Stew's WIP Log - Page 12
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Stew's WIP Log

Blog Entries

Sculpted pants look good! Cargo pockets or a pistol holster might be fun.

Thanks for the comments.

@Sionid. I'll hold off the matte medium until the very end. Maybe selective use to flatten the finish on her shoes, pants, hair and towel might be the way to go? Keep the skin with a slight sheen (maybe instead of matte medium some satin varnish).

@Demihuman. I asked the boss about the holster a while ago and its not part of the brief. The cargo pockets are in the pipeline though.

More sculpting today and more demon...hopefully pics to come.

More sculpting,

BF started working on the boots. Straps and buckles added. Getting to the creases.

Finished up the leg and arm folds. Pockets to come.

Is that 3d modeling program?
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Digga,

I'm using 3dsMax for basic shapes like the boots so far and ZBrush for the details.

Coolness. I have heard about Zbrush but not sure what the difference is between that and 3dmax.
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Digga,

Max is pretty versatile. Mouse driven. And really good for precise changes and sharp edged objects. But it would take some serious skill and patience when it comes to manipulating fine detail. I use it for building up base meshes for things where I want to retain some sharp edges or do repeatable detail. I can get the boot straps on this guy for instance to be very similar in size very easily.

Zbrush is more of a sketching/drawing program and to me works best with a pen tablet. Its all about manipulating huge amounts of polygons quickly and without thinking of the polys. Really great for soft organic details. Hard surfaces are possible but a lot of work. You can take a basic sphere and turn it into anything and do it pretty quickly once you get the hang of it. Its like working with digital clay.

Thanks Stew, I never got the hang of 3dmax while in school. I could dabble with it but could never make anything worth showing :P What your doing with it is all that more impressive to me because I know how difficult it really is.
    ." -Me-

Some quick initial work on some banners for my mates Black Templars. Got to rub the pencil marks back on the pale one quite a bit before moving on. Looking forward to getting back onto the demon and these once my current round of shift is finished.
    Last edited by Stewsayer; 10-13-2014 at 03:57 PM.

Nice looking banners dude.
    ." -Me-

Yea, the banners definitely looks very promising and I really like the awesome demon on the previous page, very original choice of colors and nice technical display. I think it would look even more awesome with some more muted colors in the lower part to give a illusion that the light is bouncing around (sky->ground->figure->back etc etc haha.. I guess you all know that) well Its just a matter of taste keep up the awesome work man!

Edit: damn autocorrect!
    Last edited by Esco; 10-13-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    Ars longa, vita brevis

Thanks guys,

Esco: Yep I'm planning some serious messing with glazes once I have the basics of the skin down. I'll definitely work on something like you suggest. Some greys and browns glazed over the lower areas.

The skin is just covered in sculpted texture I want to bring out. I'm thinking lots of different subtle colours to create a mottled look over the purple.

Some more done. I'm finally happy with the overall color of the purple skin. Still need to boost the lights some and finish off the tail area. Then onto the belly hands etc. and face.

Now I realise what he reminds me of... Spyro!

Lol. Spyro unchained.
    ." -Me-

That's a great start the purple has gone down really well, the light and dark starting to form too. As you say push them more and more! One area of concern is the Orange hair, at the moment it's so saturated and clashing it's taking the eye away from the excellent skin, have you thought about changing that area at all?

None the less, what a great start!

Thanks Mega,

Yes the orange hair is going. It was a late evening low light experiment that didn't come off. I'm going for varied tones of de-saturated yellow and yellow brown instead.

Sounds ideal!

I'm looking forward to seeing those results

Hi,
    Been a while. Life and all of that. I have been painting some but not what I was working on before. A couple of commissions came up and I decided to come out of my shell and give them a go. The clients have been really happy with the results and I have been really pleased with my speed to get those results. Thought I'd share this one with you here. Its no longer WIP and once the gallery Photo gets approved I'll post in the other section too.

I've been playing X-wing and showed the guys the pics of the Tie Phantom from further up my thread here (the finished ones). One of them asked me to repaint one of his Firesprays. He wanted it done up as the Andrasta from the card art in the upcoming Scum and Villiany release. After a chat I managed to convince him to change the nose art and here are the final results of about 10 hours work (really fast for me). What do you think? Oh and please send me some votes once it gets approved.