

It looks even better now I've tidied up the overs spray and put some distant stars on. Will see if I can upload an updated pic over the next couple of days. Still having finish issues with the black. I used a brush around the objects and the black i used there VMC Black seems much more shiny than the Liquitex spray can stuff of the rest. I plan on doing a matte clear coat to finish and I'm hoping that evens it all out. Weird as VMC Black on a mini is really quite matte.

you remind me of some artist that sell their canvas here in "las Ramblas" there are a lot of them that paint planets inf front of your eyes ant it is almost hypnotic (maybe fumes from the spray can have something...) Its starting to look really nice!!

Did you know that airbrushed paint is more matt than when you spread it with a brush? maybe that is what is cheating you... Also remember that not all the stars are white, they come in yellow, red, blue, orange (maybe you have those colours on but I cannot appreciate the immensity of the empty space you created without being there ^^

Cheers Maenas,

I think I tracked it down. The airbrush medium I have is slightly glossy. I suspect enough to make the normally matte VMC black gets a little glossy by comparison to the Liquitex spray can black I used. Going back with both has gotten rid of the worst of it and the rest has been hidden by repainting the stars and the corona effect around the suns.

I was going to use some other colours over some of the stars. That was the original plan. But now that I have the other elemnents all in place I like it with just the white. I accented them a little with the mist through the diagonal, some with lense flare effexts and some with star bursts and a couple of real life constellations (Crux AKA the Southern Cross for home and the Easel for obvious reasons).

Its all but complete here. I have since coloured the Aurora effect on the big sliver of planet in the corner and will be giving it a few layers of matte clear coat over the next few days before handing it to its new owner (might get a good photo or 3 before that).

Ooooh! that diagonal mist and the glare of some stars really adds to the general composition. It's really cool.

I would recommend you to watch Intergalactica for some spectacular and mesmerizing outer space planes. (take care though it's 3h long)